Not coming out!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2017, 11:50 PM
RE: Not coming out!
(24-02-2017 08:28 PM)mustardseed Wrote:  I wish I could proudly claim to be an Agnostic but I'm not there yet. I was raised Southern Baptist and it would break my mom's heart to think I was not going to join her in heaven. She is 80 and suffers from depression so I'm not going to add to her laundry list of things to be sad about. Also, I work for a very religious organization. If I came out as Agnostic I truly believe my future career would suffer. Yes, I'm considering a change of employers but that's a different discussion.

I recently discovered TTA podcast and totally enjoy it. I started investigating the evolution theory to try and understand how it disproves creationism. Geesh! No wonder people decide to believe creationism. Evolution is science that requires some effort to think and understand! It's much simpler to just go with God said it , I believe it! GAG!

So that's the first item on my list - to learn about evolution. I'm sure there are lot's of resources to be found on this site. I'm looking forward to the journey. In the meantime I'm still holding on to my mustard seed size faith "just in case" Smile

Welcome to TTA. You are kind not to upset your mom, and smart not to jeopardize your job. Many people stay silent agnostics or atheists their entire lives, although it is sad that they can't be themselves in our soxiety yet. Many others go back and forth between belief and non-belief in response to life changes. You should be comfortable with your own convictions first and foremost.

As a geologist, I think your choice to study evolution will bring you not just an understanding of how we came to be, but knowledge of the true nature of the earth's long life and how it came to be the planet we live on today.

I heartily recommend the excellent book or three part PBS series "Your Inner Fish" as an enjoyable way to learn about major evidence for the natural emergence of new species over time. This show approaches the subject using fossils to show how small changes to a common body prototype result in species that look and live nothing like the common ancestor. Even the discussions of the genes that accomplish this are fun.

The streaming video is $7.99 from Amazon, and the book by Neil Shubin ranges from a couple of dollars used to $19 for a new hardcover. Get the video. The realistic animations are great.

However you choose to proceed, I wish you the best in your search for a world and universe that makes sense to you. Yes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dorsie's post
24-02-2017, 11:58 PM
(24-02-2017 11:50 PM)Dorsie Wrote:  I heartily recommend the excellent book or three part PBS series "Your Inner Fish" ... The streaming video is $7.99 from Amazon,

Pay for content? We don't pay for no stinkin' content.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
25-02-2017, 12:11 AM
Heya, welcome Smile

I made this video to clear up common misconceptions about evolution, and to explain the very basics:

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
25-02-2017, 12:41 AM (This post was last modified: 25-02-2017 12:47 AM by kim.)
(24-02-2017 11:50 PM)Dorsie Wrote:  ---
I heartily recommend the excellent book or three part PBS series "Your Inner Fish" as an enjoyable way to learn about major evidence for the natural emergence of new species over time. This show approaches the subject using fossils to show how small changes to a common body prototype result in species that look and live nothing like the common ancestor. Even the discussions of the genes that accomplish this are fun.

The streaming video is $7.99 from Amazon, and the book by Neil Shubin ranges from a couple of dollars used to $19 for a new hardcover. Get the video. ---

That IS a great series! PBS gives me a lady boner. Heart

Ahem ...

Hi Musturdseed, ... cheapskate here Wink
... This really is a great series! Your town's Public Library might have this on DVD. My Public Library has it and I live in a shit hole in the middle of nowhere. If they don't have it, have them get it from another library. They are really into the lending thing.
Libraries kick ass!! Thumbsup

(Ah - see there - Girly's got this for you. You came to the right place! Wink )
Take your time with your doubt, Seedling. It isn't belief that brought you here ... it's that thing that has been gnawing at the back of your mind that tells you ... something isn't the way you were told it was supposed to be.

There is a LOT of information to take in. Seriously - take your time and relax into your new-found freedom.

You are in the closet elsewhere but, here and in your mind - you are free.

And you are certainly not alone - ask anything you want. You are liable to get an overwhelming variety of answers to your questions.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
25-02-2017, 01:49 AM
Welcome.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
25-02-2017, 02:49 AM
Hi there! Lots of sciency people here so if you have a question, just ask!

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
25-02-2017, 02:49 AM (This post was last modified: 25-02-2017 02:53 AM by RocketSurgeon76.)
Other than to say "WELCOME!!", I want to state that your approach to science, "I don't understand this at all, so I'm going to find out" is exactly right... and not just for science, for everything. If more people had this attitude, I think we'd have many fewer problems in the world.

I, too, grew up Southern Baptist and had to shake off all the misinformation I was fed throughout my upbringing, and start learning a great many things afresh. My ever-growing curiosity led me to study biology full time in college... and eventually, a full rejection of mythology/religion as a basis for useful knowledge about the world. It turned out to be pretty simple, once I had a few basic principles down, and I was (and remain) astounded at how well the Theory of Evolution explains a great many things about the world around us. I'm totally confident that you will, too.

All that said, if you have any questions about the material you are trying to understand, there are several of us who are trained in evolutionary biology, including myself. (I am a former field biologist but with a study-background/focus in viral genetics, and my wife still works in evolutionary genetics-- she studies worms with a gene that we also inherited which, when switched on, causes them to age at half their normal rate, with fascinating implications for humans if/when they understand its interactions with other genes and development well enough to safely test it in "higher" species and eventually in us.) Feel free to ask any "stupid" question you like... bonus points if you can stump me! Big Grin

I totally recommend the "Your Inner Fish" series. We're not as different from the rest of the animal world as we'd like to think! That's why we share some genes with almost every multicellular animal out there.

If you're curious to see it from a more "layman's point of view", there's a YouTuber I've very much come to respect named Tony Reed, who runs a series of short videos called "How Creationism Taught Me Real Science", in which he goes through each of the infamous Creationist objections to real biology and examines how they misunderstand and/or mislead their audiences about what science actually claims. (The animated intro is way too long in the first few videos... just skip it. Might be worth watching once. He shortens it in later episodes.) What I like most is that he starts out by stating the Creationist case as accurately as he can, first, and then "investigates" its claims. Good stuff.

This is the first episode. Enjoy! Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
25-02-2017, 03:52 AM
We're like 60% banana or something.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
25-02-2017, 01:58 PM
Welcome!
25-02-2017, 03:35 PM
Welcome to the forum!

I am happy to hear that you are excited to learn about the theory of evolution.
I recommend that along with that you learn about The Scientific Method. This is the foundation that all science is based upon and the process with which it works. This will, among other things, teach you what exactly a scientific theory is. It's a bit different from what people imagine.
Once you understand the principles that science works by, you have a better foundation for understanding such things as the theory of evolution.
Don't worry, it's not very complicated Smile I can have a look around for good sources if you'd like.

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
[+] 2 users Like LadyDay's post