Not coming out!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2017, 08:22 PM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2017 06:20 AM by Dorsie.)
RE: Not Coming Out
(24-02-2017 11:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(24-02-2017 11:50 PM)Dorsie Wrote:  I heartily recommend the excellent book or three part PBS series "Your Inner Fish" ... The streaming video is $7.99 from Amazon,

Pay for content? We don't pay for no stinkin' content.

I bought the series myself because it was a bargain, but it's great that it's on YouTube. Thanks for posting it. Here is the third episode, "Your Inner Monkey."

Edit: My video link was working, then stopped. I am a newbie here, but will try to fix it in another post. My apologies.
It still works in the quote in Rocket Surgeon76's reply below.
Edit: Since the TTA site downtime 2/25/17, there is a problem viewing one's own video links in the original post when using full site setting on an iPad. It should be visible to users on other configurations. Arg, CrApple.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dorsie's post
26-02-2017, 01:00 AM
RE: Not coming out!
(25-02-2017 08:22 PM)Dorsie Wrote:  
(24-02-2017 11:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Pay for content? We don't pay for no stinkin' content.

I bought the series myself because it was a bargain, but it's great that it's on YouTube. Thanks for posting it. Here is the third episode, "Your Inner Monkey."

I totally forgot about the part in this where he describes the evolution of our advanced color vision, which a scientist proved was the result of a single duplication mutation of the gene for opsin, right next to the old gene, followed by a few point mutations that caused it to be sensitive to an entirely new spectrum... and that the brain was already able to interpret the new signals as hundreds of new colors (a multiplicative effect)... and he proved it by injecting the human version of the opsin gene into a low-color-vision monkey.

Next time we get one of the Creationists who claim that "new information" (I hate that term!) cannot evolve naturally, this is a better example than the one I had been using, or simply trying to explain the types of mutations that do result in this.

Granted, last time I had the conversation, I literally pointed them to the National Institutes of Health's PubMed database, where numerous papers on the evolution of "new information" in the genome are published... and they still denied it, so... *shrug*

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink", as they say.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
26-02-2017, 02:11 AM
(26-02-2017 01:00 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(25-02-2017 08:22 PM)Dorsie Wrote:  I bought the series myself because it was a bargain, but it's great that it's on YouTube. Thanks for posting it. Here is the third episode, "Your Inner Monkey."

I totally forgot about the part in this where he describes the evolution of our advanced color vision, which a scientist proved was the result of a single duplication mutation of the gene for opsin, right next to the old gene, followed by a few point mutations that caused it to be sensitive to an entirely new spectrum... and that the brain was already able to interpret the new signals as hundreds of new colors (a multiplicative effect)... and he proved it by injecting the human version of the opsin gene into a low-color-vision monkey.

Next time we get one of the Creationists who claim that "new information" (I hate that term!) cannot evolve naturally, this is a better example than the one I had been using, or simply trying to explain the types of mutations that do result in this.

Granted, last time I had the conversation, I literally pointed them to the National Institutes of Health's PubMed database, where numerous papers on the evolution of "new information" in the genome are published... and they still denied it, so... *shrug*

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink", as they say.

I need to watch the series again. I had forgotten the details of the color vision enhancement. There are lots of easily understood gems like that in the shows that can be understood without a lot of biochemistry.
[+] 1 user Likes Dorsie's post
26-02-2017, 07:07 AM
Wow! You guys are awesome! Thank you all so much for the wealth of information! I will start watching the videos today. I know it takes time out of your day to respond on forums like this so I truly appreciate all of you!
It's funny, after making my introduction, TTA forum seemed to be down most of the day yesterday. Was god sending me a message? haha!
OK - off to exercise my brain with the PBS series =)
[+] 3 users Like mustardseed's post
26-02-2017, 07:30 AM
[quote='Robvalue' pid='1140899' dateline='1488003077']
Heya, welcome Smile

I made this video to clear up common misconceptions about evolution, and to explain the very basics:

Thanks for the video! I actually learned something! Where was I in 8th grade science?! oh yeah...S Baptist christian school...
[+] 2 users Like mustardseed's post
26-02-2017, 07:58 AM
Welcome, mustardseed@ I'm new to TTA as well.

I want to thank everyone for the videos and links to outside articles you all post. You provide much better information than Google. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes port_of_call's post
26-02-2017, 07:06 PM
(26-02-2017 07:07 AM)mustardseed Wrote:  Wow! You guys are awesome! Thank you all so much for the wealth of information! I will start watching the videos today. I know it takes time out of your day to respond on forums like this so I truly appreciate all of you!
It's funny, after making my introduction, TTA forum seemed to be down most of the day yesterday. Was god sending me a message? haha!
OK - off to exercise my brain with the PBS series =)

Thank you, mustardseed. We are always delighted to meet someone who is willing to consider the vast amount of evidence that supports evolution.

I've never understood the antagonism. Any god who would make a universe that changes over time would certainly want to automate the process of life adapting to those changes. No one likes a micromanager and they are generally bad at their jobs. Wink

I hope you enjoy the amazing discoveries that await you.Smile
27-02-2017, 09:10 AM
Hi new friend, and welcome!
27-02-2017, 08:10 PM
in case it's not obvious i'm new to forums also but i'll figure it out =)
So far my husband and i have made it through the inner fish and inner reptile. i'm blown away by the yolk sac we still have at conception. It was also amazing to see the connection to the first creatures coming out of the ocean. The videos raise a lot of questions but i'll save them for a different posting.
Thanks again to all of you for the warm welcome and sharing of information!
[+] 1 user Likes mustardseed's post
28-02-2017, 06:04 AM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2017 07:10 AM by Dorsie.)
Smile
(27-02-2017 08:10 PM)mustardseed Wrote:  in case it's not obvious i'm new to forums also but i'll figure it out =)
So far my husband and i have made it through the inner fish and inner reptile. i'm blown away by the yolk sac we still have at conception. It was also amazing to see the connection to the first creatures coming out of the ocean. The videos raise a lot of questions but i'll save them for a different posting.
Thanks again to all of you for the warm welcome and sharing of information!

The part that I loved was the three part structure of a fin and how easy it is to modify it into an arm. And the sonic hedgehog gene's function is shear simplicity but makes seemingly radical changes.

I'm so glad you and hubby are enjoying the series. Here is another attempt to post the "Your Inner Monkey" link correctly.

If this one doesn't work, just search Youtube for "Your Inner Monkey." All of my other video posts have been OK.

ETA: It still doesn't show up for me, but you have the search string.Smile