Not enough Skeptic TV shows.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2016, 12:15 PM
RE: Not enough Skeptic TV shows.
I think there are some subtleties in skeptical shows that are good for critical thinking and yet don't assault the religious dogma directly. Like MythBusters and Penn & Tellers: Fool Us, Bullshit and Tell A Lie and a variety of other science/discovery type shows that debunk stuff.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2016, 07:55 PM
^Penn and Teller's Bullshit does attack religious dogma directly.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
11-02-2016, 08:15 PM
Clearly what we need to do is get Captain Disillusion his own TV show. Yes

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
11-02-2016, 08:44 PM
I dont need more skeptic shows. I'd like to see non believers more positively represented.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
12-02-2016, 02:15 PM
I've had an Idea for a Skeptic Ghost show.

Find a house/location that is supposedly haunted.

We would set up cameras threw out the property that would run for a month. (not just 4 hours and chosen locations) A complete grid cover. A hand held camera is never pointed in the right direction when a "ghost appears".

My team would consist of
An Electrician: that could test for exposed wiring, or have an accurate reading of electrical readings.

An Illusionist: That can explain how tricks of light can fool the eye. And search for con artists)

Or maybe a reformed Con man. Someone that once worked as a psychic that knows the tricks of the trade.

A Psychiatrist. (If the family is going threw real mental trauma, they may need psychological help and would need a therapists to help them threw it.)

A Personal that works in the entertainment industry. (a person that knows the ins and outs of audio and camera work) Not just 4 schmucks with a cam-corder walking into a dark room.

A Historian: I think this is self explanatory. But to find a accurate history of the location.

We'd even open the first half of the show to the believers let them go into the property to get findings. Or locations that have been ruled out as haunted. We would then come in a give our professional annalist.

Maybe we come up with more reasonable answers, maybe we we can't come up with anything, or maybe we confirm the assertions.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
12-02-2016, 04:13 PM
(12-02-2016 02:15 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  I've had an Idea for a Skeptic Ghost show.

Find a house/location that is supposedly haunted.

We would set up cameras threw out the property that would run for a month. (not just 4 hours and chosen locations) A complete grid cover. A hand held camera is never pointed in the right direction when a "ghost appears".

My team would consist of
An Electrician: that could test for exposed wiring, or have an accurate reading of electrical readings.

An Illusionist: That can explain how tricks of light can fool the eye. And search for con artists)

Or maybe a reformed Con man. Someone that once worked as a psychic that knows the tricks of the trade.

A Psychiatrist. (If the family is going threw real mental trauma, they may need psychological help and would need a therapists to help them threw it.)

A Personal that works in the entertainment industry. (a person that knows the ins and outs of audio and camera work) Not just 4 schmucks with a cam-corder walking into a dark room.

A Historian: I think this is self explanatory. But to find a accurate history of the location.

We'd even open the first half of the show to the believers let them go into the property to get findings. Or locations that have been ruled out as haunted. We would then come in a give our professional annalist.

Maybe we come up with more reasonable answers, maybe we we can't come up with anything, or maybe we confirm the assertions.

I've been listening to the Paranormal Skeptics Academy podcast. He talks about a show on Destination America Network that did that, the Paranormal Home Inspectors.
One guy would go through the home and debunk everything that the owners claimed they were experiencing. Just simple things like air vents being blocked causing "cold spots" in rooms. Or people thinking toys in the middle of the floor were ghosts when they had cats in the house.Facepalm

The thing is, he would provide his reasonable explanations and then they would be dismissive of his explanations and take the rest of the show doing ghost hunting and getting spooked at every noise like a bunch of idiots.

Unfortunately the target audience of these shows doesn't want natural, mundane explanations for things, they want to believe in spooky supernatural stuff.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
13-02-2016, 09:41 AM
I found the Paranormal Home Inspectors on youtube:

I think I'll catch a few of these, the first part has the inspector Brian coming in and providing rather obvious explanations, then the last part has all of the goofy stuff.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
13-02-2016, 10:34 AM
I used to be intrigued by Psychics. But now they just piss me off.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
14-02-2016, 09:47 PM
Mythbusters is about to disappear too... To be replaced with Ice Road Shit Pickers.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post