Not exactly pedophilia, but

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-01-2012, 11:43 AM
Not exactly pedophilia, but
Yesterday, I got into an emotional twitter row with a dude who claimed that if 12 year olds claimed to be mature enough, they should be able to have sex with anyone. He argued that 12 year olds could be mature and have sexual joy and feelings. My response was that I acknowledge the 12 year olds claim sexual maturity at 12 years old, but the same 12 year old is very likely to regret that behaviour when hitting say 30 years old. I think that fewer people probably is hurt by waiting a few years to have sex, but more people is hurt my having consentual sex at 12 years old. That's why I think that a sexual legal age at 16 is okay to keep. I know that people will still have sex anyway, and 12 year olds will still keep having sex both with other 12 year olds, but sadly also with some predatorial 30-60 year olds.

There was several different opinions yesterday, but I think most people agreed with me. I also have to admit that I am questioning this mans (guessing 30-40 years old judging from his picture and full name, and everyone knows where he works, I wonder what the very profiled company thinks about that?) need to justify 12 year olds sexual behaviour. To me it's creepy, and I do absolutely not consider myself a prude! I always say that consenting adults may love, have sex with, marry or eat whatever they like, not my business. Please feel free to fuck whatever, whoever, whenever you want. Not my business. But keep your paws off any person not an adult.

What do you think?

"Never underestimate how narrow-minded, petty and stupid people can be". Mark Fulton, forum member
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Cubic Bubbles's post
29-01-2012, 11:58 AM
RE: Not exactly pedophilia, but
(29-01-2012 11:43 AM)Cubic Bubbles Wrote:  What do you think?

Creepy about sums it up. ... And also not very bright if he's making these arguments in the open under his own name.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-01-2012, 12:14 PM
Lots of 12-year-olds might say that they're mature enough to drink alcohol or drive a car or live on their own. At 12 years old you really don't have much of a perspective on life yet. It's hard for a kid that age to be truly discerning and be able to tell when they're being used or manipulated. That is hard enough for adults as it is. There are so many reasons why that's a bad idea.

That guy is really creepy.

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like kineo's post
29-01-2012, 12:16 PM
12 year olds have all the necessary motor skills to drive too, yet we don't give a 12 year old a driver's license, because their emotional / mental level is not at a point where it's safe for them to do so.

Sex is the same. It can have consequences, both emotional and physical, and kids at that age are vulnerable to those.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
29-01-2012, 12:45 PM
So happy for your responses! Feeling wordless and stupid, I take the liberty to use your wisdom further, hope that it is ok. Thank you guys!

"Never underestimate how narrow-minded, petty and stupid people can be". Mark Fulton, forum member
29-01-2012, 01:04 PM
I am unsure of the exact reason why the age minimum is the way it is. I'm sure it has to do with the dangers of having sexual intercourse at a young age. It is very stressful and might cause harm to an underdeveloped body. Also, the dangers of early pregnancies are very real and can be fatal.

I agree with the young being unable to make accurate decisions at that young of an age.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 1 user Likes Hamata k's post
29-01-2012, 02:22 PM (This post was last modified: 29-01-2012 02:26 PM by GirlyMan.)
(29-01-2012 01:04 PM)Hamata k Wrote:  I am unsure of the exact reason why the age minimum is the way it is. I'm sure it has to do with the dangers of having sexual intercourse at a young age.

Think it's mainly 'cause it's creepy. Age of consent was 12 in Canada until 1890 when it was raised to 14 where it stayed until 2008 when it was raised to 16. But it's cold up there, I can see how things might just happen when you have to rely on body heat for warmth.

It's still 14 in many parts of Europe ... and the winner is ... ding, ding, ding ... Spain at 13 yo!

Of course if you're a U.S. citizen, it doesn't matter what jurisdiction it occurs in, it's still illegal.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
29-01-2012, 02:27 PM
(29-01-2012 01:04 PM)Hamata k Wrote:  I am unsure of the exact reason why the age minimum is the way it is. I'm sure it has to do with the dangers of having sexual intercourse at a young age. It is very stressful and might cause harm to an underdeveloped body. Also, the dangers of early pregnancies are very real and can be fatal.

I agree with the young being unable to make accurate decisions at that young of an age.

The rationale is that a young person is generally considered not to be able to provide informed consent. That is why sex with an underage person is considered non-consensual and therefor statutory rape.

As a general observation, the more rural (or frontier) a society, the lower the age of consent. I suspect this is for very pragmatic reasons.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
29-01-2012, 04:07 PM
There may be the odd 12 year old who would be mature enough to engage in that behaviour without any psychological consequences. However that isn't a nearly good enough reason to legalise it. If you had a group of 1000 twelve year olds there would be no way of differentiating the 999 who would face consequences later in life from the 1 who may not. It would also leave all twelve year olds open to exploitation.

Besides, I would view anyone in their mid-teens or older who wanted to have sex with a twelve year old with a hell of a lot of suspicion. Like people said, it's creepy.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
29-01-2012, 05:40 PM
You all say it's creepy but who decides what our views should be? Who put that idea out in the first place? Better yet, why do we all accept it as the correct and right thing. For all we know it could be perfectly normal in other parts of the world. I dare say that it's our culture that decides these things. I'm not advocating it. But as an aspiring philosopher I have to ask these questions.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!