Not feeling great.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-01-2015, 01:59 PM
Not feeling great.
I finished a cup of coffee about twenty mins. ago, it had about three times the amount of beans in it than I'm used to and now my ears are ringing and I'm feeling light headed.

After a cursory look at how caffeine interacts with the body this could be caused by it's associated spike in blood pressure. Is there a potential problem here?

Don't get me wrong; this is almost certainly not a problem. I just feel as though I should check and this is less alarmist (and more reliable?) than checking on WebMD or something.

(If the problem passes I'd still like to know. It could be interesting.)

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2015, 02:07 PM
RE: Not feeling great.
Pretty sure you'll be fine. Put some weight like a thick book on your head Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
01-01-2015, 02:23 PM
Feeling fine.
Ignore me. I had a pear and the rock melon left over from Christmas breakfast. Feeling better now.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

[+] 2 users Like Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post
01-01-2015, 02:28 PM
Glad to hear it passed. I suggest never to try any Cuban coffee if you find yourself traveling though the Miami airport, your head may explode.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
01-01-2015, 02:32 PM
(01-01-2015 01:59 PM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  I finished a cup of coffee about twenty mins. ago, it had about three times the amount of beans in it than I'm used to and now my ears are ringing and I'm feeling light headed.

After a cursory look at how caffeine interacts with the body this could be caused by it's associated spike in blood pressure. Is there a potential problem here?

Don't get me wrong; this is almost certainly not a problem. I just feel as though I should check and this is less alarmist (and more reliable?) than checking on WebMD or something.

Being lightheaded is more associated with a "drop" in blood pressure., not rise. Most people are asymptomatic with high BP, but if they do have symptoms it tends to be headache and seeing little floaties.

So, "if" it were related to the caffeine (no way to tell since I'm not with you observing you on a monitor), it would be because of increased nonperfusing PVCs (preventricular contractions) or a heart rhythm change to SVT (supraventricular tachycardia) which cause the heart to beat too quickly to fill meaning decreasing stroke volume, thus decreasing cardiac output and your BP, making you light headed.

Could also be anxiety... Either way, it should pass. If you check your pulse and it's 200 beats per minute or like 30 beats per minute, might wanna go the ED. You should be fine, I'll drink eight cups of coffee on a shift sometimes just to stay awake and focused. Also, did you know caffeine can be given IV - I've administered a drip a few times. If I were ever to become a junkie and drugs like that could be purchased over the counter, caffeine would be my poison. Big Grin

All that being said, having tinnitus (ringing in your ear) can make you light headed, so an impending cold (fluid building up) or something along those lines is also another culprit. Drinking Beverage

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 4 users Like Nurse's post
01-01-2015, 02:35 PM
(01-01-2015 02:23 PM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  Ignore me. I had a pear and the rock melon left over from Christmas breakfast. Feeling better now.

I was going to suggest food. Also drink water.

Caffeine sometimes has a weird effect on me too.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

01-01-2015, 02:47 PM
For clarity, I only meant a decreased cardiac out put with SVT or frequent PVCs. Caffeine has been shown to increase heart rate and left ventricular output. Sure it may increase BP, but it's also a diuretic, so you'll pee a lot and that BP will normalize itself.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
01-01-2015, 03:10 PM
Caffeine fucks with me too. A little over a year ago I gave it up completely...my last vice for caffeine was tea. Now I just drink peppermint. It's not like a rule or anything (give up chocolate? Fuck that!), but I don't drink coffee, tea or <much> soda. Now if I end up having too much caffeine, I find drinking lots of water, and eating helps settle me down.

Nurse, you're awesome.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
01-01-2015, 05:05 PM
Still Feeling Fine
(01-01-2015 02:32 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(01-01-2015 01:59 PM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  I finished a cup of coffee about twenty mins. ago, it had about three times the amount of beans in it than I'm used to and now my ears are ringing and I'm feeling light headed.

Being lightheaded is more associated with a "drop" in blood pressure., not rise. Most people are asymptomatic with high BP, but if they do have symptoms it tends to be headache and seeing little floaties.

So, "if" it were related to the caffeine (no way to tell since I'm not with you observing you on a monitor), it would be because of increased nonperfusing PVCs (preventricular contractions) or a heart rhythm change to SVT (supraventricular tachycardia) which cause the heart to beat too quickly to fill meaning decreasing stroke volume, thus decreasing cardiac output and your BP, making you light headed.

Probably just low blood sugar or (extremely) mild hunger. I hadn't eaten for twelve-ish hours.

That should have occurred to me earlier.

Quote:Could also be anxiety... Either way, it should pass. If you check your pulse and it's 200 beats per minute or like 30 beats per minute, might wanna go the ED.

That's probably a good rule of thumb for any situation. 75->80 bpm. No problems.

Quote:You should be fine, I'll drink eight cups of coffee on a shift sometimes just to stay awake and focused. Also, did you know caffeine can be given IV - I've administered a drip a few times. If I were ever to become a junkie and drugs like that could be purchased over the counter, caffeine would be my poison. Big Grin

I knew that most beverages are administered rectally for best effect (as low density liquids are absorbed more readily through the large intestine than the stomach) but I didn't know it could be administered via IV.

Not surprised though.

Do you mean administered through a coffee drip or via a different solution?

Quote:All that being said, having tinnitus (ringing in your ear) can make you light headed, so an impending cold (fluid building up) or something along those lines is also another culprit. Drinking Beverage

I agree with Stark; you really are the best. Thank you.

02-01-2015, 02:03 AM
Yeh. I had a grammars issue in one of the sentences.. I type on my phone and my thoughts get ahead of my fingers.

IV drip. Most of the cases I've seen necessitating IV caffeine have been for post epidural headaches. Maybe one migraine?

So yeh, if IV drugs could be bought over the counter, I'd totally hook myself to a drip, hang it on a pole, and take care of patients with it. I'd fuckin rock my shifts Smile