Not just Catholic Priests

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2011, 09:02 AM
RE: Not just Catholic Priests
(12-12-2011 06:24 AM)morondog Wrote:  Nevertheless, there could be scars. Kids are sitting ducks in situations like this, their emotions are easily manipulated. He basically didn't have any choice in the matter and that's why pulling this sort of shit is illegal.

Maybe you wouldn't be traumatized, but you're you. Other people might react differently. What do you think his next relationship will be like? Will he maybe expect the girl his own age to have sex with him, maybe use some of the manipulation tricks that were used on him? It's easy to do once you know what buttons to push.

I think he's probably fine Tongue

I think the difference is that 99%+ of boys would bear no scars because there was no real coercion or manipulation.
A teenage boy's biggest 'button to push' is labelled SEX.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-12-2011, 09:19 AM
(12-12-2011 09:02 AM)Chas Wrote:  I think the difference is that 99%+ of boys would bear no scars because there was no real coercion or manipulation.

Hmmm... I guess it depends on your definition of bear no scars. It will definitely change his outlook on life Tongue Probably be a big confidence boost and all round be good for him. But the point remains, he's a kid, his ideas are unformed. Fooling around with other kids is one thing, but an adult has an unfair advantage. There was a sex thread a while back which raised the point that some people are more advanced than others so for some kids it won't be a problem, but the conclusion reached was that in the eyes of the law you have to make a blanket discrimination based on age because to do it on a case by case basis is too difficult legally. What I was trying to explore was why it is illegal when so many of us don't really think it's that bad as compared with the situation with a girl...
Find all posts by this user
12-12-2011, 09:27 AM
(12-12-2011 09:19 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(12-12-2011 09:02 AM)Chas Wrote:  I think the difference is that 99%+ of boys would bear no scars because there was no real coercion or manipulation.

Hmmm... I guess it depends on your definition of bear no scars. It will definitely change his outlook on life Tongue Probably be a big confidence boost and all round be good for him. But the point remains, he's a kid, his ideas are unformed. Fooling around with other kids is one thing, but an adult has an unfair advantage. There was a sex thread a while back which raised the point that some people are more advanced than others so for some kids it won't be a problem, but the conclusion reached was that in the eyes of the law you have to make a blanket discrimination based on age because to do it on a case by case basis is too difficult legally. What I was trying to explore was why it is illegal when so many of us don't really think it's that bad as compared with the situation with a girl...

No, you don't have to make a law that applies to both sexes identically; 'we' have simply chosen to, ignoring the differences between the sexes.

The legal age for marriage is, in some states, different for males and females.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
12-12-2011, 10:03 AM
(12-12-2011 09:27 AM)Chas Wrote:  No, you don't have to make a law that applies to both sexes identically; 'we' have simply chosen to, ignoring the differences between the sexes.

The legal age for marriage is, in some states, different for males and females.

My feeling is that in this particular case law != ass. Just my opinion though.
12-12-2011, 10:19 AM
Ok, so back to the problem implied in the OP's thread title.

What if...
There were a handsome priest making the moves on a gay 14 year old boy.

Now are we ok with high-fiving the kid?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
12-12-2011, 05:14 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2011 05:17 PM by mysticjbyrd.)
(12-12-2011 05:46 AM)Filox Wrote:  Yeah, poor boy, he must have horrible scars on his psyche, all his friends consider him to be GOD, all the girls in his school are jealous. I would be so traumatized. It is interesting that whenever this happens, no newspaper has ever interviewed the "victim". Why do you think that is? Maybe he would ruin their story? Smile

I never thought about that....interviewing the "victim" lol.
(12-12-2011 10:19 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Ok, so back to the problem implied in the OP's thread title.

What if...
There were a handsome priest making the moves on a gay 14 year old boy.

Now are we ok with high-fiving the kid?

Is the kid gay?
I am trying not to be biased here, but I think gay sex is gross....unless its two girls.
12-12-2011, 05:44 PM
(12-12-2011 05:14 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  Is the kid gay?
I am trying not to be biased here, but I think gay sex is gross....unless its two girls.

Yes, the hypothetical 14 year old male child is gay, and assume his sexual activity is just as consensual as the hetero boy with the female teacher.

And if this is you trying not to be biased, might I suggest you try a little harder? Big Grin

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
12-12-2011, 08:26 PM
As a former altar boy who worked with several priests I get offended when people make blanket statements about every priest being a pedophile.
There are plenty of teachers, sports coaches, camp counselors, and members of other professions who have been pedophiles, but nobody makes jokes implying that all members of their ranks are child molesters.

The priests I was an altar boy for were all nice guys. Not one of them so much as looked lustfully at me or any of the altar servers - male or female. It's unfair to accuse or imply such a crime for anyone, without evidence.
Regardless of the validity of their faith - can you imagine what it would be like to belong to a profession where the default assumption by the general public is that you are a pedophile? That would be awful!

That's not to say the church and it's clergy should not be held to account for the crimes that have been committed. Just don't assume every parish priest in a monster.

Apostate Chi Ro (XP)
My blog: http://apostatexp.blogspot.com/
Adventures in Apostasy. A former devout Catholic and amateur apologist turned atheist shares his thoughts.

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Apostate-...6000007565
12-12-2011, 08:36 PM
I appreciate that Apostate, and I hold that same opinion.

So, to make this a better analogy to the situation in the article:

What if a handsome gay male teacher had "consensual" sex with a 14 year old gay boy. (Not using consensual in the legal sense, just saying the boy wasn't forced and wanted it as much as the boy who banged his female teacher).

I'm suspecting there would be few high-fives given to the gay teen, am I right or wrong?

13-12-2011, 12:37 AM (This post was last modified: 13-12-2011 12:48 AM by morondog.)
(12-12-2011 08:36 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I'm suspecting there would be few high-fives given to the gay teen, am I right or wrong?

You're right. And what your example does is throw into high relief why this is a crime, at least to my mind. Kids don't even *know* if they're gay or straight at that age. It's an age of experimentation. An adult interfering with the self-discovery process is moulding that kid in a way that on his/her own he/she may not have chosen. Imposing their own already formed identity on someone who's pretty much helpless to resist. It's just not playing fair...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Australian Royal commission into Catholic crimes against children Banjo 9 143 02-04-2014 08:52 PM
Last Post: Banjo
  Good old Catholic Church Hughsie 3 571 20-02-2013 12:26 AM
Last Post: Momsurroundedbyboys
  Catholic hospital claims fetuses aren't people after being hit with law suit MrBean 2 362 26-01-2013 02:14 PM
Last Post: morondog
  German Catholic Church Hughsie 8 408 30-09-2012 01:53 AM
Last Post: Logica Humano
  Schoolchildren 'Licked Cream Off Catholic Priest's Legs' in Initiation Ceremony KVron 26 2,072 22-09-2012 04:39 PM
Last Post: elemts
  The Shame of the Catholic Church Scarlet Pimpernel 1 573 02-05-2012 10:15 PM
Last Post: TheDarkLordOfKnowledge
  Next Big Scandal for Catholic Church ??? watchman 13 1,558 25-10-2011 11:02 AM
Last Post: defacto7