Not just a former Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2013, 01:51 PM
Not just a former Atheist
Have you noticed that when you speak to a religious person who used to be an atheist, they were never just an atheist. They always say things like "oh I was a alcoholic atheist" or "oh I used to be an atheist drug addict!".

This annoys me

Nobody was ever just an atheist. There's always a negative attached to it, almost as if atheism is synonymous with poor behaviour.

Do you think this had helped shape the image that us atheists are bad people? Well, bad to mentally Ill people who believe in ghosts in the sky at least.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheStraightener's post
16-08-2013, 01:55 PM
RE: Not just a former Atheist
They have to make up a story about how jesus saved them,so bad->good=jesus

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
[+] 1 user Likes Lightvader's post
16-08-2013, 02:31 PM
I always doubt stories like that. They are either lying about being an atheist, or they were never one to begin with. This isn't a "no true Scotsman" argument either. Not going to church doesn't make you an atheist.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
16-08-2013, 02:48 PM
(16-08-2013 02:31 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I always doubt stories like that. They are either lying about being an atheist, or they were never one to begin with. This isn't a "no true Scotsman" argument either. Not going to church doesn't make you an atheist.

That, or they were "angry with God" or some such. Which is very much not atheism, since it's still buying into the same demented belief system. So they either don't realize how stupid and contradictory that is, or they ignore it for the sake of their preconceived narrative.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
16-08-2013, 02:54 PM
I'm reasonably sure that some people coulda been true atheists, then maybe had a head trauma or something, and realised the One Truth Tongue

Kidding aside... Christians have a cocktail of memes going on about the big bad world outside. One of them is this idea that a young person leaves the Church, then spends a few years being an evil scumbag, eventually wakes up one morning, looks in the mirror, sees the shitty life they've been having, and says the God-fearing equivalent of "fuck that" - possibly "the heck with that" Tongue

And then the story goes like this... they go find some random church, sincerely repent, and sooner or later their day in the Sun comes when they stand in front of the whole congregation and tell them of how they were saved by God from this evil life they were living...

It's a pretty powerful story and lots of people do live it out to some degree, from what I've observed... Live it out because being brought up in the Church that's the... kinda the way they think. As far as *they* can tell they're brilliant atheists, getting laid, getting drunk, doing drugs, all the fine shit that atheists get up to (as far as their pastor told them)... It's a good story for the church to promote too 'cos it reinforces all the bullshit they tell people about the big bad world outside...
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
16-08-2013, 03:23 PM
It has always been a mystery to me, how anyone could go back to being a believer after having been atheist.

I mean, how do you suddenly start believing shit you know isn't true?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
16-08-2013, 03:30 PM
(16-08-2013 03:23 PM)Dom Wrote:  It has always been a mystery to me, how anyone could go back to being a believer after having been atheist.

I mean, how do you suddenly start believing shit you know isn't true?

Probably because they were a blank slate, with no real knowledge of science, rationality, critical thinking, and so forth. They just did their thing day to day until they got snared by the first profound-seeming ideology that they happened to stumble into (in the case of Xianity, they were probably prepped via family, friend, or cultural influences beforehand).
16-08-2013, 04:33 PM
Yeah for these former 'atheists' I think We need to define their atheism

Atheism, to me at least, is when someone actively says there is no god and then goes on to explain why.

Atheism to the former atheist seems to be that they never really thought about anything or bothered to wonder and then accepted The first 'catch all' theory they heard.

Yeah I know this is not far off what Atheist Pilgrim just said. But I think he gave a fantastic explanation of it and I'm just voicing why I agree.
16-08-2013, 04:45 PM (This post was last modified: 16-08-2013 04:49 PM by GirlyMan.)
(16-08-2013 01:51 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  Have you noticed that when you speak to a religious person who used to be an atheist, they were never just an atheist. They always say things like "oh I was a alcoholic atheist" or "oh I used to be an atheist drug addict!".

This annoys me

I got no problem with it. If someone needs to invent a skydaddy and delusional metaphysics to keep them sober and off the road to perdition I got no issue with that. Our own admin KingsChosen has been quite upfront about this. We all do what we gotta do to keep our shit together and hold the center knowing full well that things fall apart, the center cannot hold. Hell, I pretend everyday when I awake that solipsism is not true. I must remain functional in a play I cannot rationally justify or ground 'cause what the fuck else I'm gonna do. KC's got his election, HoC's got his Gwynnies, and Girly ... well he's got his Girly.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
16-08-2013, 04:49 PM
(16-08-2013 04:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-08-2013 01:51 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  Have you noticed that when you speak to a religious person who used to be an atheist, they were never just an atheist. They always say things like "oh I was a alcoholic atheist" or "oh I used to be an atheist drug addict!".

This annoys me

I got no problem with it. If someone needs to invent a skydaddy and delusional metaphysics to keep them sober and off the road to perdition I got no issue with that. Our own admin KingsChosen has been quite upfront about this. We all do what we gotta do to keep our shit together and hold the center knowing full well that the center cannot hold. Hell, I pretend everyday when I awake that solipsism is not true. I must remain functional in a play I cannot rationally justify or ground 'cause what the fuck else I'm gonna do. KC's got his election, HoC's got his Gwynnies, and Girly ... well he's got his Girly.

Sure, the lesser of two evils is better than dissolution and destruction. But a lesser evil is still an evil. I hope for a day when people's addictions can be permanently cured by true scientific means instead of an existence where one must live "one day at a time" and rely on a "higher power" to keep it together.
[+] 1 user Likes Atheist_pilgrim's post