Not just a former Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2013, 05:01 PM
RE: Not just a former Atheist
(16-08-2013 04:49 PM)Atheist_pilgrim Wrote:  I hope for a day when people's addictions can be permanently cured by true scientific means instead of an existence where one must live "one day at a time" and rely on a "higher power" to keep it together.

That day is within sight methinks. Technology follows an exponential curve. Thumbsup

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-08-2013, 05:29 PM
I think many people confuse atheism with being apathetic about god. They never thought about much -- until they did -- and became believers. The default for them becomes 'former atheists.'

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-08-2013, 05:41 PM
(16-08-2013 04:49 PM)Atheist_pilgrim Wrote:  
(16-08-2013 04:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I got no problem with it. If someone needs to invent a skydaddy and delusional metaphysics to keep them sober and off the road to perdition I got no issue with that. Our own admin KingsChosen has been quite upfront about this. We all do what we gotta do to keep our shit together and hold the center knowing full well that the center cannot hold. Hell, I pretend everyday when I awake that solipsism is not true. I must remain functional in a play I cannot rationally justify or ground 'cause what the fuck else I'm gonna do. KC's got his election, HoC's got his Gwynnies, and Girly ... well he's got his Girly.

Sure, the lesser of two evils is better than dissolution and destruction. But a lesser evil is still an evil. I hope for a day when people's addictions can be permanently cured by true scientific means instead of an existence where one must live "one day at a time" and rely on a "higher power" to keep it together.

Well, 'one day at a time' works, and a working definition of 'higher power' is that it isn't oneself.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-08-2013, 05:51 PM
(16-08-2013 05:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  Well, 'one day at a time' works, ...

And Chas knows 'cause Chas does for a few decades now. Thumbsup

(16-08-2013 05:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  ... and a working definition of 'higher power' is that it isn't oneself.

And here we part ways. Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
16-08-2013, 08:03 PM
(16-08-2013 05:51 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-08-2013 05:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  Well, 'one day at a time' works, ...

And Chas knows 'cause Chas does for a few decades now. Thumbsup

(16-08-2013 05:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  ... and a working definition of 'higher power' is that it isn't oneself.

And here we part ways. Tongue

We don't, really. I'm in charge of my life, I'm what I've got. I'm just not in charge of anything else.

And other people have some good ideas.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-08-2013, 08:39 PM
When a "former" atheist comes out and says "I no longer look at life rationally. I no longer desire truth but instead prefer fantasy. I have given up on skepticism and have chosen to be gullible. Now that I have removed the ability in my mind to use reason & rational thought, I can for the first time see the hand of god in every rape, in every murder and in every preventable death throughout the planet. In the past, I would have called these things horrible, I now see them as god's GOOD will toward man."

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
16-08-2013, 11:03 PM
I've met a lot of ignorant atheists who aren't rational. Not shocking that people chose some things they chose. The difference is knowing the choice or just being deluded. Snake oil sounds so good sometimes.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
16-08-2013, 11:17 PM
(16-08-2013 04:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-08-2013 01:51 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  Have you noticed that when you speak to a religious person who used to be an atheist, they were never just an atheist. They always say things like "oh I was a alcoholic atheist" or "oh I used to be an atheist drug addict!".

This annoys me

I got no problem with it. If someone needs to invent a skydaddy and delusional metaphysics to keep them sober and off the road to perdition I got no issue with that. Our own admin KingsChosen has been quite upfront about this. We all do what we gotta do to keep our shit together and hold the center knowing full well that things fall apart, the center cannot hold. Hell, I pretend everyday when I awake that solipsism is not true. I must remain functional in a play I cannot rationally justify or ground 'cause what the fuck else I'm gonna do. KC's got his election, HoC's got his Gwynnies, and Girly ... well he's got his Girly.

Well, to be fair, I never said I was a "druggie atheist". Y'all only found that out after probing me like a Grey.

I've never attached a negative connotation with my former atheism... the only word I ever attached to it was "agnostic" because that's what I was.

My drug use had ZERO to do with my atheism. It had to do with my own selfishness, insecurities, and disdain for living. It just so happened I didn't believe in the Christian God at the time either.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
16-08-2013, 11:20 PM
(16-08-2013 03:23 PM)Dom Wrote:  It has always been a mystery to me, how anyone could go back to being a believer after having been atheist.

I mean, how do you suddenly start believing shit you know isn't true?

Why "back to"? All believers started as atheists.

I think it goes like this:

1. Going "on to" being a believer just requires indoctrination.

2. Then there are doubts as knowledge grows.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Chapter 8:
"Space," it says, "is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space, listen..."

3. Then there is the overwhelming feeling of insignificance.

4. Then there is your old comfort blanket gathering dust in the corner of your room, so inviting, so enticing and so ... comforting.

So ... Worship Slaves

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
16-08-2013, 11:25 PM
(16-08-2013 11:17 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  My drug use had has ZERO to do with my atheism.

But right in the first 50 odd pages of your Ask a Theist thread you said one of the claimed advantages of you being a Christian was that you'd cleaned up your act. So.. I see some cause and effect going on here... well... like I said there, I think you cleaned up your act on your own and blamed it on weirdo God, so maybe it does have ZERO to do with it Tongue