Not so great Solar roads

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2014, 12:25 AM
Not so great Solar roads
Does anyone else here remember the hype arround this vid about solar roads recently?

Well, Thundef00t has uploaded a vid yesterday, debunking it as garbage:

I wonder what they will be doing with the money they collected through donations.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2014, 12:21 PM
RE: Not so great Solar roads
Posted on Facebook, already got people trying to counterpoint.

“You see… sometimes life gives you lemons. And when that happens… you need to find some spell that makes lemons explode, because lemons are terrible. I only ate them once and I can say with certainty they are the worst fruit. If life gave me lemons, I would view it as nothing short of a declaration of war."
01-06-2014, 02:06 PM
Thanks for posting this, he's got some excellent points. Not much anyone can do to counter, tho, I like to hear what some people think about the benefits of this "roadway" idea.

It just strikes me as over complicated and useless. Glass was the first thing that set of an alarm when I watched the original video (and the wheelbarrow scene).

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
03-06-2014, 12:32 AM
It's not a completely crazy idea. I haven't watched thunderfoot's coverage but my main concerns would be cost (will each tile pay for itself before it is cracked), and the claim of energy transmission. I can see the latter working on a small scale but not up to high voltage transmission. It could be a viable option for local streets, at least in principle.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
03-06-2014, 03:34 AM
(01-06-2014 12:25 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Does anyone else here remember the hype arround this vid about solar roads recently?

I wonder what they will be doing with the money they collected through donations.

Not really going to take advice from someone who goes by a username that sounds like the name of an STD. He talks about traction which even current roadways fail to have at times especially during the winter, that's why most accidents that happen during the winter are caused by slipping and black ice. I don't think they are the best choice but they are real. If people would stop opposing idea's to make the world a cleaner place we wouldn't need these in the first place. That's just my opinion.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
03-06-2014, 03:58 AM
(01-06-2014 12:25 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Does anyone else here remember the hype arround this vid about solar roads recently?

I'm at work, so can't watch the vid just yet. But roadways?

Just what are the benefits of decentralizing solar production? Because it sure as shit won't come from a maintenance point of view.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]