Not sure how I feel right now...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2012, 08:22 PM
Question Not sure how I feel right now...
Walking away from my childhood beliefs, my eyes have been opened to a new, and more perfect respect for how beautiful and amazing life is. Knowing that our existence defies all odds of possible outcomes, I thing that the human race is lucky to be experiencing this thing called "life". But how does this realization leave me feeling towards the religious? Am I angry because the religious are pushy, close-minded, and blind? While I don't like that religion is everywhere, widely accepted before anything else, and constantly trying to gain more ground who is to blame? The followers? As offensive and seemingly daft as they may be, they are only sheep.

After all, their Bible that stands to prove the validity of itself states: "He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young." And so the religious leaders appeal to the most peaceful people to teach them that killing and persecution in the name of something called God is acceptable. They to all they can to catch their minds when they're young, and yes, they lead them gently. Teaching them about how much Jesus loves everyone and died for everyone so they can have eternal happiness. Not until later do they learn the true nature of their "God" that has the behavioral traits of a frustrated child that has been spoiled. Demanding blind acceptance and a free pass to live outside of it's own laws and morals.

And these people are robbed of the genuine mystery of life, by explaining that everything is planned and already worked out. How could you more effectively belittle the beautiful thing that life is? During all of the teachings, money is a high priority that goes against all of the "morals" that God supposedly preaches about, but nonetheless, your passage into Heaven requires blood and money. These teachings put man against man and humans against themselves as all natural urges, desires, and emotions are preached to be sinful and dirty in the eyes of God...who would have been the creator of these things in the first place. AND to top it all off, teaches followers that they are shameful and lower beings because of sin, which their God created, but relentlessly reminds the faithful of the punishment that awaits them if they "step off of the straight and narrow path". But remember, God made a loophole for the inescapable thing called sin that requires that generations should be punished for something that two people did as a result of the Devil being allowed to dwell in some Garden that belonged to God...why would he have been permitted there in the first place?

I am not angry at the faithful, I am sad and feel lost, because no matter what I say, it is twisted by their leaders to be dangerous devilry that aims to rob them of the true faith. How can you help someone see the truth when it is labeled as an "unforgivable sin"? The ones that I am angry at are the leaders that continuously push this poison into the minds of countless men, women, and children. Who rob them of the joy and wonder of being alive, and make their existence worth only the end destination.

I'm confused, because I feel angry, and sad, and even amazed at the methods that religion use to rob people of their humanity in the name of the God that they believe created them as they were.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like BKNexus's post
29-04-2012, 08:34 PM
RE: Not sure how I feel right now...
Been there, done that. My feelings on the matter of religion is that they all are a set guideline of human reaction with a big brother element slide in, with the promise of a reward, If you act accordingly. The trouble with an open ended belief system, those that are charged with so-called rightousness can redefine any value to fit their own presumption of Godliness.

Christianity is a Philosophy to me. I follow how you are supposed to live your life, as far as being good to others. i believe in doing the right thing to everybody, since that is the person I want to be. I don't believe in life after death unless you are talking about my nephew. He lies around his fathers house all day long and at night he reserects himself and goes out with his friends. lol.
29-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Your anger, sadness and the feeling of being 'lost' are understood and hopefully those feelings will, one day, be taken over by feelings of understanding and pity (and a smack in the gob for any who try and tell you any different Big Grin )

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
29-04-2012, 09:43 PM (This post was last modified: 29-04-2012 09:53 PM by socken.)
(29-04-2012 08:22 PM)BKNexus Wrote:  To me, the maddening thing about it is that their belief system does not allow for logic, common sense, reason, or questions. It relies on emotional appeal, and scrutiny is punishable. It's basically a no-win prospect from our side. It's sad that we have to have a forum like this to validate what should be the default position of average intelligent people.

(29-04-2012 09:43 PM)socken Wrote:  Sorry, BKNexus didn't write this. I just don't know how to reply correctly. ~socken
(29-04-2012 08:22 PM)BKNexus Wrote:  To me, the maddening thing about it is that their belief system does not allow for logic, common sense, reason, or questions. It relies on emotional appeal, and scrutiny is punishable. It's basically a no-win prospect from our side. It's sad that we have to have a forum like this to validate what should be the default position of average intelligent people.
30-04-2012, 11:44 AM
(29-04-2012 09:43 PM)socken Wrote:  Sorry, BKNexus didn't write this. I just don't know how to reply correctly. ~socken

n00b. Tongue

You might think with all the staff around this place, someone would help you out... Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
30-04-2012, 07:53 PM
I think I too went through what you are feeling when I finally freed my mind of religion and most especially the Mormon church. I used to think that I, me, my "temporal" or "carnal" self was just a shell of an inner eternal soul. A soul who once knew god as well as I could know anything and that this life was some kind of test. A test of taming the flesh so to speak. I used to tell my kids to think of it kind of like those mighty morphing power rangers that would get up inside the head of a giant robot in order to fight off the evil forces in the universe. It was an immaterial soul at the controls of a material body beholden to the forces of nature a.k.a. evil. It cheapened everything beautiful in this world and made everything viewed through a prism of unadulterated mysticism. The thing is... I never considered it mysticism, but that's exactly what it was!

It is in this way that religion poisons our very existence. I eventually rejected the doctrine of original sin and saw it for what it truly is- having eaten of the tree of knowledge, man became a thinking and rational being; thus the evils we are supposedly damned for are reasoning and thinking for ourselves. I finally got my wife to think along those lines after many instances of pointing out how 'mystical' we'd become with our thought processing. I used to say things like "Don't give god credit for the good in your life if you can't blame him for the bad. It's not fair and besides, that's mysticism!" Slowly over time she agreed that small amounts of mysticism were attached to almost everything she thought about and did or hoped for and regretted. All those tiny bits of mysticism added up to an accumulated heap that constantly clouded the mind and blurred reality.

Perhaps you can do like I did and simply encourage your loved ones to reject the fog of mysticism while knowing as they clear that fog- reality will be so much easier to perceive. Good luck Wink

Oh, p.s- have you seen any of philhellines or Evid3nc3 videos? That stuff really helped me out a bunch too.
Some of my faves are here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdRCPjXn1DY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6w2M50_Xdk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoiW4KO_Om4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlnnWbkMlbg
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Grassy Knoll's post