Not sure if I'm disgusted or turned on...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2012, 12:56 PM
RE: Not sure if I'm disgusted or turned on...
When I saw the thread title, I'm like, that's gotta be Eric. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
11-05-2012, 01:03 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/05/1...about-boy/

Opinion piece on the Time cover.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
11-05-2012, 03:53 PM
OT:
I don't see much of a problem with it in general, I have a bit of a problem with her throwing it on the cover of a magazine, though. It's not a squeamish thing, it's more like "Do you really need to pose? Why aren't you just sitting there with him and feeding him instead of making him look like a leech hanging from your titty by his teeth?" Then again, I typically imagine breast feeding mothers to actually be holding their kids or having their kids sitting in their lap since it seems more comfortable than the magazine's pose.

Slightly OT, but I just had to comment on the article germanyt shared:
Quote: In a way, while looking at the Time magazine cover, we are all Grumet’s
son and may know something of his possible plight: finding her a
compelling and dramatic presence, seduced by her combination of sex
appeal and motherhood—unable, in fact, to detach from her.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/05/1...z1ubE9zU7K
Is this....no, I must just need coffee. Tell me I just need coffee. Is he implying that the kid is going to have an Oedipus complex because he finds her having "sex appeal"?
My personal opinion is that Ablow (How fitting is that name *snicker*), like many of us, would happily take the boy's place at her breast, among doing other things that aren't things you do with a parent.

In all seriousness, though, is he REALLY implying the Oedipus complex? Because to me...that's how it sounds in that paragraph. How is a 3 year old going to even...comprehend sex appeal when there have been studies to show most children don't have much for a sexual/gender identity until they're like 7. Although, I can understand his concerns for the child psychologically as far as being slapped on the cover of Time breast feeding, but really, what kids are even going to know? He makes it seem like kindergarteners actually read stuff like that or comprehend it. Sorry, but I remember kindergarten, most of my classmates weren't that bright. The ones that were, never would have said anything about it because they had this thing called "being polite".

I doodle.
A lot.
My cheap commissions.
My humor can also be very perverse, so forgive me if I make sexy fart jokes. :'D
11-05-2012, 04:21 PM
(11-05-2012 03:53 PM)Chaos Requiem Wrote:  OT:
I don't see much of a problem with it in general, I have a bit of a problem with her throwing it on the cover of a magazine, though. It's not a squeamish thing, it's more like "Do you really need to pose? Why aren't you just sitting there with him and feeding him instead of making him look like a leech hanging from your titty by his teeth?" Then again, I typically imagine breast feeding mothers to actually be holding their kids or having their kids sitting in their lap since it seems more comfortable than the magazine's pose.

Quote: In a way, while looking at the Time magazine cover, we are all Grumet’s
son and may know something of his possible plight: finding her a
compelling and dramatic presence, seduced by her combination of sex
appeal and motherhood—unable, in fact, to detach from her.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/05/1...z1ubE9zU7K
Is this....no, I must just need coffee. Tell me I just need coffee. Is he implying that the kid is going to have an Oedipus complex because he finds her having "sex appeal"?
My personal opinion is that Ablow (How fitting is that name *snicker*), like many of us, would happily take the boy's place at her breast, among doing other things that aren't things you do with a parent.

In all seriousness, though, is he REALLY implying the Oedipus complex? Because to me...that's how it sounds in that paragraph. How is a 3 year old going to even...comprehend sex appeal when there have been studies to show most children don't have much for a sexual/gender identity until they're like 7. Although, I can understand his concerns for the child psychologically as far as being slapped on the cover of Time breast feeding, but really, what kids are even going to know? He makes it seem like kindergarteners actually read stuff like that or comprehend it. Sorry, but I remember kindergarten, most of my classmates weren't that bright. The ones that were, never would have said anything about it because they had this thing called "being polite".
Freud is probably better suited to answer this question.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
11-05-2012, 04:38 PM
(11-05-2012 04:21 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Freud is probably better suited to answer this question.
Why? Because he developed psychological theories including the claims of the Oedipal complex? Consider

There have been numerous psychologists since Freud to dispute or even oppose many of the claims he made, including the Oedipus complex theories.

At the time he made most of his claims, he was developing a science. Science changes as perspective changes.

No fair using the dead guy to run interference for one's own creepy feelings ... Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
11-05-2012, 04:39 PM
I suppose in a underdeveloped country, longer breast-feeding time makes sense. In fact it makes perfect sense.

In countries where this isn't an issue the idea of breast-feeding a child after they clearly have the teeth required to eat food and the verbal skills to be able to ask for the breast...might be time to start weaning. Seems to me this is something done out of the woman's need of some sort more than the child's.

From my experience anyway, my kids were craving independence. They wanted to feed themselves well before two.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
11-05-2012, 04:51 PM
(11-05-2012 04:21 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(11-05-2012 03:53 PM)Chaos Requiem Wrote:  OT:

Freud is probably better suited to answer this question.
But I can't see dead people. Tongue Makes it kinda hard, so I ask the living instead.

I doodle.
A lot.
My cheap commissions.
My humor can also be very perverse, so forgive me if I make sexy fart jokes. :'D
11-05-2012, 05:25 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2012 05:32 PM by FSM_scot.)
Germany why are you against breast feeding in public? I've never understood why some people are against it. What's wrong with a Mother feeding her baby the way we evolved to?. Are you against it in general or only when people are around?

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
11-05-2012, 07:30 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2012 07:35 PM by DLJ.)
(11-05-2012 01:03 PM)germanyt Wrote:  http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/05/1...about-boy/

Opinion piece on the Time cover.
That's actually not a bad piece of writing. It draws out a viewpoint which is fairly obvious but it's well articulated.
I have no problem with journos (or anyone) making observations and even making judgements but I do wish they would stop short of condemnation based on those judgements.
My first thought was for the kid. I would guess that he was asked if he wanted to do it but I doubt the potential playground consequences would be understood at 3 years old.
If he has inherited the narcism-DNA from his mother, though, he will lap it up (the playground attention, I mean)

Also, Germany, I have the same question as FSM... what's wrong with public breast-feeding?
I can't think of anything more natural.
Surely you cannot be objecting to hot chicks whopping 'em out in public?

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
11-05-2012, 11:59 PM
I agree that it may be a good thing if food is scarce but in western society it's not required.

I smell an 'ego, attention-seeking' rat!

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)