Not sure if I'm disgusted or turned on...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2012, 03:43 AM

RE: Not sure if I'm disgusted or turned on...
I guess I'm old. I mean, I'm not saying the kid should be plowing a field at that age, but damn, I was in the military at 17, and I just can't get passed my prejudices here. I mean, I see this kid at 17 on 4 different psych drugs, still suckling mom while playing a worthless video game on a computer listening to metal music with a joint burning in the ashtray after failing out of special ed.

But that's me.

As for the four other women in the room (all nurses) who saw the same Time cover, they all said it was absolutely disgusting. I'll defer to their opinion.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Egor's post
12-05-2012, 05:27 AM
"Breastfeeding is an unequalled way of providing ideal food for the healthy growth and development of infants; it is also an integral part of the reproductive process with important implications for the health of mothers. Review of evidence has shown that, on a population basis, exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months is the optimal way of feeding infants. Thereafter infants should receive complementary foods with continued breastfeeding up to 2 years of age or beyond."
Says the WHO

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2012, 02:02 PM
There was a documentary a few years back where a couple of girls, I think 7 and 11 at the time, were still breast feeding, and it had turned into a bizarre obsession. It was the only thing they every talked about, the feature of all of their artwork and the theme for all of there toys and games.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
13-05-2012, 12:49 AM
Older children breastfeeding- I don't have a problem with it and there are benefits to it, immunity and allergy prevention being top benefits. But like others, at some point enough is enough for me personally. Does that mean I think all should feel that way, though? I don't know what I think is an *exact* age, and I don't think a parent or child should be called out on it necessarily, because there is no evidence for negative physical or emotional impact that's conclusive now, if anything there is a lot of positive evidence for it and it's recommended to go as long as possible- despite icky social 'yuk' feelings towards it. That's a social reaction, not a health one. Personally, I cut my kids off at 9 months for one and 16 months for the other, both for different reasons. I got a lot of comments when my 16 month old was still feeding that really bugged me because I just didn't feel it was anyone else's damn business. My child was getting healthy fats from the milk for brain development still and immunity boosts. There are over 200 ingredients in breast milk and it's loaded with vitamins. Makes more sense than cows milk to me, that shit should be bottled! In fact I think they make ice-cream in Ontario out of it, or did (then aids became a concern or something). K, I wouldn't go that far, but yeah. Bottom line, to each there own and if it's not harmful, why judge.

Public Breastfeeding- I am SO for it. Not fair at all to make a mom and baby cover up, it should be a personal choice. Trying to get a newborn or fussy baby to latch under a blanket on a hot sticky day is no picnic! I don't *like* to bare all, but I have because a couple times it was just so frustrating not to. I say you go try eating under a blanket on a hot day, lol. Also, one time I was feeding, covered, in a food court at a mall and this man told me to go to the washroom to do that. I told him if he didn't like my baby eating in the eating area, he should go to the washroom to eat instead, since he thought it was an alright place to eat. Screw that! Funny, because at that same mall it was renovated by the time I had my second child and now they have family rooms where you can change diapers and feed babies. I didn't feed uncovered because it was a small space and a lot of Dads were sent to change diapers in there- it was a little too private and small for me to feel comfortable there either.
Also, I saw this FB group (it was only up briefly) where they took banned photos of breastfeeding and photos of Kim Kardashian from various FB groups that were not banned, then placed them side by side. In all the photos KK had more boob showing, lol.
[+] 4 users Like LadyJane's post
13-05-2012, 03:45 AM (This post was last modified: 13-05-2012 05:23 PM by Hafnof.)
My official position:
* Breastfeeding in public should not just be allowed, not encouraged, but should be the norm. You can send a baby to the toilet to eat when you are prepared to eat your hamburger there. Until then heshe will eat at the table or anywhere that's comfortable, just like anyone else.
* Assuming mother and child are reasonably sane, let them feed together for as long as they want. I would consider the WHO recommendations of 6 months exclusive and 2 years nonexclusive to be particularly normal and appropriate.

I would tend to start to ask questions if things are not tailing off well before the child gets to school age, but there are countries where adults and children alike enjoy breast milk. If there's nothing wrong psychologically then we don't have to make an issue out of it. That said, I have heard accounts from men who say they remember eating a cookie and then going to Mum for the milk... and not quite being sure how they feel about that.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
13-05-2012, 07:28 AM (This post was last modified: 13-05-2012 07:30 AM by Diablo.)
(11-05-2012 05:25 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Germany why are you against breast feeding in public? I've never understood why some people are against it. What's wrong with a Mother feeding her baby the way we evolved to?. Are you against it in general or only when people are around?
Yah that doesn't make much sense does it. He would rather see two burly guys fondle one another, than big old boobies.

(12-05-2012 03:43 AM)Egor Wrote:  I guess I'm old. I mean, I'm not saying the kid should be plowing a field at that age, but damn, I was in the military at 17, and I just can't get passed my prejudices here. I mean, I see this kid at 17 on 4 different psych drugs, still suckling mom while playing a worthless video game on a computer listening to metal music with a joint burning in the ashtray after failing out of special ed.

But that's me.

As for the four other women in the room (all nurses) who saw the same Time cover, they all said it was absolutely disgusting. I'll defer to their opinion.
That might be the worst psychoanalysis of all time.
15-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Yeah, sure it's strange. First I thought of the kid, what his classmates will say if they ever find out. Children usually want to grow up and be independent and this doesn't look like independence to me. It looks to me like a pretense for lots of later bullying. I'd bet someone's gonna dig up this issue of Time when the boy grows up. (now I see the magazine says the same thing)

I agree it is probably due to the woman's unhealthy psychological neediness, not the kid's. I suspect it's rather a single mother thing, I can't imagine a husband who'd want to share the wife's.... attention longer than necessary. I'd definitely not allow that, the WHO limit seems adequate to me.

As for public breastfeeding, that's nobody's business, live and let live. There is nothing to complain about, there are worse things. One of my classmates got married last year and her baby boy REALLY dislikes the law lectures. He screams or she must change his diapers or exercise his legs so he farts it all out. In any case, I'm glad I'm not the mother.
15-05-2012, 03:19 PM
(11-05-2012 05:25 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Germany why are you against breast feeding in public? I've never understood why some people are against it. What's wrong with a Mother feeding her baby the way we evolved to?. Are you against it in general or only when people are around?
I would just prefer if women would try and avoid having to do it. And always cover with a blanket when you do. Hot or not a women pulling her tit out in the waiting room at the dentist makes for a very uncomfortable situation.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
15-05-2012, 03:40 PM
(15-05-2012 03:19 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
I would just prefer if women would try and avoid having to do it. And always cover with a blanket when you do. Hot or not a women pulling her tit out in the waiting room at the dentist makes for a very uncomfortable situation.
Urm.... you are saying that "a women pulling her tit out in the waiting room at the dentist" is uncomfortable in comparison to what? The thought of the impending experience of being in the dentist's chair having your teeth ripped out?

15-05-2012, 04:01 PM
(15-05-2012 03:40 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(15-05-2012 03:19 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I would just prefer if women would try and avoid having to do it. And always cover with a blanket when you do. Hot or not a women pulling her tit out in the waiting room at the dentist makes for a very uncomfortable situation.
Urm.... you are saying that "a women pulling her tit out in the waiting room at the dentist" is uncomfortable in comparison to what? The thought of the impending experience of being in the dentist's chair having your teeth ripped out?
lol I love going to the dentist. But it was just a random example.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain