"Nothing But a Flicker"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2013, 04:54 PM
RE: "Nothing But a Flicker"
(07-02-2013 04:52 PM)DLJ Wrote:  So if 'life' is the 'flicker' what is your metaphor for 'afterlife'?

(06-02-2013 11:05 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Why use the energy to imagine an eternal flame?

Smartass

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2013, 04:54 PM
(07-02-2013 04:52 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(07-02-2013 12:46 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Thanks, lol

But of course, I lied. I did read.

I should point out that the marker of your paper may quibble about the title vs. the subtitle in that they are not connected:

Using pleasing alliteration you point out "If I were describe life, it would be that it is nothing but a brief flicker of a flame."

So if 'life' is the 'flicker' what is your metaphor for 'afterlife'?

Just sayin'

The Title is just a sneak way of saying I value life more than the afterlife.

She can mark it if she wants, it's just a hidden thing basically saying "Fuck your afterlife."

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
07-02-2013, 05:20 PM
Cool story bro, needs more dinosaur

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
07-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Excellent job, Ato. I agree with what's been said and that an afterlife is good for business. The point about family members and friends who have passed on before you is one I hear a lot. My theist BF said that it's hard to believe that (a) you'll never see your loved ones again (um, after you're dead I'm guessing you won't sense anything, in keeping with the whole dead thing) and (b) some people have it so crappy in this life that there must be some reward (must there?) Even if it were true, would we even be separate selves and not absorbed into spirit-ness or whatever and therefore the lost loved ones argument goes away. Seems like more wishful thinking to me.

Godless in the Magnolia State
07-02-2013, 07:52 PM
(07-02-2013 04:54 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(07-02-2013 04:52 PM)DLJ Wrote:  So if 'life' is the 'flicker' what is your metaphor for 'afterlife'?

(06-02-2013 11:05 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Why use the energy to imagine an eternal flame?

Smartass

Exactly!

A better title, therefore: Eternal Flame.

N'est pas?

08-02-2013, 11:34 AM
Wow, my religion teacher just graded the paper.... Guess who got a C......

It was me.
Sad

08-02-2013, 11:42 AM
(08-02-2013 11:34 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Wow, my religion teacher just graded the paper.... Guess who got a C......

It was me.
Sad

Tell your teacher to go fuck him/herself.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-02-2013, 11:05 PM
(08-02-2013 11:34 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Wow, my religion teacher just graded the paper.... Guess who got a C......

It was me.
Sad

well, that's bullshit.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
10-02-2013, 04:17 PM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2013 04:21 PM by Mark Fulton.)

It was me.
Sad
You're studying "religion?"

Is that Christianity only, or other religions too?

How dare she only give you a "C!"

Did she say why?

I suggest you add something like this to it, and ask for a reassessment..

"Heaven" has always been about power. Throughout history, the concept kept common people bowing to priests and kings, slaves in shackles, women submissive to men, wayward adolescents obeying their parents, and pupils believing the same things as their teachers. Things are much the same today, as Christians in governments, armies, churches, schools, and families are still using God to control others. Consider Sunday school, sermons from the pulpit, the confessional box, “gay rehabilitation” centers, the pressure put on people to pay their tithes every Sunday, and the indoctrination in religion classes.The concept requires no real resources to get results, as it can be advertised using nothing more than confidence and an active imagination.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
10-02-2013, 05:17 PM
(10-02-2013 04:17 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  

It was me.
Sad
You're studying "religion?"

Is that Christianity only, or other religions too?

How dare she only give you a "C!"

Did she say why?

I suggest you add something like this to it, and ask for a reassessment..

"Heaven" has always been about power. Throughout history, the concept kept common people bowing to priests and kings, slaves in shackles, women submissive to men, wayward adolescents obeying their parents, and pupils believing the same things as their teachers. Things are much the same today, as Christians in governments, armies, churches, schools, and families are still using God to control others. Consider Sunday school, sermons from the pulpit, the confessional box, “gay rehabilitation” centers, the pressure put on people to pay their tithes every Sunday, and the indoctrination in religion classes.The concept requires no real resources to get results, as it can be advertised using nothing more than confidence and an active imagination.
We are only touching the Abrahamic religions, but it mainly focuses on Christiainity. Ahh fuck it, I already have an almost perfect score in the class, a C ain't going to do much.

I think she hated the way I presented my case, it was kind of belittling Christianity.