Nothing, doesn't exist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2017, 10:36 PM
RE: Nothing, doesn't exist
(22-08-2017 10:34 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(22-08-2017 09:17 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  So you think sparkly pink unicorns exist.
Facepalm

Conceptually, yes.

Tongue

My niece has one. Got it at a toy shop.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
22-08-2017, 11:10 PM
(06-03-2014 10:08 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  The question is, "what is nothing"?..

We could also ask "what is reality?", and whether it plays any part in how we perceive "nothingness"..Smile
"The (quantum) atoms or elementary particles themselves are not real; they form a world of potentialities or possibilities rather than one of things or facts"- Prof. Werner Heisenberg (Nobel Prize winner in Physics)
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.'' - Albert Einstein
"Strawberry Fields, nothing is real" (The Beatles)
"We are such stuff as dreams are made on, and our little life is rounded with a sleep.." (The Tempest)
"You can be in my dream if I can be in your dream" (Bob Dylan)
"All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream"- Edgar Allen Poe
"There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition"- Rod Serling, TZ
"Have you ever had a dream that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world?" (Morpheus in The Matrix)
[+] 3 users Like Propwash's post
22-08-2017, 11:37 PM
I think nothing does exist, I just think it's outside our senses/perceptions.
23-08-2017, 03:36 AM
(22-08-2017 11:37 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  I think nothing does exist, I just think it's outside our senses/perceptions.

This is something (not nothing) I meet frequently here (Malaysia, where superstition has soaked into various traditions).

A conversation with a really kindly guy (an exec, nice suit etc.) ... he got rather animated when I was trying to explain that his Allah and his quranic angels and djinns only existed as concepts.

We got into the "unknown unknowns" argument.

He was saying there is realm for these unknown unknowns and that's where the djinns and angels live.

What he was doing, as you just did, was to start labeling the stuff about which we know nothing, indeed may never know anything, as somethings.

In other words, he was moving these ineffable, intangible things (these, now labeled, not-things) from the 'unknown unknowns' category, by slight of mind, into the category of 'unknown knowns' which, to use Slavoj Žižek's definition, are "that which we intentionally refuse to acknowledge that we know".

Whence follows the accusation that the sceptic is closed-minded.

No

In a different context:
[Image: 041570745c11d27cb727dad90456635d--risk-a...gement.jpg]

[+] 9 users Like DLJ's post
23-08-2017, 05:08 AM
(23-08-2017 03:36 AM)DLJ Wrote:  he was moving these ineffable, intangible things (these, now labeled, not-things) from the 'unknown unknowns' category, by slight of mind, into the category of 'unknown knowns' which, to use Slavoj Žižek's definition, are "that which we intentionally refuse to acknowledge that we know".

Slight of mind, that's a nice summation of it all, isn't it?

After learning about category errors in thinking, I just roll my eyes and don't give two second's thought when someone proposes these things. Yeah, I would be close-minded from that perspective.

Magical Leprechauns/god created X!

Wouldn't they have to exist to create something? Drinking Beverage

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
23-08-2017, 05:20 AM
(23-08-2017 05:08 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  ...

Thanks. I'm rather pleased with that one (in an unshamefully, self-gratifying kinda way).

Toyed with using the other spelling and decided not to google it to see how many hundreds of people had beaten me to it... that would only disappoint.

Blush

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
23-08-2017, 05:38 AM
(23-08-2017 05:08 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(23-08-2017 03:36 AM)DLJ Wrote:  he was moving these ineffable, intangible things (these, now labeled, not-things) from the 'unknown unknowns' category, by slight of mind, into the category of 'unknown knowns' which, to use Slavoj Žižek's definition, are "that which we intentionally refuse to acknowledge that we know".

In the immortal words of Riffraff...

With a bit of a mind flip
You're into the time slip
And nothing can ever be the same

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
23-08-2017, 06:18 AM
Nothing is what is, til something better comes along....

Then it's something.

Or not.

Tongue

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
23-08-2017, 07:15 AM
(22-08-2017 09:46 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Q: What is nothing?

A: The amount in my bank account.

Smile

A. The sum total of logical thought in an apologist's argument?
[+] 1 user Likes kemo boy's post
23-08-2017, 08:46 AM
(22-08-2017 11:37 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  I think nothing does exist, I just think it's outside our senses/perceptions.

It's only possible that nothing did exist. And "exist" is misleading because once anything exists, it can no longer be nothing.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.