Nothing good will come of this. Mach my words, fingers will be blown off.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2016, 12:12 AM
Nothing good will come of this. Mach my words, fingers will be blown off.
So I wanna build a rocket.

I'm fascinated with speed and high performance. It's one of the main reasons I wanna be rich. A big life goal of mine is to beat the land speed record. I don't wanna just fund it I wanna be the guy driving. Obviously, I'm not in a position to build anything even remotely close to being competitive at beating the land speed record. yet So I've often thought about doing smaller projects like gravity carts, Red Bull have a big event up in Auckland every 2nd year, or build a street luge or RC cars or something like that. And it finally clicked. Rockets. Cheap(ish). Minimal tools. Lots of room for design improvement. Don't need other people (this is a biggy). And it combines four passions into one, technical vehicles, science, blowing shit the fuck up (or hopefully not in this case) and speed.

So, I was wondering. Has anyone built model rockets before and do you have any advice for someone who's only experience with rockets is small things I built in the kitchen as a kid using baking soda and vinegar to build pressure in small containers before the top pops off sending the container flying and creating a huge mess everywhere much to his mothers unamusement.

I have done a bit of research already, I got a fair idea of what I wanna build.
I know I could buy one but there's no fun in that, I wanna launch something I built with my hands not brought at the store. Besides, when you build it yourself you learn how it works and learn what you can do to improve it and make it go higher and faster.

edit: Also, why does nobody ever build model rockets with detachable booster engines?

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
15-10-2016, 12:45 AM
RE: Nothing good will come of this. Mach my words, fingers will be blown off.
(15-10-2016 12:12 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  ...
Don't need other people (this is a biggy).

Burning out your fuse up there alone?

(15-10-2016 12:12 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  ...
And it combines four passions into one, technical vehicles, science, blowing shit the fuck up (or hopefully not in this case) and speed.

And all this science you don't understand

No

And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...

15-10-2016, 01:08 AM
(15-10-2016 12:12 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  edit: Also, why does nobody ever build model rockets with detachable booster engines?

Because that's technically complicated. Model rocket sets use replaceable rockets. So all of the fuel and the ignition mechanism are self contained; there is nothing smart about them. A multi-stage booster would require a programmable flight computer, and a way to monitor fuel levels, and to jettison the extra mass without destabilizing (so it would also need controllable flight surfaces, and the computer would have to handle those too). That's is far beyond the league of anything you could or would ever just purchase off the shelf. That's about as borderline amateur as you can be, without crossing the line into professional territory. Even then, you're probably still looking at getting a license and FAA allowance to fly such a thing.

That's Armadillo Aerospace, a startup founded by John Carmack, the former lead programmer and engine guru of id Software (the guys who created DOOM and Quake, and Carmack worked there since before Wolfenstein 3D).

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
15-10-2016, 01:28 AM
(15-10-2016 12:12 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  So I wanna build a rocket.

I'm fascinated with speed and high performance. It's one of the main reasons I wanna be rich.

In the meantime here's Kerbal Space Program
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
15-10-2016, 01:36 AM
Quote:Burning out your fuse up there alone?

The issue I have with other people is that they don't do things the way I want them to do it.
People have opinions and shit. I like things done my way and people tend to take issue with that. Besides, my friends are idiots.

Quote:And all this science you don't understand

So we should never pursue anything we don't 100% understand?

Quote:Because that's technically complicated. Model rocket sets use replaceable rockets. So all of the fuel and the ignition mechanism are self-contained; there is nothing smart about them. A multi-stage booster would require a programmable flight computer, and a way to monitor fuel levels, and to jettison the extra mass without destabilising (so it would also need controllable flight surfaces, and the computer would have to handle those too).

Would it though? Couldn't you set up some sort of timed event? Like so you have your booster, which is just a big rocket engine, and at the top after the solid fuel you have a slow burning fuel (so like a 2second delay or something) that when it burns through it ignites a fast burning fuse that burns away some sort of decoupler and ignites the rocket's main engine and than the delay keeps burning a few seconds later deploys the parachute.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just trying to understand.

Why would it destabilise flight? If the two (or three) objects separate wouldn't the momentum keep the rocket moving upwards till the main rocket engine kicked in?

15-10-2016, 01:37 AM
(15-10-2016 01:28 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(15-10-2016 12:12 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  So I wanna build a rocket.

I'm fascinated with speed and high performance. It's one of the main reasons I wanna be rich.

In the meantime here's Kerbal Space Program

Yes I've been playing it, that's what inspired me to look at model rockets.

15-10-2016, 01:43 AM (This post was last modified: 15-10-2016 02:54 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(15-10-2016 01:36 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:Because that's technically complicated. Model rocket sets use replaceable rockets. So all of the fuel and the ignition mechanism are self-contained; there is nothing smart about them. A multi-stage booster would require a programmable flight computer, and a way to monitor fuel levels, and to jettison the extra mass without destabilising (so it would also need controllable flight surfaces, and the computer would have to handle those too).

Would it though? Couldn't you set up some sort of timed event? Like so you have your booster, which is just a big rocket engine, and at the top after the solid fuel you have a slow burning fuel (so like a 2second delay or something) that when it burns through it ignites a fast burning fuse that burns away some sort of decoupler and ignites the rocket's main engine and than the delay keeps burning a few seconds later deploys the parachute.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just trying to understand.

Why would it destabilise flight? If the two (or three) objects separate wouldn't the momentum keep the rocket moving upwards till the main rocket engine kicked in?

Any shift in mass is going to affect the flight dynamics, and will require compensation. Imagine riding your motorcycle on the highway at speed with someone on the back, and they suddenly jumped off, and you were unable to move, turn, lean, or otherwise correct for the movement imparted by their mass leaving? You'd rather quickly lose control of the bike and crash, ditto a rocket without flight avionics. So that means you are looking at a minimum advanced avionics, such as a flight computer, adjustable and controllable flight surfaces, gyroscopes, radio communication, other miscellaneous sensors, plus the engineering and programming skills to bring it all together.

I mean, you could set up a timer with a dumb-fire rocket, but it would be utterly superfluous. Only rockets carrying up massive payloads into orbit, which already have such advanced controls, are that worried about shaving weight because of the enormous amount of fuel already required to reach escape velocity. The point is to save fuel by shedding weight, a consideration not at all applicable at the amateur level.

http://web.mit.edu/16.unified/www/FALL/t...de103.html

[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
15-10-2016, 02:19 AM
(15-10-2016 01:36 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  People have opinions and shit. I like things done my way and people tend to take issue with that. Besides, my friends are idiots.

Did you ever stop to think that these might be two of the reasons you—apparently—don't get on very well with people?

Quote:So we should never pursue anything we don't 100% understand?

Correct. You admit that your "only experience [is] with rockets is small things I built in the kitchen as a kid using baking soda and vinegar". And yet you're now talking about breaking the land speed record—LOL—and building and launching your own rocket? Dream on my friend.

Dodgy

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
15-10-2016, 03:01 AM
At work.

Hey Muffs. Smile

Check out "Atomic Rockets". The links from there might help out.

There's also "Scott's homage to the Motorjet" as some more bygone, forgotten tech.

Don't forget, the Myth Buster blokes did some pretty crazy things with salamy and Nitro. Thumbsup

Much cheers.
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
15-10-2016, 03:08 AM
(15-10-2016 03:01 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Don't forget, the Myth Buster blokes did some pretty crazy things with salamy and Nitro. Thumbsup

Much cheers.

They also slapped 3 JATO lift rockets on a car, because fuck it, why not?

[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post