Nothing good will come of this. Mach my words, fingers will be blown off.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2016, 03:45 AM
RE: Nothing good will come of this. Mach my words, fingers will be blown off.
(15-10-2016 01:37 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(15-10-2016 01:28 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  In the meantime here's Kerbal Space Program

Yes I've been playing it, that's what inspired me to look at model rockets.

Earmuffs, is this a land or "air" vehicle you are thinking of?

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-10-2016, 04:59 AM
Google "Estes Rockets" --- it's a good place to start...

And dude -- trust me on this -- do NOT try formulating and building your own rocket engines......

1. Commercial ones are relatively cheap - and quite dependable.
2. A rocket engine is a controlled explosion -- and as you've noted -- bad shit happens......

I've successfully launched stuff that went over 2000 feet.. You can even buy inexpensive (and somewhat accurate) recording altimeters for bragging rights........

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
15-10-2016, 05:12 AM
Quote:Correct. You admit that your "only experience [is] with rockets is small things I built in the kitchen as a kid using baking soda and vinegar". And yet you're now talking about breaking the land speed record—LOL—and building and launching your own rocket? Dream on my friend.

You need to reread my post.

"Obviously, I'm not in a position to build anything even remotely close to being competitive at beating the land speed record. yet So I've often thought about doing smaller projects like gravity carts, Red Bull have a big event up in Auckland every 2nd year, or build a street luge or RC cars or something like that."

I'm fully aware I don't have a spare 10 million dollars and large team of experts to go after the land speed record. I'm saying, one day when I'm filthy rich I will have 10 million dollars lying around and I can hire a team of experts. But in the mean time I'm content building a model rocket.

You underestimate my capability son. I've been pulling apart and putting back together things my whole life, this is fully within my capability. I will build and launch my own (model) rocket.

Quote:At work.

Hey Muffs. Smile

Check out "Atomic Rockets". The links from there might help out.

There's also "Scott's homage to the Motorjet" as some more bygone, forgotten tech.

Don't forget, the Myth Buster blokes did some pretty crazy things with salamy and Nitro. Thumbsup

Much cheers.

Thumbsup

Quote:Earmuffs, is this a land or "air" vehicle you are thinking of?

Air. Or space (I can dream).

Quote:Google "Estes Rockets" --- it's a good place to start...

And dude -- trust me on this -- do NOT try formulating and building your own rocket engines......

2. A rocket engine is a controlled explosion -- and as you've noted -- bad shit happens......

I've successfully launched stuff that went over 2000 feet.. You can even buy inexpensive (and somewhat accurate) recording altimeters for bragging rights........

Yabut like, it's not "my" rocket. I didn't build it, I would have just brought it.
There's nothing wrong with that but that's not what I wanna do.

[Image: oscar.png]
15-10-2016, 05:17 AM
At work.

For cold thrust also investigate peroxide rockets. Like the back-pack things fellows wear at shows (And appearedvin possibly a Bond film?).

Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
15-10-2016, 05:41 AM
Er, earmuffs, do you want flowers or donations to charity?

[+] 8 users Like Gloucester's post
15-10-2016, 06:36 AM
Welp. Nice knowing ya, bud. Laugh out load

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
15-10-2016, 06:45 AM
'fingers will be blown off' Big Grin

Dad was a dynamite man, a powder monkey in the postwar vernacular. He never played with us kids with blasting caps or the like, but his inner child needed to play.
What to do? Make your own black powder of course! This despite the fact that making black powder was one of the most dangerous things you could engage in.
Ok, all fingers and windows intact, what to do with it?
Home made cannon and rocket attempts. Attempts is the key here. He mixed the powder with fine sawdust, inert materials you name it. Either it fizzled like a wet firecracker or it blew up with great vigor. No motor-like middle ground. The most memorable was a middlish sized motor, maybe 1" x 5". He thought he had it, and needed a good platform. He spots this large terra cotta pot that mom had purchased for some outdoor patio plant, and turned it upside down and set up his creation in the bottom hole. He lit the homemade fuse and we hid around the corner of the house.
WABAM! The terra cotta pot was laying flat to the ground, and nothing of the "rocket" was to be seen. He tells my brother and I to pick up all the pieces and he dashes off to the hardware store to get a replacement pot. Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like skyking's post
15-10-2016, 07:24 AM
(15-10-2016 05:12 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:Correct. You admit that your "only experience [is] with rockets is small things I built in the kitchen as a kid using baking soda and vinegar". And yet you're now talking about breaking the land speed record—LOL—and building and launching your own rocket? Dream on my friend.

You need to reread my post.

"Obviously, I'm not in a position to build anything even remotely close to being competitive at beating the land speed record. yet So I've often thought about doing smaller projects like gravity carts, Red Bull have a big event up in Auckland every 2nd year, or build a street luge or RC cars or something like that."

I'm fully aware I don't have a spare 10 million dollars and large team of experts to go after the land speed record. I'm saying, one day when I'm filthy rich I will have 10 million dollars lying around and I can hire a team of experts. But in the mean time I'm content building a model rocket.

You underestimate my capability son. I've been pulling apart and putting back together things my whole life, this is fully within my capability. I will build and launch my own (model) rocket.

Quote:At work.

Hey Muffs. Smile

Check out "Atomic Rockets". The links from there might help out.

There's also "Scott's homage to the Motorjet" as some more bygone, forgotten tech.

Don't forget, the Myth Buster blokes did some pretty crazy things with salamy and Nitro. Thumbsup

Much cheers.

Thumbsup

Quote:Earmuffs, is this a land or "air" vehicle you are thinking of?

Air. Or space (I can dream).

Quote:Google "Estes Rockets" --- it's a good place to start...

Yabut like, it's not "my" rocket. I didn't build it, I would have just brought it.
There's nothing wrong with that but that's not what I wanna do.

You build the rocket body and the recovery system...

The rocket engines are a one time use -- and on many rockets - they eject from the rocket in flight..... You can get various grades of thrust -- and ejection charges for popping parachutes --- in varying time delays -- or even instantaneous eject charge - to light a second, or third stage........

You still get to do plenty of building --- but you lower the risk of blowing shit up to almost nil....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
15-10-2016, 10:04 AM
G. Harry Stine's book, "Handbook of Model Rocketry" is a valuable resource.
https://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Model-Ro...0471472425
15-10-2016, 11:08 AM
(15-10-2016 06:45 AM)skyking Wrote:  'fingers will be blown off' Big Grin

Dad was a dynamite man, a powder monkey in the postwar vernacular. He never played with us kids with blasting caps or the like, but his inner child needed to play.
What to do? Make your own black powder of course! This despite the fact that making black powder was one of the most dangerous things you could engage in.
Ok, all fingers and windows intact, what to do with it?
Home made cannon and rocket attempts. Attempts is the key here. He mixed the powder with fine sawdust, inert materials you name it. Either it fizzled like a wet firecracker or it blew up with great vigor. No motor-like middle ground. The most memorable was a middlish sized motor, maybe 1" x 5". He thought he had it, and needed a good platform. He spots this large terra cotta pot that mom had purchased for some outdoor patio plant, and turned it upside down and set up his creation in the bottom hole. He lit the homemade fuse and we hid around the corner of the house.
WABAM! The terra cotta pot was laying flat to the ground, and nothing of the "rocket" was to be seen. He tells my brother and I to pick up all the pieces and he dashes off to the hardware store to get a replacement pot. Big Grin

I did manage to lose my eyebrows and front hair, aged about 11.

My rocket with an aluminium tube body and an auto-releasing parachute on burn-out, fuelled by the contents of five firework rockets, failed miserably.

Never acheived enough initial velocity for its fins to work. Made an impressive hole in the tarmac when it nose dived at full bore.

[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post