Nothing good will come of this. Mach my words, fingers will be blown off.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2016, 12:37 PM
RE: Nothing good will come of this. Mach my words, fingers will be blown off.
For ducks sake, be careful Earmuffs.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-10-2016, 01:11 PM
If possible I’d like to make a documentary of your rocket story, you know, for posterity.

[Image: rocketman%2B2.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
15-10-2016, 02:16 PM
(15-10-2016 12:12 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  So I wanna build a rocket.

I'm fascinated with speed and high performance. It's one of the main reasons I wanna be rich. A big life goal of mine is to beat the land speed record. I don't wanna just fund it I wanna be the guy driving. Obviously, I'm not in a position to build anything even remotely close to being competitive at beating the land speed record. yet So I've often thought about doing smaller projects like gravity carts, Red Bull have a big event up in Auckland every 2nd year, or build a street luge or RC cars or something like that. And it finally clicked. Rockets. Cheap(ish). Minimal tools. Lots of room for design improvement. Don't need other people (this is a biggy). And it combines four passions into one, technical vehicles, science, blowing shit the fuck up (or hopefully not in this case) and speed.

So, I was wondering. Has anyone built model rockets before and do you have any advice for someone who's only experience with rockets is small things I built in the kitchen as a kid using baking soda and vinegar to build pressure in small containers before the top pops off sending the container flying and creating a huge mess everywhere much to his mothers unamusement.

I have done a bit of research already, I got a fair idea of what I wanna build.
I know I could buy one but there's no fun in that, I wanna launch something I built with my hands not brought at the store. Besides, when you build it yourself you learn how it works and learn what you can do to improve it and make it go higher and faster.

edit: Also, why does nobody ever build model rockets with detachable booster engines?

Why not? Join a NZ rocket club and get involved. Most of the seriously destructive stuff require special licenses, which you can obtain once you get some experience. I imagine they often have monthly meetings and group builds and launches. It would be a good opportunity to shadow some senior builders and examine their projects before you begin your own.

I did a lot of model rocketry in my childhood and it is a lot of fun.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
16-10-2016, 06:15 AM
Making rockets will depend greatly on your country's laws regarding the purchase of oxidizers and powdered aluminium, I used to dabble before the government decision to ban the sale of sodium chlorate which I then used to convert to potassium chlorate. Its a fun pass time but can be very frustrating as everything has to be spot on. There are websites galore on rocketry that's probably you best bet.
16-10-2016, 07:37 AM
(16-10-2016 06:15 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Making rockets will depend greatly on your country's laws regarding the purchase of oxidizers and powdered aluminium, I used to dabble before the government decision to ban the sale of sodium chlorate which I then used to convert to potassium chlorate. Its a fun pass time but can be very frustrating as everything has to be spot on. There are websites galore on rocketry that's probably you best bet.

Ah, powdered aluminum, a critical ingredient for ye olde Thermite. Evil_monster

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
16-10-2016, 08:47 AM
Buy a high powered rifle and figure out a way to put a tiny parachute on the bullet.

Smile

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
16-10-2016, 09:06 AM
(16-10-2016 07:37 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(16-10-2016 06:15 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Making rockets will depend greatly on your country's laws regarding the purchase of oxidizers and powdered aluminium, I used to dabble before the government decision to ban the sale of sodium chlorate which I then used to convert to potassium chlorate. Its a fun pass time but can be very frustrating as everything has to be spot on. There are websites galore on rocketry that's probably you best bet.

Fire preeeety! Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
16-10-2016, 10:45 AM
(16-10-2016 07:37 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  

I was told that powdered aluminium plus powdered iodine works as a rocket fuel. I am told the smoke is a pretty purple colour hut not good to breath.

Yt makes the reaction look slow though, wonder if there was another ingredent, further oxidiser?

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
16-10-2016, 11:02 AM
Pretty sure that purple smoke is iodine being liberated.

Hydrogen perodide is more commercially available. It's the Platinum catalyst (Its shape(ing) ) and the corrosion resistant plumbing that's more the problem

Enough H2O2 could get the Me 163 high enough to get shots at American bombers. Wink

Will link through to an artist (CUTANGUS On Deviant art) who has some interesting Peroxide/piston engine ideas.

Thumbsup
31-12-2016, 08:59 PM
I have money to burn now (well not really, but enough for this). So the project begins.
First step, buying some potassium nitrate over the internet which is not at all dodgy as fuck.