Nothing good will come of this. Mach my words, fingers will be blown off.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-01-2017, 10:51 AM
RE: Nothing good will come of this. Mach my words, fingers will be blown off.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2017, 04:50 PM
(15-10-2016 12:12 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  So I wanna build a rocket.

I'm fascinated with speed and high performance. It's one of the main reasons I wanna be rich. A big life goal of mine is to beat the land speed record. I don't wanna just fund it I wanna be the guy driving. Obviously, I'm not in a position to build anything even remotely close to being competitive at beating the land speed record. yet So I've often thought about doing smaller projects like gravity carts, Red Bull have a big event up in Auckland every 2nd year, or build a street luge or RC cars or something like that. And it finally clicked. Rockets. Cheap(ish). Minimal tools. Lots of room for design improvement. Don't need other people (this is a biggy). And it combines four passions into one, technical vehicles, science, blowing shit the fuck up (or hopefully not in this case) and speed.

So, I was wondering. Has anyone built model rockets before and do you have any advice for someone who's only experience with rockets is small things I built in the kitchen as a kid using baking soda and vinegar to build pressure in small containers before the top pops off sending the container flying and creating a huge mess everywhere much to his mothers unamusement.

I have done a bit of research already, I got a fair idea of what I wanna build.
I know I could buy one but there's no fun in that, I wanna launch something I built with my hands not brought at the store. Besides, when you build it yourself you learn how it works and learn what you can do to improve it and make it go higher and faster.

edit: Also, why does nobody ever build model rockets with detachable booster engines?

I used to do this stuff when I was a kid. Oh for the days you could buy a jar of potassium nitrate at the drug store. Charcoal, potassium nitrate and sugar melted
on a hot plate and poured into a cardboard tube. Multistage rockets are a bitch. Getting a slow fuse and a separation charge timed right is too much for most people doing this. My father who worked for an oil company took a job overseas in the ME and that hobby came to an end.

Nowadays, home made rockets seem to be a hobby of Hezbollah terrorists launching their creations into Israel, or ISIS idiots trying to hit Persmega fighters.
There are a few interesting ISIS rocketry fails to be found on you tube etc.

The other thing that seems to have been something some people tried was soaking kitchen matches for propellant, drying it out and making rockets or fireworks from that. That was a good way to lose fingers, hands and eyes, and apparently some did so, the classic being trying to use this crap to fill empty CO2 cartridges to make rockets. Bang! Ouch!

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post
05-01-2017, 06:52 PM
Did you use "mach" in the title of this rocket thread on purpose or was that a happy accident, much like when you eventually blow off a few fingers?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-01-2017, 06:57 PM
(05-01-2017 06:52 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Did you use "mach" in the title of this rocket thread on purpose or was that a happy accident, much like when you eventually blow off a few fingers?

I'm betting he's gonna mistake one of the rocket tubes as a vacuum cleaner and blow his dick off.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
05-01-2017, 07:11 PM
The picture I posted of the rocket I built is an example of what can be done with about $500 and a little time, and done safely. It is high power, but still a model. It doesn't contain a guidance system beyond the fins, nor does it have ordnance in it (except for the ejection charge for the parachute, which is about a teaspoon of black powder).
05-01-2017, 07:20 PM
(05-01-2017 07:11 PM)Fireball Wrote:  The picture I posted of the rocket I built is an example of what can be done with about $500 and a little time, and done safely. It is high power, but still a model. It doesn't contain a guidance system beyond the fins, nor does it have ordnance in it (except for the ejection charge for the parachute, which is about a teaspoon of black powder).

Teaspoon should be plenty.

#sigh
05-01-2017, 08:36 PM
(05-01-2017 04:50 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  Nowadays, home made rockets seem to be a hobby of Hezbollah terrorists launching their creations into Israel, or ISIS idiots trying to hit Persmega fighters.
There are a few interesting ISIS rocketry fails to be found on you tube etc.

Oh, man, because of this post I YouTube searched for "ISIS rocket fails" and I'm so glad I did! Laugh out load

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
05-01-2017, 10:16 PM
(05-01-2017 07:20 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-01-2017 07:11 PM)Fireball Wrote:  The picture I posted of the rocket I built is an example of what can be done with about $500 and a little time, and done safely. It is high power, but still a model. It doesn't contain a guidance system beyond the fins, nor does it have ordnance in it (except for the ejection charge for the parachute, which is about a teaspoon of black powder).

Teaspoon should be plenty.

A teaspoon of ejaculate in the wrong womb has caused some serious problems in the world. Is that what you are referring to? Tongue
05-01-2017, 10:39 PM
(05-01-2017 10:16 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(05-01-2017 07:20 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Teaspoon should be plenty.

A teaspoon of ejaculate in the wrong womb has caused some serious problems in the world. Is that what you are referring to? Tongue

I was referring to the amount of explosives necessary to blow off cuntmuffin's micropenis.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
06-01-2017, 05:38 PM
(05-01-2017 06:52 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Did you use "mach" in the title of this rocket thread on purpose or was that a happy accident, much like when you eventually blow off a few fingers?

Purpose. And I'm not gonna blow my fingers off (or my dick, Girly, though if I do I'll request my forum name be changed to GirlyMuffs) because I'm not a fucking idiot who will completely neglect safety.

Quote:The picture I posted of the rocket I built is an example of what can be done with about $500 and a little time, and done safely. It is high power, but still a model. It doesn't contain a guidance system beyond the fins, nor does it have ordnance in it (except for the ejection charge for the parachute, which is about a teaspoon of black powder).

Oh, much cheaper than I expected. Though I still don't have $500 nor the tools/machines required to make such a rocket. At least not yet.

So I have a bit of an issue. I live in the middle of a city and only have a bicycle.
I mean I live next to a lake but I wanna ideally retrieve it afterwards and ideally not need diving equipment to do so.
I suspect you need a lot of space to launch something like this. Maybe something a little bigger than a local park?

[Image: oscar.png]