23-01-2014, 09:05 PM
Nothing makes sense
It seems impossible to rationalize anything

Truth seeker.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-01-2014, 09:26 PM
RE: Nothing makes sense
I don't know about anything, but for many issues with any complexity to them, I'd agree.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
23-01-2014, 09:27 PM
Just do it like I do!

Simply dont give a fuck!!!

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 3 users Like The Germans are coming's post
28-01-2014, 11:15 PM
Does 1+1=2 seem rational to you?
29-01-2014, 12:23 AM
(28-01-2014 11:15 PM)donotwant Wrote:  Does 1+1=2 seem rational to you?

Yeah, it's based on the natural laws of the universe. That doesn't mean it couldn't change.

Truth seeker.
29-01-2014, 12:43 AM
(23-01-2014 09:05 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  It seems impossible to rationalize anything

The statement:

Nothing makes sense.

is also self-refuting because if it is true then it is at least one thing that "makes sense".

The statement:

is just autobiographical information. So you are unable to "rationalize anything", so what? Given that you've thus far posted two self-refuting statements it suggests that you have no understanding of logic or epistemology so it is unsurprising that to you "[i]t seems impossible to rationalize anything".
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chippy's post
29-01-2014, 12:49 AM
(29-01-2014 12:23 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  Yeah, it's based on the natural laws of the universe. That doesn't mean it couldn't change.

1+1=2 has nothing to do with the "natural laws of the universe" it is a mathematical tautology, i.e. the expressions on either side of the equality sign are the same by definition.

'1+1' is equal by definition to '2'. Assuming that we are numerating in base 10 then 1+1=2 is always true and will always be true. We can be certain that 1+1=2 because of its tautologous nature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chippy's post
29-01-2014, 01:29 AM
(29-01-2014 12:23 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(28-01-2014 11:15 PM)donotwant Wrote:  Does 1+1=2 seem rational to you?

Yeah, it's based on the natural laws of the universe. That doesn't mean it couldn't change.

Wrong. 1+1 can't be anything but 2. Because if it was 3 then 3-1 does not equal 1. Only 1 can be reversed back to the original order. Which is why you can't divide anything which is not 0 by 0 because no answer would suffice.
You feel better now boy?
[+] 2 users Like donotwant's post
29-01-2014, 01:52 AM
(29-01-2014 12:43 AM)Chippy Wrote:  
(23-01-2014 09:05 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  It seems impossible to rationalize anything

The statement:

Nothing makes sense.

is also self-refuting because if it is true then it is at least one thing that "makes sense".

The statement:

is just autobiographical information. So you are unable to "rationalize anything", so what? Given that you've thus far posted two self-refuting statements it suggests that you have no understanding of logic or epistemology so it is unsurprising that to you "[i]t seems impossible to rationalize anything".
Bear with me here; do you mind satisfying my professional curiosity as Grammar Nazi foreign speaker of the English language concerning certain punctuation rules?

Ever since I've learned to write English, I've been using punctuation marks outside of quotes, as exemplified by the following sentences:

"You are a very nice guy", said Bob.
Once he had entered the room, Mark shouted "Hey everyone!".

Now, every once in a while, either when reading English newspapers or posts from people on this forum (including you), I have noticed that you guys put the punctuation marks within the boundaries of the quotes, as exemplified by the following sentences:

"You are a very nice guy," said Bob.
Once he had entered the room, Mark shouted "Hey everyone!"

A couple of days ago I decided to do a little research to check which one of these methods is the the grammatically correct one and came to the conclusion that it is the latter.

Now, given that you have been following this rule strictly in your previous posts, I can't help but wonder why you didn't in this particular post. Is it possible that both are valid or was this simply a minor oversight of yours? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
29-01-2014, 02:10 AM
(29-01-2014 01:52 AM)Vosur Wrote:  ...
Is it possible that both are valid or was this simply a minor oversight of yours? Consider

Vos,

Native speakers sometimes deliberately refuse to follow the established rules occasionally just to mess with your head and make you go and buy expensive books.

This one has it right.