Nothing makes sense

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-01-2014, 03:05 AM
Re: RE: Nothing makes sense
(29-01-2014 03:03 AM)Chippy Wrote:  
(29-01-2014 02:54 AM)Phil Hill Wrote:  No asshole, picking up one rock is one rock. No numeric system was mentioned.

Given that 1+1=2 assumes base 10 numeration and Arabic numerals your rock example is entirely irrelevant.

'1' is an arbitrary glyph
'+' is an arbitrary glyph
'=' is an arbitrary glyph
'2' is an arbitrary glyph

No one is disputing that if you had one rock and you picked up another rock you would have two rocks, you stupid loudmouth American.

'1+2=2' is true only by virtue of the meanings that have been assigned to the individual glyphs that comprise it.

Mathematical equation have the property of equality because they express the same quantity (or variable) on both sides of the equation, i.e. they are tautologies.

The equation '1+1=2' means absolutely nothing to someone that has not been taught what it means. '1+1=2' has no intrinsic meaning.
Your a fucking idiot. Go fuck yourself and build your strawman with an impressionable 3 year old that you can convince.

Edit : just noticed the American crack so go die you fucking condescending bigot.

Using Tapatalk
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-01-2014, 03:13 AM (This post was last modified: 29-01-2014 03:21 AM by Chippy.)
RE: Nothing makes sense
(29-01-2014 02:54 AM)Phil Hill Wrote:  No asshole, picking up one rock is one rock. No numeric system was mentioned. Maybe if I had said single rock in each hand you would have used your brain.

If definition has nothing to do with the truth of equations then how does algebra work where an equation can have no numbers whatsoever?

x(a+b) = xa + xb

The above is true solely because of the way the expression on each side of the equality operator is defined.

'x(a+b)' represents no quantity and neither does 'ax+ab' yet the equation is true. Furthermore, 'x(a+b)' has no instrinsic meaning and neither does 'ax+ab'.

You are a stupid loudmouth American.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-01-2014, 03:16 AM
(29-01-2014 03:05 AM)Phil Hill Wrote:  Your a fucking idiot. Go fuck yourself and build your strawman with an impressionable 3 year old that you can convince.

Edit : just noticed the American crack so go die you fucking condescending bigot.

Blah, blah, blah, listen to me because I'm a stupid loudmouth American that can't find the USA on a map of the world unless it is labelled. I'm a stupid American from the suburbs, I know nothing but I have lots of opinions. Blah, blah, blah.
29-01-2014, 03:20 AM
(29-01-2014 03:05 AM)Phil Hill Wrote:  Your a fucking idiot.

You're = You are

You're an ignorant American.

Quote: Go fuck yourself and build your strawman with an impressionable 3 year old that you can convince.

What university did you study philosophy of mathematics and formal logic you loudmouth buffoon?
29-01-2014, 03:32 AM
(29-01-2014 02:18 AM)donotwant Wrote:  Can you tell me how 3 laws of logic(identity, non contradiction and excluded middle). Can be false?
That's where rationality comes from.

They can be false. The three laws hold only for classical logic. There are non-classical logics that violate one or more of each of the 3 fundamental laws. Here is an overview.

It is a bit of a mind fuck when you first learn of it but you should note that:
--for most things classical logic is still king
--these non-classical logics are not arbitrary inventions they were constructed to help solve real problems that couldn't be modeled with classical logic, e.g. fuzzy logic and quantum logic
--use classical logic unless it has been shown to fail for a given application
29-01-2014, 03:34 AM
(29-01-2014 03:05 AM)Phil Hill Wrote:  Go fuck yourself and build your strawman with an impressionable 3 year old that you can convince.

Rather than admit you don't know what you are talking about you throw out the name of an informal logical fallacy as if that settles the matter.
29-01-2014, 03:38 AM
(29-01-2014 02:15 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  Self refuting statements? Like: "that which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence", or "you can never be 100% sure about anything"?

If you are depressed get some help don't just sit there making cryptic posts. It looks to me that you are experiencing self-loathing and existential angst. If you want advice then post in the personal support section (where dickheads like "Phil Hill" are censored) and I will try and offer you guidance.

I could explain to you what a self-refuting statement is but I doubt you are interested.
[+] 1 user Likes Chippy's post
29-01-2014, 03:53 AM
All of you are stupid.
29-01-2014, 04:02 AM
(29-01-2014 03:53 AM)donotwant Wrote:  All of you are stupid.

I disagree. Only 'Phil Hill' is stupid.
29-01-2014, 04:03 AM
Well you wrote bunch of non sequeter nonsense. The numerical system is not important in my discussion.
Besides logical absolutes are true in any possible universe.