Nothing vs. Infinity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2013, 05:03 PM
RE: Nothing vs. Infinity
(08-11-2013 04:58 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  Nothing must have existed

I wanna answer this, but........

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2013, 05:12 PM
According to the zero-energy hypothesis, the energy of the universe is exactly zero (negative gravitational energy cancels out positive energy in the form of matter). If that turns out to be accurate, then Something = Nothing in which case we might be able to say that nothing still exists!

Did someone mention drinks? Big Grin

And I told him "that's crazy..." Unsure
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
08-11-2013, 05:20 PM
(08-11-2013 05:01 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(08-11-2013 04:54 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I'm not sure but I have a bottle of captain morgan tattoo I'm willing to share. I'd rather get drunk and forget about the philosophical stuff tonight. Tongue

Sorry honey, boss got back from vacay the other day and brought me some Kona coffee from the big island, good shit. I've been enjoying it with some cheap bourbon mixed in all day, and these are the questions that bug me when I'm buzzed. I'd bet some rum would go good with the Kona, I'm willing to share too, but what the hell will we talk about?

No, love, I said drunk not buzzed Tongue
It doesn't matter what we talk about because we won't remember most of it tomorrow anyways
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
08-11-2013, 05:21 PM
(08-11-2013 05:12 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  Did someone mention drinks? Big Grin

You're invited too
08-11-2013, 05:23 PM
(08-11-2013 04:58 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  It's my understanding that infinity is just shorthand for "a really big number."

(08-11-2013 04:10 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Nothing doesn't exist Drinking Beverage

Nothing must have existed at some point if it eventually turned into something. That means "nothing" is probably more like "something" than we have been led to believe...

Huh

If it existed then it was never nothing to begin with, so nothing still doesn't exist Smile
08-11-2013, 05:25 PM
(08-11-2013 05:12 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  According to the zero-energy hypothesis, the energy of the universe is exactly zero (negative gravitational energy cancels out positive energy in the form of matter). If that turns out to be accurate, then Something = Nothing in which case we might be able to say that nothing still exists!

Did someone mention drinks? Big Grin

Yes, drinks......and strong ones. Banana_zorro

If we can mathematically define nothing, it's not nothing. Of course this is depending on your definition of nothing. In this case I mean nothing, not "the stuff that makes up nothing" that we can observe (or at least mathematically postulate).

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
08-11-2013, 05:27 PM
(08-11-2013 05:20 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  No, love, I said drunk not buzzed Tongue
It doesn't matter what we talk about because we won't remember most of it tomorrow anyways

I firmly believe that this is the reason that I'm not a scientist. Tongue

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
08-11-2013, 05:34 PM
Nothing vs. Infinity
(08-11-2013 04:12 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(08-11-2013 04:10 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Nothing doesn't exist Drinking Beverage

Who asked you? Tongue

You are correct, however, and that's my point. Does infinity exist?

Nothing and infinity are negations of concrete concepts, namely
Thing and finite.

so when we say that we see nothing, we really
mean, we see not a thing. Of course, we could not see nothingness itself,
because then it would be something.
[+] 2 users Like black_squirrel's post
08-11-2013, 05:37 PM
(08-11-2013 05:34 PM)black_squirrel Wrote:  
(08-11-2013 04:12 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Who asked you? Tongue

You are correct, however, and that's my point. Does infinity exist?

Nothing and infinity are negations of concrete concepts, namely
Thing and finite.

So what you're saying is, when we see a lack of something we call it nothing but we can't really see it because it doesn't exist?
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
08-11-2013, 05:42 PM
(08-11-2013 05:37 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(08-11-2013 05:34 PM)black_squirrel Wrote:  Nothing and infinity are negations of concrete concepts, namely
Thing and finite.

So what you're saying is, when we see a lack of something we call it nothing but we can't really see it because it doesn't exist?

I was just thinking about the word "finite". Thumbsup

Understanding is finite. Nothing and infinity are not "finite" concepts. Can we understand these concepts? I think we can have a good grasp at what they imply, but it may be logically impossible to truly "understand" nothing or infinity, being as that everything we know is finite.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post