Nothingness - that's me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2015, 05:30 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2015 05:35 PM by rezider.)
Nothingness - that's me
Hello, guys!

I was reading through a lot of things recently and it came to mind that this week I have a philosophical essay to write on a fragment that will be presented to me at the appointed time. I don't know what topic they might pick (God, human, life, being/nothingness, what's philosophy etc.) but you could say I am looking forward to it.

I thought this would be a nice opportunity to tackle nothingness and "what it is." We might claim that our world came into being ex nihilo but how do we "imagine" nothingness? Is it just a human term that got thrown in the second we popped into existence? Are humans the nothingness of being or "is it something real"?

"Nothingness lies coiled in the heart of being - like a worm."
- Jean-Paul Sartre, Being and Nothingness

"I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way." - Carl Sagan
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2015, 05:34 PM
RE: Nothingness - that's me
I can't imagine "nothingness", but I'm sure me ex could.....

Trust me -- nothing going on in her head.......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
02-03-2015, 09:07 PM
Nothingness ... equilibrium, tranquillity, harmony.

The undiscovered Country.

'Tis a consummation Devoutly to be wished.

03-03-2015, 08:28 AM
The term can be useful in everyday life. Otherwise, i'm not sure. Isn't it an absolute concept? like saying zero, 0% or 100%. So you have to ask, do those concepts exist for "real"?
03-03-2015, 08:54 AM
(03-03-2015 08:28 AM)Sjp2 Wrote:  The term can be useful in everyday life. Otherwise, i'm not sure. Isn't it an absolute concept? like saying zero, 0% or 100%. So you have to ask, do those concepts exist for "real"?

According to what you asked we have two sides of this argument: Parmenides, who claims that only being exists, and Gorgias, who claims that nothing exists.

Putting these two aside we are presented with (a) being and (b) nothingness. If we consider them as a thesis and anti-thesis, we could then proceed to use the Hegelian Dialectical Formula: Thesis versus Anti-thesis equals Synthesis. In a sense, we cannot think of one thing without the thought about the other (whenever we acknowledge something we renounce something else).

But the questions, as you said, still remain: Do both 'exist'? Does only one 'exist'? Are they just concepts?

We know that something exists (at least we think we do). "Cogito ergo sum" (Rene Descartes). That's why the biggest question should be: How do we define nothingness?

03-03-2015, 08:58 AM
"nothing" can only be quantified in abstract but not described.

That is - the vacuum of space, devoid of any energy - can be described as a region, dimensionally - i.e. a 5 meter sphere, cube, ect.. But you can't really describe what it looks like, because it doesn't......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
03-03-2015, 09:10 AM
(03-03-2015 08:58 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  "nothing" can only be quantified in abstract but not described.

That is - the vacuum of space, devoid of any energy - can be described as a region, dimensionally - i.e. a 5 meter sphere, cube, ect.. But you can't really describe what it looks like, because it doesn't......

Exactly! Ain't that a b*tch?

(03-03-2015 08:58 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  ...That is - the vacuum of space, devoid of any energy - can be described as a region, dimensionally...

Even space is not nothing. It is fluidic.

03-03-2015, 10:06 AM
(02-03-2015 05:30 PM)rezider Wrote:  Hello, guys!

I was reading through a lot of things recently and it came to mind that this week I have a philosophical essay to write on a fragment that will be presented to me at the appointed time. I don't know what topic they might pick (God, human, life, being/nothingness, what's philosophy etc.) but you could say I am looking forward to it.

I thought this would be a nice opportunity to tackle nothingness and "what it is." We might claim that our world came into being ex nihilo but how do we "imagine" nothingness? Is it just a human term that got thrown in the second we popped into existence? Are humans the nothingness of being or "is it something real"?

"Nothingness lies coiled in the heart of being - like a worm."
- Jean-Paul Sartre, Being and Nothingness

Nothingness is probably best described as non existence.

The bigger question is this:

Is non existence a state of being?

It could be a paradox philosophy, or perhaps nothingness is an existence unto itself.

Consider the concept of "negative mass." Negative mass is the hypothetical idea that matter can exist with mass of the opposite sign to the ordinary stuff. Instead of 2 kg, a lump of negative mass would be -2 kg.

Nobody knows whether negative mass can exist but there have nevertheless been plenty of analyses to determine its properties. In particular, physicists have investigated whether negative mass would violate various laws of the universe, such as the conservation of energy or momentum and therefore cannot exist. These analyses suggest that although the interaction of positive and negative mass produces counterintuitive behaviour, it does not violate these conservation laws.

https://medium.com/the-physics-arxiv-blo...0a980320a7

Therefore, negative mass demonstrates the possible existence of that which is less than zero; less than nothing.

Hence, to understand nothingness appears to first require us to understand the definition of existence. If negative mass can exist, then nothingness is an existence unto itself.

It's all counter intuitive, folks. Don't blame me if your mind tightens up like a rubber band and snaps.

Tongue

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
03-03-2015, 10:16 AM
Being and nothingness, huh? One becomes the other. Don't think too hard on it or you'll just end up mentally masturbating your life away.

To be, or not. This and the other one (Why?) keep everyone running in circles in the night.

Humans. Drinking Beverage sheesh

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
03-03-2015, 10:50 AM
(03-03-2015 09:10 AM)rezider Wrote:  Even space is not nothing. It is fluidic.

Let's not go dragging species 8472 into this

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP