Nothingness - that's me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2015, 01:12 PM
RE: Nothingness - that's me
(03-03-2015 10:06 AM)Free Wrote:  
(02-03-2015 05:30 PM)rezider Wrote:  Hello, guys!

I was reading through a lot of things recently and it came to mind that this week I have a philosophical essay to write on a fragment that will be presented to me at the appointed time. I don't know what topic they might pick (God, human, life, being/nothingness, what's philosophy etc.) but you could say I am looking forward to it.

I thought this would be a nice opportunity to tackle nothingness and "what it is." We might claim that our world came into being ex nihilo but how do we "imagine" nothingness? Is it just a human term that got thrown in the second we popped into existence? Are humans the nothingness of being or "is it something real"?

"Nothingness lies coiled in the heart of being - like a worm."
- Jean-Paul Sartre, Being and Nothingness

Nothingness is probably best described as non existence.

The bigger question is this:

Is non existence a state of being?

It could be a paradox philosophy, or perhaps nothingness is an existence unto itself.

Consider the concept of "negative mass." Negative mass is the hypothetical idea that matter can exist with mass of the opposite sign to the ordinary stuff. Instead of 2 kg, a lump of negative mass would be -2 kg.

Nobody knows whether negative mass can exist but there have nevertheless been plenty of analyses to determine its properties. In particular, physicists have investigated whether negative mass would violate various laws of the universe, such as the conservation of energy or momentum and therefore cannot exist. These analyses suggest that although the interaction of positive and negative mass produces counterintuitive behaviour, it does not violate these conservation laws.

https://medium.com/the-physics-arxiv-blo...0a980320a7

Therefore, negative mass demonstrates the possible existence of that which is less than zero; less than nothing.

Hence, to understand nothingness appears to first require us to understand the definition of existence. If negative mass can exist, then nothingness is an existence unto itself.

It's all counter intuitive, folks. Don't blame me if your mind tightens up like a rubber band and snaps.

Tongue

Now we can all conclude that our universe has mass and outside of it there is mass of the opposite sign, which means that the very edge of the universe is NOTHINGNESS! We figured it out, everyone! Big Grin

Nah, just joking (no sh*t?!). Thanks for the link though! I didn't know that. Smile

"I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way." - Carl Sagan
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2015, 01:26 PM
Whether we can imagine it or not "nothing" has to be the opposite of "something". Kinda simplistic but I think it works.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
03-03-2015, 02:30 PM
(03-03-2015 01:26 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Whether we can imagine it or not "nothing" has to be the opposite of "something". Kinda simplistic but I think it works.

And "something" is the opposite of "nothing"... how do we know what "something" is then?

"I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way." - Carl Sagan
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-03-2015, 04:33 PM
(03-03-2015 02:30 PM)rezider Wrote:  
(03-03-2015 01:26 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Whether we can imagine it or not "nothing" has to be the opposite of "something". Kinda simplistic but I think it works.

And "something" is the opposite of "nothing"... how do we know what "something" is then?

We see something around us all the time.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
07-03-2015, 11:14 AM
nothing doesn't exist...Smile
07-03-2015, 11:46 AM
Nothing is a very special kind of thing.

#sigh
07-03-2015, 01:55 PM
(03-03-2015 09:10 AM)rezider Wrote:  Even space is not nothing. It is fluidic.

And teeming with quantum "foam". In this universe, there is no "nothingness".
It's cool idea, but it doesn't exist. Dodgy

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.