Notice Regarding Changes in Forum Management

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2014, 08:53 PM
Notice Regarding Changes in Forum Management
Dearest forum members,

As you know, there's been some changes, namely me stepping into the admin seat. This was prompted by a number of emails sent to Seth regarding the forum and its alleged mis-management. As always, Seth has many other responsibilities and can't take on this forum as yet another. Therefore, as always, he's accommodated this community by providing the forum, so long as the management of the forum is not his responsibility. After some discussion, Seth and I concluded that the forum members had somehow forgotten that this place is not some piece of land we all stumbled upon, and must now govern together as a sovereign nation. That's not was this forum is, nor was it ever. This is a part of a website, paid for by TheThinkingAtheist and its sponsors. Seth Andrews has asked me to run the forum how I see fit.

Yes, Seth is aware that I DO NOT intend to run the forum like a democracy. He is on board with how I plan to do things.

Let me take this opportunity to remind you...if you have a problem with the forum DO NOT EMAIL SETH. I know of at least a few who will anyways, but rest assured, Seth and I are on the same page.

Now before you all run for cover, no this isn't some hostile takeover. I'm actually a pretty nice guy, and genuinely care about this forum and its members. In fact, you'll likely find the forum isn't really any different than before, save for a few more "judgement calls" made, and a little less patience for shenanigans. I think for 90% of you, that will be a positive change.

From this point forward, supermods and myself will make any decisions with regard the the forum, it's rules, and how they are enforced. This isn't because anyone was incompetent, it's simply a matter of FAR to many cooks in a very small kitchen. The existing Supermods will stay where they are, and the next few weeks will determine if the existing team meshes well, or if we need to make adjustments.

Moderators are still a valuable part of the team, and for now we will also keep the mods who wish to remain. Again, the coming weeks will determine how everyone fits into their new role. We are drafting a better explination of the role our mods play so that both they, and the forum members, can better understand what they do and why their role is so important here.

Veterans will be changed back to regular members, and the veteran section will be closed, but remain open to viewing by the former veterans.

I have always been an advocate of free speech. However, I also accept that a place like this has rules, and whether I like them or not, if I wish to remain, I must abide by them. I'm not a fan of rules, and many of you remember that from long ago, before I even got to wear a special color. So I hope to keep rules to a minimum. But I also have a job to do, and that will require some forum restrictions. These changes, again, will show up in the coming weeks.

Maybe a few less trolls, and a few more old fashioned warnings of "don't be a dick". But other than that, I hope to see the forum discussions continue as they always have. That is, for the most part, unmoderated or restricted.

Stark Raving
Forum Administrator

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 18 users Like Stark Raving's post
08-11-2014, 09:02 PM
RE: Notice Regarding Changes in Forum Management
A straight forward "this is how it's gonna be" answer.
Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
08-11-2014, 09:08 PM
Awesome Cool I like it.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
08-11-2014, 09:15 PM
Moderator is one of the most unappreciated lines of work I've ever known of. Best of luck!
[+] 1 user Likes photon9's post
08-11-2014, 09:19 PM
All hail dictator Stark! Bowing

Love the less patience for shenanigans Thumbsup

A little broken hearted over not being able to attain vet status Sadcryface

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
08-11-2014, 09:28 PM
(08-11-2014 09:19 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  A little broken hearted over not being able to attain vet status Sadcryface

Meh. It obviously wasn't worth the trouble. Drinking Beverage

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
08-11-2014, 09:30 PM
Is it just me, or have I lost all of my stars? Not that it's a big deal, but....???

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
08-11-2014, 09:32 PM
I've been asked this by PM and it may be relevant to a few of you so listen up.

Any people who were previously Vets will have lost PM space when I made the changes (your permissions are now that of regular users). Vets who are contributors will still have increased space in relation to non-contributing members, however they will have less space than before as they have lost their additional Veteran allocation.

If you have any further questions then PM any SM or Admin (though remember that if you are now over your PM space we will not be able to reply until you delete some messages).

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
08-11-2014, 09:33 PM
(08-11-2014 09:30 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Is it just me, or have I lost all of my stars? Not that it's a big deal, but....???

You apparently have, and I'll try and figure out why. Consider

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
08-11-2014, 09:33 PM
(08-11-2014 09:30 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Is it just me, or have I lost all of my stars? Not that it's a big deal, but....???

Yeah, your stars are gone Sad