Notice Regarding Changes in Forum Management

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2014, 10:12 PM
RE: Notice Regarding Changes in Forum Management
(10-11-2014 07:40 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  
(10-11-2014 07:32 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  You do the math.

I hate math Dodgy

Math:
How many pancakes can i fit in the mailbox if i have 6 pencils & 4 kittens?
Answer:
Purple. Because aliens dont respond to orange golf balls.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like WitchSabrina's post
10-11-2014, 10:15 PM
(10-11-2014 10:06 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(10-11-2014 09:50 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  What questions are being blown off or avoided?

In general it's what I see happen time and time again when these conversations are had here between the FT and the regular members. The arguments go back and forth and I know that a lot of it is due to the fact that there are multiple people posting about different angles of the issue and it's easy to lose track. But I've seen many times in the past that issues are simply bounced around enough until the horse drops dead and nobody really gives answers, or gets answers to the questions they had.

Just an observation.

Specifically? I've made an issue of why the vet section was done away with, and have not received any an answer as to why. I'm not mad, bro. If it needs to go in order to help out the forum then it needs to go. I can respect that. I was just curious as to the why.

Can a man get an answer to his question?

I didn't read you as mad at all. Be cool Hunnybunny. I was simply being direct so I could address your question.

The reason the vet section was removed was because I decided that my efforts needed to be directed elsewhere, so I made a call based on what was easiest for me. It was a selfish call, and I admit that. Perhaps not the best example of leadership, but I'll try to be humble and learn from it. Thats about as clear as I can be about it. We good?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
10-11-2014, 10:36 PM
(10-11-2014 10:15 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I didn't read you as mad at all. Be cool Hunnybunny. I was simply being direct so I could address your question.

The reason the vet section was removed was because I decided that my efforts needed to be directed elsewhere, so I made a call based on what was easiest for me. It was a selfish call, and I admit that. Perhaps not the best example of leadership, but I'll try to be humble and learn from it. Thats about as clear as I can be about it. We good?

Thanks. I appreciate the candor. We're fucking Fonzies, man.

My comment was, like I said, also directed at the way that matters have been handled in the recent past. Nothing to do with you, and not meant as a slight towards anyone else (I know that everyone was trying to do their best for the place), just an observation as to what was so frustrating about what the forum has gone through. The lack of communication.

Let's be clear, the forum is communication. In essence, that's all it is. That's all it can be. I think that it best serves the forum to have the clearest communication that it can. I understand that a place like this with so many dissenting viewpoints and opinions can be a bitch to govern, I don't envy you in the least. But given that we're all here under similar burdens, I only think it fair to the people that come here that the FT and the admin do their best to be on the same page as much as possible when possible.

I know that's what you're striving for, Stark. I'm just giving you my opinion on what I think can be improved upon, and what I see has been a frustration for members in the past.

We're good, brother.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 4 users Like evenheathen's post
11-11-2014, 03:19 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2014 03:28 PM by WitchSabrina.)
(08-11-2014 08:53 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Dearest forum members,

As you know, there's been some changes, namely me stepping into the admin seat. This was prompted by a number of emails sent to Seth regarding the forum and its alleged mis-management. As always, Seth has many other responsibilities and can't take on this forum as yet another. Therefore, as always, he's accommodated this community by providing the forum, so long as the management of the forum is not his responsibility. After some discussion, Seth and I concluded that the forum members had somehow forgotten that this place is not some piece of land we all stumbled upon, and must now govern together as a sovereign nation. That's not was this forum is, nor was it ever. This is a part of a website, paid for by TheThinkingAtheist and its sponsors. Seth Andrews has asked me to run the forum how I see fit.

Yes, Seth is aware that I DO NOT intend to run the forum like a democracy. He is on board with how I plan to do things.

Let me take this opportunity to remind you...if you have a problem with the forum DO NOT EMAIL SETH. I know of at least a few who will anyways, but rest assured, Seth and I are on the same page.

Now before you all run for cover, no this isn't some hostile takeover. I'm actually a pretty nice guy, and genuinely care about this forum and its members. In fact, you'll likely find the forum isn't really any different than before, save for a few more "judgement calls" made, and a little less patience for shenanigans. I think for 90% of you, that will be a positive change.

From this point forward, supermods and myself will make any decisions with regard the the forum, it's rules, and how they are enforced. This isn't because anyone was incompetent, it's simply a matter of FAR to many cooks in a very small kitchen. The existing Supermods will stay where they are, and the next few weeks will determine if the existing team meshes well, or if we need to make adjustments.

Moderators are still a valuable part of the team, and for now we will also keep the mods who wish to remain. Again, the coming weeks will determine how everyone fits into their new role. We are drafting a better explination of the role our mods play so that both they, and the forum members, can better understand what they do and why their role is so important here.

Veterans will be changed back to regular members, and the veteran section will be closed, but remain open to viewing by the former veterans.

I have always been an advocate of free speech. However, I also accept that a place like this has rules, and whether I like them or not, if I wish to remain, I must abide by them. I'm not a fan of rules, and many of you remember that from long ago, before I even got to wear a special color. So I hope to keep rules to a minimum. But I also have a job to do, and that will require some forum restrictions. These changes, again, will show up in the coming weeks.

Maybe a few less trolls, and a few more old fashioned warnings of "don't be a dick". But other than that, I hope to see the forum discussions continue as they always have. That is, for the most part, unmoderated or restricted.

Stark Raving
Forum Administrator

I think having a generalized standard of "don't be a dick" is the perfect measuring system by which to govern.
Other than your glaring error[1] in stating this isnt a democracy.... All you said was perfection.

[1] Because if (big if) there ever arises another WC event the peasants will revolt again stating their importance for community continuity and working the land, paying their taxes, etc..... And they'll attempt to boil you in oil, check entrails or, at the very least, place you in the stocks & throw vegetables at you for a bit; due to their world view and the level of magical forum powers via participation they feel they hold.

[+] 2 users Like WitchSabrina's post
11-11-2014, 03:58 PM
(10-11-2014 08:01 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(08-11-2014 09:47 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  So the thread where people expressed their concerns was completely ignored?

DT pays for the forum.

Well, not all former vets.

Irrelevant. I provide server resources to run the website, and some of my skills to keep it running smoothly with daily backups. Consider it a donation to the TTA community.

The website still belongs to Seth.

I didn't say it was relevant, I was simply correcting Stark's statement.

[Image: oscar.png]
11-11-2014, 04:04 PM
My statement was correct. DT is a sponsor of the forum.

Go try to be right somewhere else Muffs.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
11-11-2014, 04:04 PM
Re: RE: Notice Regarding Changes in Forum Management
(11-11-2014 03:58 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(10-11-2014 08:01 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  Irrelevant. I provide server resources to run the website, and some of my skills to keep it running smoothly with daily backups. Consider it a donation to the TTA community.

Well, his statement was accurate. The site is supported by Seth and those who contribute/donate.

You argue for the sake of argument instead of having a real point to make.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 2 users Like DeepThought's post
11-11-2014, 04:11 PM
(11-11-2014 04:04 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(11-11-2014 03:58 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I didn't say it was relevant, I was simply correcting Stark's statement.
Well, his statement was accurate. The site is supported by Seth and those who contribute/donate.

You argue for the sake of argument instead of having a real point to make.

Well both of you missed how wildly funny I am.
So...there!

[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
11-11-2014, 04:27 PM
Are we still examining the whatnots of who pays for the forum and who pays for servers, etc?
Cause that shit does NOT matter. ( unless someone requests additional funding. Then people should get deep into their pockets or STFU)...

Anyway.... Stark is running the show. He's been Transparent on what he sees in the immediate future.
Maybe we could, i dunno, SHOW HIM SOME GRATITUDE AND SUPPORT for even agreeing to take such a thankless job...instead of fucking hair-splitting sentence nuiance bullshit!

Fcuk!!!

Whew..... I feel better.

[+] 4 users Like WitchSabrina's post
11-11-2014, 04:55 PM
(11-11-2014 03:58 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(10-11-2014 08:01 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  Irrelevant. I provide server resources to run the website, and some of my skills to keep it running smoothly with daily backups. Consider it a donation to the TTA community.

Bitching just to bitch?

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.