Now I become death...the destroyer of worlds

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
14-12-2013, 08:14 PM
RE: Now I become death...the destroyer of worlds
(14-12-2013 02:09 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(14-12-2013 09:42 AM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Science does not have the ability to be "good" or "evil"

It is the motives of people who use it which can be good or evil

You are conflating good and evil with dangerous and harmless. This thread isn't about whether or not science is good(I think it is). This thread is about whether or not science is more dangerous than religion(again I think it is).

You motherfucking IDIOT, you are blathering about TECHNOLOGY and not SCIENCE.

SCIENCE is a systematic METHOD for gaining accurate INFORMATION, nothing more.

[Image: go-fuck-yourself-disney-with-a-vengeance....gif?w=480]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-12-2013, 08:46 PM
Hey dipshit didn't your god destroy all life on earth except for 7 people and some lucky animals that made it to a boat? Seems to me the only instance of world destruction is at the bloody hands of your fairy god.
[+] 3 users Like devilsadvoc8's post
14-12-2013, 10:48 PM
Science and technology enhance human capability. What humans do with their capability is a matter for politics and religion. The two are not comparable. So it seems your actual question is: Is the capability that science and technology have afforded us outstripping society's ability to make decisions in its own interest?

My answer: So far so good. Time will tell. Let's love one another and prefer life to death. That's not a religious or a scientific proposition. It is a secular position.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post
14-12-2013, 11:32 PM
Wow... Spooky... Just clicked on this thread as Dr Strangelove ended.

Science on its own... Harmless.

Science in the hands of politicians... Potentially dangerous.

Science in the hands of religion... Lethal.

Dr Strangelove is a good example of how delusions and apocalyptic weapons are a bad mix. Sure science produced "The Bomb", but science does not try to be a source of morality, it merely strives to understand the universe...

By the OP's logic, it would suggest that ignorance is bliss... If we had all followed that advice, we'd never have left the stone age...

After all, it was through a primitive form of science that we discovered how to make fire... perhaps the stone age equivalent of nuclear power, capable of providing useful heat and light, but also capable of immense destruction.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
15-12-2013, 12:26 AM
science can be used in technology
technology can be used to make weapons
and weapons can be used to kill

On the other hand, science also has saved a lot of lives
andhas made survival easier

Generally think science is better than ignorance/ religion
But if we blow up the earth with a technological advanced weapon
I am willing to change my mind
15-12-2013, 12:35 AM
(15-12-2013 12:26 AM)black_squirrel Wrote:  science can be used in technology

If foolish political or religious leadrers use science to destroy the earth, then it is they who should be held responsible... Not science.

Science is simply a process by which we learn...

Even a nuclear Armageddon wouldn't convince me that religion is a better alternative.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-12-2013, 02:46 AM
(14-12-2013 01:47 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  I am so sick of seeing and hearing idiots frame science as evil compared to that sickness of the mind we see as religion. Give it up or go live without medicine, communication, travel, and zero understanding of the world around you. Go back to viewing lightning as angry gods lashing out you friggin dolts. Like religion should progress and prosper, and science should stop dead in its tracks.

God damn imbeciles!

Where are those idiots framing science as evil compared to religion? I said science was good, not evil. I see a lot of people in this thread confusing dangerous with evil....but I don't think that makes them idiots.
[+] 1 user Likes Heywood Jahblome's post
15-12-2013, 03:04 AM
(15-12-2013 12:26 AM)black_squirrel Wrote:  science can be used in technology

Well 1995 we came within 2 minutes of destroying half of humanity....so theres that.

Scientists often make blunders and it is conceivable that an experiment could be designed which inadvertently destroys the earth. There was some fear the Large Hadron Collider would create a black hole which devours the earth, or the Trinity test would ignite the atmosphere. These experiments were allowed to continue because it was determined the risk of such things actually happening were negligible.....but what if they got it wrong? For instance what if calculations that microscopic black holes would quickly evaporate failed to take into account time dilatation if the blackhole was moving at relativistic speeds? Science itself could be the instrument of our destruction in the form of a science experiment gone horribly wrong.

Now today, as I thought about this question I posed, I realized that while science could be the means by which the world is destroyed, it is also true that it could be the means by which the world is saved. For instance the world of the dinosaurs was destroyed by a meteorite 65 million years ago. The same fate is a lot less likely to befall humanity because science may give us the means to prevent such a catastrophe.

I know that if the humanity or its descendants are to live on for billions and billions of years, we must have science. The destruction of our world is inevitable. These super-good aspects of science balance out the super-bad aspects of science.
15-12-2013, 03:08 AM
(15-12-2013 12:35 AM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Even a nuclear Armageddon wouldn't convince me that religion is a better alternative.

Religion isn't an alternative to science, nor is science an alternative to religion.
15-12-2013, 03:37 AM
Looks like I get to post this delightful image again.

[Image: h9E0E4437]

Stop trying to engage with Heywood. He is a simple, petty, attention whore and forum troll. He did not make this thread to start an honest discussion. He does not care for honest debate or discourse. He's firmly established himself as willfully ignorant and purposely obtuse. I imagine he gets off on this, so simply ignore him. He's not here to debate, he's here to get his ego flamed.

There is the potential here, the seed of an interesting question of a debate. But Heywood is not the person to attempt it, he's simply not honest enough. This thread is simply to rile us all up, and it's working. Stop engaging with his inanity, it'll save you a lot of trouble. You are never going to convince him otherwise, we all know that, and he knows that too.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post