Now I become death...the destroyer of worlds

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
16-12-2013, 02:27 PM
RE: Now I become death...the destroyer of worlds
(16-12-2013 02:14 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Cannot believe this thread goes on for 6 pages.

WTF? LMAO

Science in the hands of ______________________.
Science off sitting by itself on a shelf holds no danger whatsoever. Zip.

it's really not THAT complicated - is it?

Science is a human endeavor so the concept of it sitting by itself on a shelf is nonsensical......in my opinion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2013, 02:28 PM
(16-12-2013 02:25 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 02:14 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Cannot believe this thread goes on for 6 pages.

WTF? LMAO

Without humans, the scientific method very well may not have ever existed, and without the scientific method, most knowledge that currently exists very may never have come to be. If science, as humans have defined it, exists, we must assume that humans exist, and that at least some of them understand science. Therefore, science can never be "sitting by itself." Science always exists with people, and people, with an understanding of science, always have the potential to (eventually, as science progresses) create (with science) a completely life-ending scenario.

Read your post again, but substitute "religion" for "science" every time it's said.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
16-12-2013, 02:29 PM
(16-12-2013 02:27 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  

WTF? LMAO

Science is a human endeavor so the concept of it sitting by itself on a shelf is nonsensical......in my opinion.

Read your post again, but substitute "religion" for "science".

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
16-12-2013, 02:33 PM
(16-12-2013 02:28 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Read your post again, but substitute "religion" for "science" every time it's said.
That could happen, too, but I think it's much less plausible. I can imagine, for example, a new religion arising with a doctrine that calls for committing suicide, for whatever reason, and somehow every human on earth adopts this new religion. Again, must less plausible than a super destructive weapon wiping out all of humanity coming to fruition, only through knowledge acquired through science, you'd agree?

"Everyone is alone. Everyone is empty. People no longer have need of others. You can always find a spare for any talent. Any relationship can be replaced. I had gotten bored of a world like that."
16-12-2013, 02:38 PM
(16-12-2013 02:33 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 02:28 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Read your post again, but substitute "religion" for "science" every time it's said.
That could happen, too, but I think it's much less plausible. I can imagine, for example, a new religion arising with a doctrine that calls for committing suicide, for whatever reason, and somehow every human on earth adopts this new religion. Again, must less plausible than a super destructive weapon wiping out all of humanity coming to fruition, only through knowledge acquired through science, you'd agree?

Sure, I'd agree. That's not my point, though. My point is that this argument from the get go has been a non sequitur. It's just silly.

Science isn't dangerous. Religion isn't dangerous. It's the idiots doing evil things through either religion or science that is dangerous.

~ Umberto Eco
16-12-2013, 02:49 PM
(16-12-2013 01:48 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 09:49 AM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  After all, if astronomers discover a big rock with our name on it, we might be bloody grateful for those weapons...

Not "if", "when".

I seem to remember reading that there is a likely hit in about the year 5000 or somewhere around d there.

I think we'll have to bury a time capsule, containing a small but powerful thermonuclear device, some basic instructions, and some kind of trebuchet...

Just in case we do annihilate ourselves before then...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-12-2013, 03:00 PM
Neither.

People are the dangerous ones.

It's like blaming a gun for killing a person.

Anything a human wields can be used for good or bad. It's up to the person... not the object.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
16-12-2013, 03:20 PM (This post was last modified: 16-12-2013 04:28 PM by ShirubaDangan.)
(16-12-2013 02:57 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(15-12-2013 05:34 AM)ShirubaDangan Wrote:  Religion hands down.

Now you are saying that this is the worst science has created. While its technology and science was used it doesn't tell us to kill people with it.

Let's look at the worst the Bible has to offer. Noah's flood. Even if it did not exist God still allowed it to be within his book which he placed full knowing it was a story of eradication and genocide. One that killed plenty and wasn't targeted only at human life but everything that lived around it.

Religion is worse than any armament or bomb we could ever create. It allows ignorant humans to use it as an excuse to use those bombs and weapons against others. Science can be used to heal and help others. Penicillin alone benefited humans I believe more than religion and is even swamped more by modern medicine. If you dislike science that much than I recommend selling your house, not using your car and use your God given feet that he supposedly intelligently designed for you as well as your body. Because this Earth with a large amount of unlivable space that occupies it was certainly made for you.

[Image: syrian-atheists.jpg]

Religion does ugly things and while I believe it has helped in making some of the most fantastic pieces of art it definitely is used as a weapon of war and I fear it much more than the atomic bombs that have been created. I'm not saying it has no benefits but the benefits it has given are largely insignificant to what science provides.

I'll leave a couple pictures and this video made by the Thinking Atheist. You will see the large contributions Science has given us while you can see the white Church bus that your all knowing, all powerful, deity has given us and we can compare the two.

Also, lastly, you say that science is dangerous and not evil. You are wrong. Science is not dangerous it is the humans who use it that make it so. I would say the same to religion but unfortunately for the fact that religion is used and does describe violence against other humans I believe I cannot do so. Humans who abuse science and use it for horrendous deeds are evil but a ignorant human brainwashed to believe blowing himself up and killing innocents is also evil as well as the doctrine that told him to do so. Science never tells you what to do with it. Religion demands at times to do that which is evil. So while science can be 'dangerous' I believe it is definitely religion which is far more dangerous and abusive than science ever is.

[Image: religion-war-cartoon-02.jpg]

[Image: religion-war.jpg]

[Image: polls_v3_5255_866427_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg]

You are conflating "better" with "dangerous". Science or religion can both be better and more dangerous.

This is completely and utterly false.

Let us see which is 'dangerous' then. Where the hell in science does it tell me to blow up abortion clinics? Tell me where in science it tells me to kill infidels. Tell me where in science there was a mass desolation of a vast amount of life that it demanded and caused because it simply wanted such a waste of life. Tell me where it supports slavery and killing children. Tell me where al of that is said within some supposed holy book that doesn't appear in science.

Humans who use science horribly are at fault because science does not tell you to do good or evil with it. So those who do horrific acts with it are evil people themselves.

Compare this to what religion does. It provides an excuse and disgusting acts against other humans which it tells its followers to act upon. It tells us to mutilate and cut people's hands.

Tell me where it says we should not provide condoms so we can continually spread AID's.

Or completely ridiculous rituals like oral circumcision which has killed toddlers.

Science is better in the terms of which it has provided and the list is endless in the good its given. You benefit yourself from all that 'dangerous' science you think it is while it is no more dangerous than anything else. It can be dangerous when humans who are despicable use it or some accident gone horribly wrong happens but with those two its never Science itself which demands it to be dangerous. You may be arguing things like the science of tornado's or hurricanes make it dangerous but if you believe God interferes with everything then God himself uses science evilly to commit atrocities on his own on this planet. Think about it for a second. If you think science is dangerous which it is not but if you think it is that makes your God dangerous because he obviously uses that to affect this world and in many ways negatively.

You are trying to make it seem science has some agenda or is somehow bad but it is not. We can thank it for living longer lives, seeing more children in this world with less complications at birth and using medicines which help us live healthy lives.

[Image: Science_a98188_1345254.jpg]

The fact science can be used for good and is used for good means it is a helpful thing. Humans can use it for bad things as I have reiterated time and time again which only makes those humans the ones who are truly dangerous.

[Image: science-vs-religion.jpg]

Science is just science I think in the end if we really wanted to know it would be neutral. Not bad or good but capable of being anything humans ever want it to be. You cannot believe science is dangerous on its own because if left alone like we did for ages it simply exists and doesn't tell us to maim each other. If you read other holy books or looked upon your own religion regardless it will definitely have dangerous things said within it. Especially if you read it like a fairy tale instead of true. It becomes much more ugly the more you know about it.

[Image: ReligionWar.jpg]

In the end I think more fortunate Christian's, Jews and Muslim's have come to ignore the horrible tales and commands in their holy books because humans began to realize that those were wrong. Things in God's holy books were wrong. You can see in less developed areas where religion is very much the cause of evil and is unfortunately definitely dangerous. I think religion can help people or give them a false sense of hope and I don't mind that.

What I do mind is knowing the truth and am against ugly deeds we do against other humans. Religion currently continues to harm humans even in first world countries with denying marriage to homosexuals or being against contraceptives.

For a belief system that ignores so much of its doctrine I believe its time to do away with those beliefs as well. I don't want religion to move away entirely but removing it from invading from people's personal lives and decisions is what I believe we should demand of it.

Even though Science created an atomic bomb it would never tell us to use it. What I fear is a religious nation capable of creating and launching one would believe it to be beneficial to their imaginary friend to literally evaporate hundreds of humans in a near instant flash. That is what is dangerous and that is what is scary.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
[+] 3 users Like ShirubaDangan's post
16-12-2013, 04:36 PM
Well.

That was stupid special.

"Godless science will DESTROY US ALL" goes back about as far as writing. So there's that.
(but when religion catches up to this let me know!)

[Image: 2009-09-22-caveman_science_fiction.jpg]

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
16-12-2013, 09:06 PM
(16-12-2013 02:49 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  I seem to remember reading that there is a likely hit in about the year 5000 or somewhere around d there.

I think we'll have to bury a time capsule, containing a small but powerful thermonuclear device, some basic instructions, and some kind of trebuchet...

Just in case we do annihilate ourselves before then...

It will be ironic if our species owes its continued existence to nuclear weapons.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post