Now I become death...the destroyer of worlds

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
16-12-2013, 09:12 PM
RE: Now I become death...the destroyer of worlds
(16-12-2013 01:59 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  A lot of people have this idea that everyone who lived in the Dark Ages was miserable. I think most people were generally happy and enjoyed life.

That's a fascinating notion. How many other reality checks have you bounced today?

(16-12-2013 01:59 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Suppose back in 1995 we blew ourselves up.....because science gave us the means. You could say that during humanity's existence, it experienced a certain amount of happiness. Now suppose there was no science and humanity lived on for another 50 million years. Would humanity have experienced more happiness? Just because science has helped you and people you know, doesn't necessarily mean it maximizes happiness. It could limit it.

Suppose a five-year old kid gets behind the wheel of her father's car and runs you down on the sidewalk. Do you blame the kid, the father or the car manufacturer?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
16-12-2013, 09:47 PM
Funny thing is, errors in science or in the application of science are corrected by rigorously applying the scientific method. It is by that method that mistakes are corrected and knowledge is improved. Improvements do not come to knowledge by referring back to dogma. Science self-corrects. Religion self-affirms. In religion, there is no mechanism for correction.

There is no "I" in "team" but there is a broken and mixed up "me."
17-12-2013, 04:25 AM
(16-12-2013 03:00 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Neither.

People are the dangerous ones.

It's like blaming a gun for killing a person.

Anything a human wields can be used for good or bad. It's up to the person... not the object.

I agree that blaming a gun for killing a person is like blaming spoons for making me fat.....but this thread isn't about assigning blame. We know for certain that guns, science, and religion will be misused by evil or ignorant people.
Guns give people a means to kill and it is perfectly valid to ask a question like ,"Is humanity better off because guns exist?". To answer that question we don't need to point out that guns will be misused....this is a given that everyone already knows.

Science and religion are human endeavors. Engaging in which of these human endeavors puts humanity at the most risk to a premature end knowing that the world is full of evil, ignorant/stupid people?
[+] 1 user Likes Heywood Jahblome's post
17-12-2013, 08:01 AM
(16-12-2013 03:00 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Neither.

People are the dangerous ones.

It's like blaming a gun for killing a person.

Anything a human wields can be used for good or bad. It's up to the person... not the object.
That reminds me of the NRA slogan "guns don't kill people, people kill people."
Which is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Clearly it is a lot easier to kill people using guns, than to kill people using bananas.
It makes no sense to blame inanimate object for anything. However, we can blame
both the killers as well as the people who provide them with weapons. Although
killers are the ones that are responsible for their deeds the most, the people
who aid them by providing them the weapons to do so cannot always wash their
hands in innocence.

However, the analogy between science and guns does not work very well.
Guns are designed mostly for killing. However, the goal of science is
to increase our knowledge, and ultimately to make us more healthy and make
our lives easier. The part of science that applies this knowledge to make
better weapons is only a very small part. To ban all science, to prevent
weapons from being made, would be to throw the baby out with the
bathwater. Besides, it does not seem possible to stop science and knowledge.
Governments distrust other governments, and if some governments use
science to create better defensive or offensive weapons, then other
governments will follow suit. So it really is more of a political problem, I think.
17-12-2013, 08:03 AM
(16-12-2013 02:27 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 02:14 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Cannot believe this thread goes on for 6 pages.

WTF? LMAO

Science in the hands of ______________________.
Science off sitting by itself on a shelf holds no danger whatsoever. Zip.

it's really not THAT complicated - is it?

Science is a human endeavor so the concept of it sitting by itself on a shelf is nonsensical......in my opinion.

Sorry - figured everyone would understand what I meant. LOL

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
17-12-2013, 11:00 AM
Blowjob, you don't know what you're talking about. Try taking a history class.
http://www.medieval-life.net/life_main.htm

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
17-12-2013, 11:35 AM
(16-12-2013 01:59 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  A lot of people have this idea that everyone who lived in the Dark Ages was miserable. I think most people were generally happy and enjoyed life. Sure there was misery....there is misery today...there will always be misery...but there will always be joy and happiness as well.

And what was the life expectancy in the middle ages?? Around 42 or so for men and younger for women (because more women died bearing children). Most children didn't survive beyond the age of 5.

Disease, infections and people routinely died of "consumption" (TB). Child/infant mortality was incredible during those days. Misery and superstition was a way of life for those who lived in that time. There are documents that some plague survivors were killed because they survived the plague and people believed they must be witches or at the very least unholy.

I guess happiness is a relative term because were people happy? I'm sure they had moments of happiness but really I think a better way to put it people were just trying to survive another day. That is completely different from making a blanket assertion that people were "happy and enjoyed life." Unless you're only counting those high within the "church" and royalty.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

17-12-2013, 11:43 AM
(15-12-2013 03:37 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Looks like I get to post this delightful image again.

[Image: h9E0E4437]

Stop trying to engage with Heywood. He is a simple, petty, attention whore and forum troll. He did not make this thread to start an honest discussion. He does not care for honest debate or discourse. He's firmly established himself as willfully ignorant and purposely obtuse. I imagine he gets off on this, so simply ignore him. He's not here to debate, he's here to get his ego flamed.

There is the potential here, the seed of an interesting question of a debate. But Heywood is not the person to attempt it, he's simply not honest enough. This thread is simply to rile us all up, and it's working. Stop engaging with his inanity, it'll save you a lot of trouble. You are never going to convince him otherwise, we all know that, and he knows that too.

The irony here being, that the above is engagement.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
17-12-2013, 11:48 AM
Did this post somehow disappear into cyberspace? How is it that the atheists here are going on about SCIENCE here? You are buying into BlowJob's STRAWMAN. He is using the word "science", but what he is talking about is TECHNOLOGY.

I don't need science to know that I can kill someone with a rock. The Scientific Method has only been used for a relatively SHORT period of time in human history. But in the meantime, before science, man invented all sorts of fun technology to destroy his brethren with.

Don't let this idiot get away with conflating TECHNOLOGY with SCIENCE.

(14-12-2013 08:14 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(14-12-2013 02:09 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  You are conflating good and evil with dangerous and harmless. This thread isn't about whether or not science is good(I think it is). This thread is about whether or not science is more dangerous than religion(again I think it is).

You motherfucking IDIOT, you are blathering about TECHNOLOGY and not SCIENCE.

SCIENCE is a systematic METHOD for gaining accurate INFORMATION, nothing more.

[Image: go-fuck-yourself-disney-with-a-vengeance....gif?w=480]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
17-12-2013, 11:55 AM
(17-12-2013 11:48 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Did this post somehow disappear into cyberspace? How is it that the atheists here are going on about SCIENCE here? You are buying into BlowJob's STRAWMAN. He is using the word "science", but what he is talking about is TECHNOLOGY.

I don't need science to know that I can kill someone with a rock. The Scientific Method has only been used for a relatively SHORT period of time in human history. But in the meantime, before science, man invented all sorts of fun technology to destroy his brethren with.

Don't let this idiot get away with conflating TECHNOLOGY with SCIENCE.

Eh. The two rather are inextricably linked.

Technology is impossible without the foundations of science. Proto-science though that may have been, through much of history - but experience-based iterative design, nonetheless...

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post