Now for something completely different

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
29-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Now for something completely different
I took part in something, and wanted to share it with you guys. The person who runs this charity asked me to write my story so she could put it on her site. It's not much, but here it is:

I'm an animal lover. Always have been, always will be. Dogs have always had that special spot in my heart, kind of like a mobster in an old movie that has a "standing reservation" at the little Italian restaurant on the corner. I have this kind of creepy dialogue in my head.

Maitre' d: Clear the table in the corner
Waiter: But The Cats are sitting there, and they just got their appetizers
Maitre' d: I like The Cats and all, but you're gonna have to move 'em to the table by the kitchen......The Dogs are here

So I see a message on Facebook from my good friends Sandra and Yness. They are looking for dog food to send up to the First Nations reserves that got evacuated. Turns out there were LOTS of dogs left behind with nothing to eat.

Clear the table in the corner.

So I say, "hell ya. I'll pitch in a bag of food!" Beside me sits my 14 year old daughter. No job, noone to babysit, no money for shoes, hairspray, or whatever else a 14 year old girl buys these days. She's got 20 bucks to her name. Without blinking, she say's, "hey dad, I've got some money. I'll buy a bag too!" Enough to make a grown man cry. So this teenager, who's supposed to be completely self absorbed and selfish wants to give me every penny she's got to help these dogs. Next time you want to stereo-type teenagers, come on over and meet my kid. You'll never see a more generous soul. It gets me to thinking; if she's willing to help out, I'm sure there's others. So I decide to make some calls.

Next thing I know, my dad and step-mom are not only offering to get a bag of food, they are giving me enough money to get a few! Next my mom and step-dad. They pitch in for a bag. So things are beginning to snowball. Here I am, heading to the local Best West pet foods here in Selkirk with a wad of money to buy dog food for these poor starving animals. I get there, and lo and behold, the clerk says, "hey, I'll pitch in a bag too". Minutes later, my step daughters dad shows up at the store. Guess what? HE buys a bag! At this point I am pretty much speechless. (Yep. Me. Speechless) So here I am, with six bags of food in the truck. I go home for the night, feeling pretty proud to be a part of such an awesome network of people. But it's not over yet.

Now those of you who know me are well aware of the fact that I'm not the most organized guy out there. I'm driving home with that drank-my-rootbeer-too-fast fuzzy feeling in my stomach, when it occurs to me that this food still needs to get up to the dogs that need it. So I look into Yness' Facebook comments a little less impulsively, and see that the organization heading up this project is the Manitoba Emergency Response for Animals (MERA). So after a few emails, I get in touch with Ciem. It takes a while, since she's been so busy feeding dogs, she hasn't even fed herself for the entire day. Wanna talk selfless? Meet Ciem. Turns out Ciem is headed to the reserve, and I can meet her on the way in Teulon to drop of this food I've collected. So there we meet, and I finally get to shake the hand of this woman who we all should be teaching our kids to follow as an example. But not before I get one last phone call. It's my mom. She's called my Aunt Tannis and Uncle Brent and they've pitched in for yet more food. Plus my cousins Carly and Aaron got in on the act!

So there I am with Ciem, in a parking lot in Teulon, asking her if she has just a few more minutes while I go buy more food. We decide to load her Jeep first, just to make sure there's room. Yep. No passengers, so we can pile some in the front. Enter the last player in our story of generosity. We head to the local Feed-Rite dealer just down the way. KalJent is where I go for my farm stuff, so they know me by name. We walk in, and buy our three bags, and walk out with four! Yessir, Jim at KalJent gave us yet another bag.

That's a total of ten bags of dog food. And we're not talking little bags either. These are the Big Boys. And so, away drives Ciem, after thanking me over and over. Telling me how kind and generous I am. And that's when it hits me; as I watch her drive away, just the top of her head showing above the dog food piled on her passenger seat, and just seconds too late.

She was thanking me.

We had it backwards. It was I who should have been thanking her. All this time I was thinking what a great guy I was for doing this. But it wasn't me. It was US. My family. My friends. Even the people I do business with. And most of all Ciem. In just over 17 hours, the people I care about saved the lives of these animals they would never see. Never know. Likely, they'd never even hear about again. For what? Because they care. They know that the things we do change the world around us, even when we can't see it. Thank you. I love you all.

Now clear the table in the corner.

James

Just for the record, most of the people that were involved with this are atheists. Who says charity comes from a church?

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
29-04-2011, 12:22 PM

RE: Now for something completely different
Well done. Smile
Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2011, 04:20 PM
That is really awesome ^.^ I'll repeat GassyKitten: Well done!

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
29-04-2011, 06:34 PM
Touching. Humans can do pretty crappy things at time, but it's stuff like this that reminds me we aren't all bad. I can give some money if they still need it(I, too, have that special soft place for dogs).

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
29-04-2011, 09:18 PM
That's really great of you to offer Ashley! Hopefully the evacuation will end soon, and we'll have enough for the dogs until then. If not, I'll keep you in mind.
Thank you.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
30-04-2011, 02:52 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2011 06:02 AM by Observer.)
You've just won the...
Positive atheism award!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=151]
The positive atheism award is given to the poster of a tread that proves atheism is a positive way of living. Your reputation was given a +1. Congratulations!

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
22-09-2011, 02:58 PM
This was done in the name of JUSTICE! Good work my comrade in JUSTICE! continue to do such acts for JUSTICE......and dogs.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
22-09-2011, 03:46 PM

Great story, Stark!

We are animal lovers too, 5 cats at the moment, saved from starvation in winter.

Put us down for $50 if you (they) need it. That is all we can afford at the moment.
Quote this message in a reply