Nuclear is the answer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2017, 04:35 PM
RE: Nuclear is the answer
Quote:Tell me this, how come we can't take the radioactive waste and recycle it by sucking it even drier? Is it just a matter of technology or is there some fundamental reason we can't?

Money.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2017, 07:58 PM
First of welcome!

I'm a little familiar with the Thorium process, but I thought that the powers that be didn't want to invest in the infrastructure required. I'd be interested in seeing what you have, if it doesn't tip your hand on the thesis, or compromise some security rules. I worked with nuclear materials in both the US Navy and in industry. No bombs, though.
06-02-2017, 09:06 PM
At work.

My blue collar understanding with Thorium is that it still needs small amounts of Uranium for sustained fission. Consider

The boy scout who tried to build his own reaction/tor was using the trace amounts of Thorium in some brands of smoke detectors. ....

Still , bring on the power of the atom! Thumbsup
06-02-2017, 09:33 PM
(06-02-2017 01:50 PM)SolutionNuclear Wrote:  Don't worry sadcryface, you will be quite safe. In fact, this reactor will be totally safe, will never explode never melt down...first of its kind, totally safe...enjoy the power.

Welcome to TTA.
The Titanic was unsinkable too. Be careful. Smartass
06-02-2017, 10:06 PM
(06-02-2017 09:06 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

My blue collar understanding with Thorium is that it still needs small amounts of Uranium for sustained fission. Consider

The boy scout who tried to build his own reaction/tor was using the trace amounts of Thorium in some brands of smoke detectors. ....

It wasn't a reactor per se, just a lot of Americium (not thorium) in one place, so quite radioactive on that account only. One place you do find thorium is in the cloth mantles in the old gas (naptha) fueled lanterns. The thorium glows incandescent white when heated. The mantles are radioactive, so don't eat them. That sort of lantern is rapidly becoming obsolete with the proliferation of LED lanterns.
06-02-2017, 10:13 PM
OP, when you start producing kaiju give me a yell, please.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
07-02-2017, 01:55 AM
G'day mate, and welcome to the forums. Smile

Nuclear energy interests me from the generation of electricity standpoint, particularly where I live in Australia—as we have one of the largest reserves of uranium in the world and the remote regions to securely store spent waste for centuries. And as you probably know, generating sufficient electricity for one person produces around only 30 grams of spent fuel each year, versus around 18kg of coal needed each day—and its atmospheric pollutants.

Unfortunately in Australia, we have a very vocal "NO uranium" lobby—and rely largely on dirty coal-fired generators. I'd be interested in discussing nuclear power generation—its pros and cons—later on in another thread.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
07-02-2017, 02:31 AM
Remember, once past warp 5, the universe is damaged.

[Image: YYKbdxJ.gif]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
07-02-2017, 05:31 AM
(06-02-2017 01:50 PM)SolutionNuclear Wrote:  
(06-02-2017 01:38 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  We have a nucler option now! Welcome. Thumbsup
Please dont trigger this nasty nuclear winter, id rather stick with global warming, k, thx, bye. Sadcryface

Don't worry sadcryface, you will be quite safe. In fact, this reactor will be totally safe, will never explode never melt down...first of its kind, totally safe...enjoy the power.

I'm sure that was the party line at Chernobyl too.........

Rule of thumb -- anything made, can break - and eventually will.

Welcome aboard.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
07-02-2017, 05:34 AM
(06-02-2017 10:06 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(06-02-2017 09:06 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

It wasn't a reactor per se, just a lot of Americium (not thorium) in one place, so quite radioactive on that account only. One place you do find thorium is in the cloth mantles in the old gas (naptha) fueled lanterns. The thorium glows incandescent white when heated. The mantles are radioactive, so don't eat them. That sort of lantern is rapidly becoming obsolete with the proliferation of LED lanterns.

I've got a collection of Coleman lanterns.... My oldest Coleman is 1948. I've also got older tabletops that were made in the early 1900's...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.