Number of the Beast

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2014, 03:01 PM
RE: Number of the Beast
I like 616 better because: 6+1+6 = 13. The well known bad luck number Evil_monster

It makes more sense, doesn't it?

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2014, 03:20 PM
I like it, 'cept for nastalgic reasons.
Find all posts by this user
12-11-2014, 03:31 PM
(12-11-2014 02:50 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(12-11-2014 10:09 AM)Gordon Blue Wrote:  Anyone else find it irritating when someone says how ominous it is that 6, 6 and 6 appear together in any 3 or more digit value, such as a price? Same goes for when 9, 1 and 1 appear together.

Yes, it is irritating. Total superstitious woo. The other one that gets me is when buildings don't have the 13th floor numbered - as if that means there really isn't a 13th floor. So not only is it superstitious woo, but even if there was truth in it, they are accomplishing nothing anyway.

Along the same lines, the composer Gustav Mahler played superstitious games with the numbering of his symphonies, but to no avail. Beethoven and Bruckner had died after completing 9 symphonies, and Mahler had known health issues, so he was worried. So for his next major work after the eighth symphony, he wrote a symphony/song cycle, and called it "Das Lied von der Erde" (no number). Then he wrote a "9th symphony" but joked that he was off the hook, because it was "really the 10th". Nevertheless, he died before he was able to complete his "10th symphony".
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
12-11-2014, 03:35 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2014 03:40 PM by The Polyglot Atheist.)
(12-11-2014 03:01 PM)KVron Wrote:  I like 616 better because: 6+1+6 = 13. The well known bad luck number Evil_monster

It makes more sense, doesn't it?

Here, the number 17 is the "bad luck" number.

Basically in Roman numbers it's written as XVII, which can be anagrammed as VIXI, which is Latin for "I lived" = I'm dead. lol

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
12-11-2014, 03:52 PM
Where is here? I haven't heard of that one before. VIXI. Great movie or book title!
12-11-2014, 05:10 PM
(12-11-2014 03:35 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Basically in Roman numbers it's written as XVII, which can be anagrammed as VIXI, which is Latin for "I lived" = I'm dead. lol

Wow, the contortions some people go through just to have a superstition, lol.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
12-11-2014, 05:32 PM
Ahah yeah, it does sound pretty contorted, according to Wikipedia there are other origins too. Here is Italy but, at least from my perspective, it's not really taken into account anymore, I'd say it's a traditional superstition thing.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
12-11-2014, 05:43 PM
(12-11-2014 01:17 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(12-11-2014 01:13 PM)pablo Wrote:  I often see the number 714.
When I check the time, store receipt, wherever.
It is no more or less ominous than any other set of numbers.
They only have meaning if I assign them meaning.
Unless your worship Quaaludes. Big Grin

Total number of home runs Babe Ruth hit during his career.

You might want to start looking at that field in Kansas to build a ball park Big Grin

Iowa...near my hometown - not Kansas - that was Dorothy and Toto.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat