Nuns think kids are shitty

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2014, 07:13 AM
RE: Nuns think kids are shitty
To be fair, Catholics themselves are expressing their outrage over this, at least I'm sure they will be. Let's go and have a look at the forum at catholic.com:

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.ph...1&t=887481

Oh. Just one post. Yet two pages on the Pope saying couples shouldn't replace kids with pets. Censored
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2014, 08:28 AM
I think what bothered me the most about this was the bodies of the eight-year olds. I can ~a l m o s t~ understand why bodies of newborns would be buried by the home - tragedies such as miscarriages or stillborns do occur. But eight-year olds? Were they soon-to-be mothers themselves? Spare children of the unwed mothers? Inconvenient spare children? This takes the whole thing up several notches on the ladder of depravity, IMO. IF the infant deaths could be explained, how do you explain the deaths of eight-year olds?

Disclaimer: I do not excuse any of the unnatural deaths, regardless of age.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
05-06-2014, 08:42 AM
(04-06-2014 07:02 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  ...yet the article I read said a lot of the women were forced to leave their kids there because they were single mothers....
That's one of the things that really gets me about this. Those nuns weren't capable of taking care of all those babies and kids, but apparently making a statement about the mothers' state of "sin" was a far more important consideration. Dodgy

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
05-06-2014, 07:11 PM
None needed but just more evidence how right Hitch was. Religion poisons everything. From the article in the Guardian:

"Do not say Catholic prayers over these dead children. Don't insult those who were in life despised and abused by you."

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree...lic-church

"You can stick your moral standards, because it's all a dirty lie" -Bon Scott
[+] 1 user Likes januarymick's post
05-06-2014, 08:08 PM
It may be too early to tell, but I think the catholic church will rely on an old coping trick of theirs to brush this aside. Namely, ignore the issue, and when public indignation becomes too much, play the persecution card.

Filthy, hypocritical, immoral, arrogant institution. They make me sick.

If you don't want a sarcastic answer, don't ask stupid questions. Drinking Beverage
07-06-2014, 10:33 AM
One problem with the Article is that it says

Quote:Conservative Catholic teaching at the time denied children of unmarried parents baptism and therefore burial in consecrated lands.

By saying that it is teaching would, to me, imply that they are refering to doctrine but the code of canon law from 1917 states that

Quote:Infants that have been abandoned and found shall be conditionally baptized, if after careful investigation there is no certainty about their Baptism. (Canon 749.)

Outside danger of death the infant may be licitly baptized, provided there is guarantee for the Catholic bringing up of the child, (1) if the parents or guardians, or at least one of them, consent, (2) if there are no parents, i. e. father or mother, nor grandfather or grandmother, nor guardians, or if they have lost the right to the child, or cannot in any way exercise that right. (Canon 750.)

Infants should be baptized as soon as possible. Pastors and preachers should often remind the faithful of this grave obligation. (Canon 770.)

The pastor should, carefully and without delay, enter into the records the name of the one baptized, the minister, parents and sponsors, date and place.
In the Baptism of illegitimate children the name of the mother is to be entered, if her motherhood is publicly known, or if she of her own accord demands this either in writing or before two witnesses. Also the name of the father, provided he himself demands it either in writing or before two witnesses, or if he be known from some public document. In all other cases the child should be entered as one whose father or parents are unknown. (Canon 777.)

Also according to one commentator

Quote:See @Josephine: she listened to "the original interview with Catherine Corless as it was aired on BBC radio and she herself has stated that after viewing all the documentation that has been kept from the Taum home, even speaking to the older residents of that region, there was nothing discovered or pointing to some conspiracy to murder the children - no foul play is what I believe she said. In truth the children died from various different causes, all documented properly in the children's records. I've done some more research. Here is where the real tragedy of this story comes to play - Many of the children died from diseases or malnutrition steaming from illness that spread quickly thru the home and claimed the lives of so many. The history records show that the City Council and the Home went back and forth for years, decades in debate. The nuns trying to get better facilities, more adequate water supplied into the home, more money and more help for the nuns that were charged in caring for these children. The records indicate time and again that the local people and the City Council voted against giving proper health care in hospital to the mother and children. Forcing them to be seen by a doctor at the home, when and if he could get there. So many went untreated for extended periods of time."

Of course how much can one trust an internet commentator.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
07-06-2014, 11:00 AM
(04-06-2014 12:28 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  Why is it Catholics have some kind of irresistible urge to mass murder people?

No sect of Christianity has ever had a problem with mass murder. Just ask the Native Americans. The U.S. was almost entirely Protestant until the Irish and Italians started coming over in the mid late 1800s.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
07-06-2014, 10:26 PM
The title could be reversed, but then it would make sense.
07-06-2014, 10:38 PM
(07-06-2014 10:33 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  One problem with the Article is that it says

Quote:Conservative Catholic teaching at the time denied children of unmarried parents baptism and therefore burial in consecrated lands.

By saying that it is teaching would, to me, imply that they are refering to doctrine but the code of canon law from 1917 states that

Quote:Infants that have been abandoned and found shall be conditionally baptized, if after careful investigation there is no certainty about their Baptism. (Canon 749.)

Outside danger of death the infant may be licitly baptized, provided there is guarantee for the Catholic bringing up of the child, (1) if the parents or guardians, or at least one of them, consent, (2) if there are no parents, i. e. father or mother, nor grandfather or grandmother, nor guardians, or if they have lost the right to the child, or cannot in any way exercise that right. (Canon 750.)

Infants should be baptized as soon as possible. Pastors and preachers should often remind the faithful of this grave obligation. (Canon 770.)

The pastor should, carefully and without delay, enter into the records the name of the one baptized, the minister, parents and sponsors, date and place.
In the Baptism of illegitimate children the name of the mother is to be entered, if her motherhood is publicly known, or if she of her own accord demands this either in writing or before two witnesses. Also the name of the father, provided he himself demands it either in writing or before two witnesses, or if he be known from some public document. In all other cases the child should be entered as one whose father or parents are unknown. (Canon 777.)

Also according to one commentator

Quote:See @Josephine: she listened to "the original interview with Catherine Corless as it was aired on BBC radio and she herself has stated that after viewing all the documentation that has been kept from the Taum home, even speaking to the older residents of that region, there was nothing discovered or pointing to some conspiracy to murder the children - no foul play is what I believe she said. In truth the children died from various different causes, all documented properly in the children's records. I've done some more research. Here is where the real tragedy of this story comes to play - Many of the children died from diseases or malnutrition steaming from illness that spread quickly thru the home and claimed the lives of so many. The history records show that the City Council and the Home went back and forth for years, decades in debate. The nuns trying to get better facilities, more adequate water supplied into the home, more money and more help for the nuns that were charged in caring for these children. The records indicate time and again that the local people and the City Council voted against giving proper health care in hospital to the mother and children. Forcing them to be seen by a doctor at the home, when and if he could get there. So many went untreated for extended periods of time."

Of course how much can one trust an internet commentator.

I heard her interviewed this morning, as well as some Irish commentators. The fact is the families of the young women who sent them to live in those "homes for the unwed" have to take some of the responsibility. Some people who grew up in those hell-holes are starting to talk. It's gonna get worse. Sounds like a lot of them wished they HAD been dead.

I never heard of anyone being denied baptism. Any child in danger of death would have been baptized.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
07-06-2014, 10:45 PM
Wow.
..just wow...

I have no words

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.