Nurse Bullied And Arrested By Cop On A Power Trip

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2017, 08:10 PM
RE: Nurse Bullied And Arrested By Cop On A Power Trip
(04-09-2017 09:38 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(04-09-2017 06:19 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Remember, he's unimpressed.

I get that you think I'm being hard on the guy, but I think he's full of shit here, not for his opinion, but for how it sways.

Fred just likes to be contrary. I don't think for a minute that he actually believes some of the shit he writes.

I really don't want to say what I think, because I'm sure it'd sting a little. I also think Fred knows where I'm coming from.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2017, 08:51 PM
Thumps

It's not a personal defect to say that the moral outrage here is not appropriately proportional when compared to all the injustices and tragedies we're barraged with. Most feel that's the wrong way to look at it but whatever.

And if my opinion sways it sways. I might feel one way then feel another. So what.
09-09-2017, 02:04 PM
Does anyone know if the truck driver is awake yet and what he says about this or his family?
10-09-2017, 04:59 AM
Okay, so they covered this on the Opening Arguments law podcast.

Long story short, the cops had good faith probable cause to detain the nurse. The manner in which he detained her certainly crossed the line. The law was on the nurse's side, a Supreme Court decision had ruled on this only a few years ago, so she was not obliged to draw blood without consent. So she won't have a case specifically for being illegally jailed, as she was released without charges within 24 hours. As for how she was handled, that's another matter entirely.

But yeah, in the US at least, you cannot have your blood drawn without your consent.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
10-09-2017, 06:20 AM
FBI opened a civil rights case it looks like. FBI Investigating Officer Who Arrested Nurse Alex Wubbels

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-09-2017, 06:31 AM
An arrest is by definition an act that demands complete submission from the victim. Nobody wants to be arrested. If you're saying it was, under the law at least, reasonable for the nurse to be detained, how else could the process possibly go?

My suspicion is that intellectually people think the police should have authority and be able to assert power over others (because if you don't why would police even exist) but when people see this power displayed they reject it emotionally.

Maybe if that emotional reaction was intellectualized the real debate would be if police should exist at all.
10-09-2017, 09:02 AM
(06-09-2017 08:51 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Thumps

It's not a personal defect to say that the moral outrage here is not appropriately proportional when compared to all the injustices and tragedies we're barraged with. Most feel that's the wrong way to look at it but whatever.

And if my opinion sways it sways. I might feel one way then feel another. So what.

We can be outraged by multiple things on a case by case basis.

[+] 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
10-09-2017, 09:17 AM
(10-09-2017 06:31 AM)ImFred Wrote:  Maybe if that emotional reaction was intellectualized the real debate would be if police should exist at all.

Rojava has plans to abolish their police force in about 6 years. I guess we will have to wait a little bit to see if its actually possible to make a country without a dedicated permanent law enforcement agency.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
10-09-2017, 09:31 AM
Maybe putting our pain in small things is a coping mechanism. Our hearts would be crushed if we didn't cherry pick what we agonize over. What about if we know what happened but there's no video? None of us has enough empathy to go around. Is it the story or does it fill a need?
10-09-2017, 10:11 AM
(10-09-2017 09:31 AM)ImFred Wrote:  Maybe putting our pain in small things is a coping mechanism. Our hearts would be crushed if we didn't cherry pick what we agonize over. What about if we know what happened but there's no video? None of us has enough empathy to go around. Is it the story or does it fill a need?

It's the story. All police abuses should be covered. Are you saying that these cops should be ignored?

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post