Nurse, are you a Christian, dear?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2014, 06:58 PM
RE: Nurse, are you a Christian, dear?
(09-08-2014 05:39 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  I have developed a response that could best be described as "fudging it." I simply reply, "I come from a long line of Methodists ministers and missionaries." That's true, and I never have to reveal my real orientation.

^^^
Top answer. Thumbsup

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
09-08-2014, 07:08 PM
For a long time and on rare occasion now I say - I was raised Catholic.

It's the truth. But not too much truth for people in a crisis situation to handle.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

Woofs hasn't changed my signature because of his banning.
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
09-08-2014, 07:26 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2014 09:37 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(09-08-2014 07:08 PM)Anjele Wrote:  For a long time and on rare occasion now I say - I was raised Catholic.

It's the truth. But not too much truth for people in a crisis situation to handle.

If I am cornered to pray I always opt for the restroom. If someone asks, I do as Angie does. I use my famous aunt the nun as a reference, or say how proud my Christian granny was of me, and say nothing about myself. It's none of their damn business.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating Yogi, CAAT-LY.
Living daily with the high tragedy of being #2 on Laramie Hirsch's ignore list.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
09-08-2014, 07:45 PM
Apart from the answers already given - which are excellent - the only thing I might possibly say if I wanted to do a tiny bit of boat rocking would be to say that "I do as God wills" or words to that effect...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
09-08-2014, 08:33 PM
Great advice! I may say "I'm actually a preacher's kid" and be done with it. Then if they ask further I can tell them he died when I was a child and stop the conversation - make them uncomfortable to be asking such personal questions. (And I wouldn't be lying). I like the "Go ahead" and stepping away when everyone wants to pray.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 3 users Like Nurse's post
09-08-2014, 08:37 PM
I guess you could say - ya'll go on and pray, I need to keep doing medicine.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
09-08-2014, 08:59 PM
(09-08-2014 08:37 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I guess you could say - ya'll go on and pray, I need to keep doing medicine.

HA! I love it! I am so not that person, but dealing with redneck patients - the more twang and colloquialisms thrown in makes them more comfortable. Bless their hearts.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
09-08-2014, 09:01 PM
(09-08-2014 08:59 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(09-08-2014 08:37 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I guess you could say - ya'll go on and pray, I need to keep doing medicine.

HA! I love it! I am so not that person, but dealing with redneck patients - the more twang and colloquialisms thrown in makes them more comfortable. Bless their hearts.

Yeah, I lived in the deep south for 20+ years - you learn the lingo. Tongue

When in Rome and all that.

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
09-08-2014, 09:08 PM
It did backfire on me once. I was talking to a patient who was a farmer and mentioned my time living on a farm as a child. He enjoyed fishing and deer hunting so I tried talking to him about dove "huntin'." I wasn't going to share that I hadn't done that since I was 15. "Ma'am, with all due respect. The dove is one of God's messengers in the Bible. I don't think it's right to shoot one of God's creatures." Facepalm

[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
09-08-2014, 09:09 PM
(09-08-2014 09:08 PM)Nurse Wrote:  It did backfire on me once. I was talking to a patient who was a farmer and mentioned my time living on a farm as a child. He enjoyed fishing and deer hunting so I tried talking to him about dove "huntin'." I wasn't going to share that I hadn't done that since I was 15. "Ma'am, with all due respect. The dove is one of God's messengers in the Bible. I don't think it's right to shoot one of God's creatures." Facepalm

There's one in every crowd. Tongue

At least he called you ma'am - how many syllables did he stretch it to?