Nurse, are you a Christian, dear?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2014, 09:35 PM
RE: Nurse, are you a Christian, dear?
(09-08-2014 09:09 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(09-08-2014 09:08 PM)Nurse Wrote:  It did backfire on me once. I was talking to a patient who was a farmer and mentioned my time living on a farm as a child. He enjoyed fishing and deer hunting so I tried talking to him about dove "huntin'." I wasn't going to share that I hadn't done that since I was 15. "Ma'am, with all due respect. The dove is one of God's messengers in the Bible. I don't think it's right to shoot one of God's creatures." Facepalm

There's one in every crowd. Tongue

At least he called you ma'am - how many syllables did he stretch it to?

Only two. But there was an h in messenger.

"I think one's feelings waste themselves in words; they ought all to be distilled into actions which bring results." - Florence Nightingale
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2014, 09:38 PM
(09-08-2014 09:35 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(09-08-2014 09:09 PM)Anjele Wrote:  There's one in every crowd. Tongue

At least he called you ma'am - how many syllables did he stretch it to?

Only two. But there was an h in messenger.

He needs to work on that. My granddaughter can draw ma'am out to about four syllables minimum.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
09-08-2014, 11:08 PM
(09-08-2014 09:38 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(09-08-2014 09:35 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Only two. But there was an h in messenger.

He needs to work on that. My granddaughter can draw ma'am out to about four syllables minimum.

Haha my sister told a story about a kid at her school who could draw 'crap' out into four syllables. It's a gift, y'all.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 2 users Like Colourcraze's post
10-08-2014, 12:10 AM
(09-08-2014 11:08 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  
(09-08-2014 09:38 PM)Anjele Wrote:  He needs to work on that. My granddaughter can draw ma'am out to about four syllables minimum.

Haha my sister told a story about a kid at her school who could draw 'crap' out into four syllables. It's a gift, y'all.

Ce-ra-ee-up...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
11-08-2014, 06:54 AM
(09-08-2014 03:25 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(09-08-2014 03:15 PM)morondog Wrote:  I'd just go with "I'm sorry, I believe religion is a very personal matter and I don't like to discuss it at my workplace"... or something along those lines.

That is almost word for word what my husband has said, 9x out of 10 the matter is dropped.

One family insisted that he too join hands with them and pray before an exam. He took a step back and told them to just go ahead.

He did some busywork, quietly seething they were wasting his time.

I agree with these, and is the approach I take. I do not like to lie, but will evade when necessary.

If I was in your situation I would come up with a few polite ways to say "I do not talk about religion with patients or their friends and family"
11-08-2014, 07:35 AM
I agree with the others I probably would evade but not lie.

I also live in south. I wonder what would happen if you said that you were a non believer? I imagine most would just say they will pray for you.

I think it comes down to how you say it. Some people have a knack for stating things in a matter of fact manner with an air of confidence that it isn't pushed. And are just able to brush off attempts for prayer without offending but also not giving any room to push it.

Maybe practice telling others you meet outside the hospital first.

Eventually people ( in general) need to hear others don't follow their path and the more people they meet who are kind and competent, the better.

Be excellent to each other and party on, Dudes!
11-08-2014, 01:02 PM
You're situation is unique, as you are dealing with people during the worst times of their lives. If I were you, I would just tell them what they need to hear in that moment to make them feel better. I know it must be hard to lie about who you are. It would kill me, but I think you did the right thing. Very compassionate and caring. This country needs more nurses like you.
[+] 1 user Likes CarlyRoxanne's post
11-08-2014, 04:32 PM
I think you made the best decision possible for being put on the spot like that. I would have likely done the same thing.

I typically back out with responses that have already been posted.

"I was raised Catholic."

"I don't discuss religion."

It always kills me when people "pray" for sick loved ones then give god the credit when medical science deserves the kudos. I understand why they do it, but of you really feel like your loved one pulling through was all on god, why didn't you leave them at home and pray there? Save yourself a hospital bill?

I'll climb off my horse now. You gave a very diplomatic response. Kudos!
11-08-2014, 09:55 PM
(10-08-2014 12:10 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(09-08-2014 11:08 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  Haha my sister told a story about a kid at her school who could draw 'crap' out into four syllables. It's a gift, y'all.

Ce-ra-ee-up...

Kah-rah-ya-pah?

The constant assertion of belief is an indication of fear."
~Jiddu Krishnamurti
11-08-2014, 10:03 PM
(11-08-2014 09:55 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(10-08-2014 12:10 AM)morondog Wrote:  Ce-ra-ee-up...

Kah-rah-ya-pah?

Sheeeiiiiiiiit Tongue

Your religion is nothing but a fairytale to me, and I will treat it as such.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post