Nurse, are you a Christian, dear?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2014, 10:25 PM
RE: Nurse, are you a Christian, dear?
(11-08-2014 01:02 PM)CarlyRoxanne Wrote:  You're situation is unique, as you are dealing with people during the worst times of their lives. If I were you, I would just tell them what they need to hear in that moment to make them feel better. I know it must be hard to lie about who you are. It would kill me, but I think you did the right thing. Very compassionate and caring. This country needs more nurses like you.

Thanks - I try my best with each person and try to put myself in their shoes. Religion definitely makes ethics in healthcare more difficult. Lying equated with compassion is tripping me up. It's one less thing for a Christian patient and their family to worry about - thinking their nurse is divinely inspired and praying for them, even if it makes me want to break something. My own background of religious brainwashing equates lying as wrong, period. I need to work on that my personal philosophies are undergoing some major editing. We are expected to be culturally sensitive - if I'm caring for a conscious Muslim who wants to try to get out of bed to pray umpteen times a day, I am to do my best to accommodate. If my patient is JW and needs a transfusion, I'm supposed to respect their decision, even if it costs them their life and they orphan their children. I do my best to present a front of no judgement at all times, I think I succeed most of the time... Although when people are being racist, mysogynistic, homophobic pricks, I usually can't keep the disgust off my face. Those fuckers do a pretty good job of making me hate mine.

(I typed this up earlier today and thankfully didn't hit post, responsibilities got in the way... There were 3 more rant paragraphs afterwords. I spared you all the melodrama and deleted them, so your welcome. Pretty sure it included how I should have been a stripper instead. Damn hormones)

"I think one's feelings waste themselves in words; they ought all to be distilled into actions which bring results." - Florence Nightingale
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
11-08-2014, 10:26 PM
(11-08-2014 10:03 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(11-08-2014 09:55 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Kah-rah-ya-pah?

Sheeeiiiiiiiit Tongue

[Image: tumblr_m26nvnNG5o1qkk10ro1_500.jpg]

The constant assertion of belief is an indication of fear."
~Jiddu Krishnamurti
11-08-2014, 10:30 PM
(11-08-2014 10:03 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(11-08-2014 09:55 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Kah-rah-ya-pah?

Sheeeiiiiiiiit Tongue

Gosh dernit

Ker rhaa hee yup

"I think one's feelings waste themselves in words; they ought all to be distilled into actions which bring results." - Florence Nightingale
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
11-08-2014, 10:31 PM
(11-08-2014 10:30 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(11-08-2014 10:03 PM)pablo Wrote:  Sheeeiiiiiiiit Tongue

Gosh dernit

Ker rhaa hee yup

I was close, my hick is a little rusty...

The constant assertion of belief is an indication of fear."
~Jiddu Krishnamurti
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
12-08-2014, 03:26 AM
(11-08-2014 10:30 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(11-08-2014 10:03 PM)pablo Wrote:  Sheeeiiiiiiiit Tongue

Gosh dernit

Ker rhaa hee yup

Perfect Big Grin

You oughtta just say that whenever somebody asks if you're a Christian!

"Carayeeup..... I gotta do this'ere thang right quick. Y'all go'n pray without me."

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 2 users Like Colourcraze's post
12-08-2014, 03:39 AM
(12-08-2014 03:26 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  
(11-08-2014 10:30 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Gosh dernit

Ker rhaa hee yup

Perfect Big Grin

You oughtta just say that whenever somebody asks if you're a Christian!

"Carayeeup..... I gotta do this'ere thang right quick. Y'all go'n pray without me."

Dark Light talks like this all the time Big Grin It's the perfect cover! Disguise your atheism by being a hill-billy Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
14-08-2014, 12:13 AM
When people start talking to nurses and doctors about the power of prayer while in a hospital offer to turn off the medical equipment and see how they would feel about it then. Test their faith.

In all seriousness though, I can't see how people can ACTUALLY think it makes a difference, I think it's just a coping mechanism so you don't have to sit there watching someone you love be at risk and feeling helpless to do anything about it.

That's just my personal musings on the subject though.
[+] 2 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
14-08-2014, 02:41 PM
Congrats on being a cardiac nurse. I have worked as a nurse in cardiology a number of years and I love it. I think you have been getting some great advice on this thread.

I am more honest when the patient is less critical- if they are just in for a scheduled ICD placement for example. Perhaps its because I am a Brit working in the US, but most people seem more curious than concerned if I say I don't believe in god. I avoid the word atheist, too many negative associated with that word unfortunately. I have had two patients shout at me that I need to "get right with god" though, so it does not always go well. Neither one requested a different nurse so I don't think it made that much difference and I finished my shift caring for them without further issues.

With more critical patients I tend to say "I am Catholic" and leave it at that. Most of the evangelicals around here think Catholics are heretics bound for hell anyway and the non-evangelicals don't seem to ask about staffs' religion. I actually did convert to being Catholic 20 years ago as a last ditch attempt to save my belief in god, but you can guess where than went.

I make no secret of being atheist among my colleagues and I don't get any crap (with 1, 2,3 or 4 syllables) about it. I recently completed my Master's in Population Health and was really up front about my atheism there. I actually had another nurse intentionally "out" herself in one of my classes which was awesome. I am now a care coordinator and have a circled A up over my computer in my office. When folks ask about it I explain that atheism helps me appreciate that life is fleeting and then gone forever. If we are going to do something worthwhile, if we are going to have a decent legacy, then we must do the right thing now. I mainly work with heart failure patients, many of whom don't have much time left. Knowing I am helping them have the chance to get the most out of their remaining days is what makes this job awesome.

I know what you mean about lying and I find it makes me uncomfortable, but so does causing more anxiety to a family at a difficult time. In these situations a (white?) lie seems to be the lesser of two evils.
[+] 2 users Like GodlessRN's post
15-08-2014, 08:51 PM
I appreciate the great advice! Welcome to TTA!

It makes me want to pin an "A" on my badge.

15-08-2014, 11:14 PM
...Late as usual, but wanted to say that I would've done the same thing in your shoes.

I've worked in nursing homes and as a medical assistant at our local hospital. I was slowly becoming an atheist near the end of my work at the hospital, so I know what your talking about. There is a time and place to discuss your beliefs and that certainly was not the time!!

You gave them comfort and they are none the wiser! Well done! Thumbsup

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain