Nurse doesn't want to be a nurse anymore

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2014, 04:57 PM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2014 05:06 PM by Nurse.)
Nurse doesn't want to be a nurse anymore
I'm done with nursing. I've tried home health, Emergency, and now ICU. I have no desire to work step-down, I had plenty of exposure to it in nursing school.

It has demoralized me to the point I don't recognize myself. I never thought it was possible for me to become this jaded person. I don't hate my patients (most of the time), I hate the work. Nursing has been robbed of its dignity. I just can't work in these conditions anymore. I don't want to be a nurse practitioner - they are frequently disrespected by physicians and patients, too. I hate my job in the ICU and there are a lot of parallels to the work done as a CRNA - Sure it pays well, but at what cost to me?

I need a new career.

For the past month I had been considering med school. I'm afraid of the years ahead not being able to see my son, and being broke until he graduated from high school. He's in kindergarten - that's a lot of life to miss.

I think I just need to leave healthcare altogether.

My aunt is a science teacher at an alternative school with court placed students. I've helped her lead fetal pig dissections in her classroom, I really enjoyed it. I've given a lecture at a mental health center about STDs - I love to teach. I titled my presentation "Happy VD Day" because it was on Valentine's Day. Science has always been my favorite subject. North Alabama has really great resources for science lab projects - I should know, I used to work for HASP at UAH when I was in high school as an early start student. I love teenagers, whereas many adults find them to be a pain in the ass. I'm afraid if I did nursing education my hatred for the field would shine through. I know a lot of teachers also get burned out, and that part kind of scares me. I don't want to be back in this place again.

I'm also considering mechanical engineering. Most of my family is involved in missile defense. I'm constantly coming up with new suggestions at work about how our equipment could be better, and I think I have what it takes to be successful. My alma mater has an excellent reputation for producing engineers, as well as engineering is one of the top industries for Huntsville. I don't know if I would enjoy the work as much, although when I did an engineering camp in high school I loved it. It certainly pays much better than education. Most of my mom's bosses make >$250K.

I am looking for a balance that will not just pay the bills but improve my QUALITY of life. I'm so lost.

If any of you have some words of wisdom, I could use it.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
10-10-2014, 05:02 PM
RE: Nurse doesn't want to be a nurse anymore
I'd start with a glass of wine, figure it out from there. Angel

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 6 users Like evenheathen's post
10-10-2014, 05:06 PM
A friend of mine from high school left nursing about 10 years ago because she got so tired of the BS. She missed the personal touch that drew her to the profession in the first place. (Her father was a small town doctor and her mother his nurse. And some siblings were also in medicine.)

She opened a quilting shop and is infinitely happier.

A good nurse is a wonderful thing! But an unhappy nurse should probably re-evaluate things a bit.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
10-10-2014, 05:08 PM
(10-10-2014 05:02 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I'd start with a glass of wine, figure it out from there. Angel

That's how I've been coping lately. It's not working anymore and has passed the point of being healthy.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
10-10-2014, 05:13 PM
You sound more like a people person Nurse which suggests that engineering isn't an ideal profession for you. At least more of a people person than most engineers are. One thing I hate about working as an engineer is that I never get to speak to other people.
10-10-2014, 05:18 PM
Hello,

Interestingly enough, every major romance in my life has been interested in health care. With my first going to school for pharmacy, my second desiring to be a nurse, and my third going into medical assisting. I've never been thrilled with the concept because I know it must be heart wrenching to go through what medical professionals go through, and I didn't necessarily want a life with a girl coming home being depressed over work all the time. But at the same time, I'm not controlling, so I say, if that's what you want to do then I will support you.

I think it's a tough job emotionally, technically, and academically. I think those that do it are highly underappreciated, especially when the blame is laid on the those without fault.

Anyways, I have no advice. Just words that kind of relate. I can't really imagine switching careers. It must be terrifying. But ultimately I think with any job it's a struggle between making enough money for your life plans and not being miserable while doing so.

I personally think teaching would be fulfilling. But I'm not certain I'd be good at it.

I say weigh potential job enjoyment with financial benefit with personal sacrifice to come up with something that works for you.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
10-10-2014, 05:23 PM
You need to step back for a bit. You need to get away, even if you just drive to a park for the day. The longer, the better. If you can grab your kid and go to a motel someplace pretty for a week...

You can't gain perspective while you are "living the life". You need to step outside to get an overview.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
10-10-2014, 05:25 PM
Oooh! Adrian mentioned pharmacy in his post, and I think that could be fun for you. You could likely use what schooling you've had toward getting qualified as a pharmacist, lots of sciency stuff, you are likely already very familiar with medications, and you'll still get to work with people, but hopefully in a less stressful way. I've heard being a pharmacist pays well.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
10-10-2014, 05:31 PM
Hug
Gonna PM my ideas.
I've seen this happen quite a few times. I really think nursing can be abusive, (not always). But you're on the right track. At least you know you have the brain to do whatever you want. My sister was never a nurse, but she loves engineering. Thumbsup

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
10-10-2014, 05:51 PM
I don't think I would enjoy pharmacy. Maybe I'm wrong, but i think of it like the sorta science/healthcare equivalent to accounting. I like projects. I don't really think of pharmacists as solving problems.

My last shift was Tuesday after working 4 in a row. I'm off through Tuesday so I have a little time to think.

Being a people person is what initially led me to nursing. The general public has pushed my limits.

Yes, nursing is abusive. HCAHPS has made it even worse. Abusive would be an EXCELLENT descriptor.