Nurse doesn't want to be a nurse anymore

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2014, 09:18 PM
RE: Nurse doesn't want to be a nurse anymore
(10-10-2014 08:50 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  here's my suggestions- get into teaching nursing students or others. you have a huge amount of experience to draw from.

a friend is starting to get worn out by the physical aspect of nursing. She is going into a medical IT program. Most hospitals are using digitized records which needs security, connectivity, etc. She understands the roles and can help make the systems work better. IIRC the programs is called HITS ? or something along those lines.

another friend moved into hospice nursing, not sure I could watch ALL of my patients die.

I got a letter in the mail today asking me to apply to a hospice job based on my experience. My last two shifts I had a patient that was dying and on CRRT. I got palliative care involved and worked on getting the patient transitioned to a DNR/DNI. It's one of the few times lately that I've felt like I actually got to "care" for a patient. I ended my shift disconnecting them from the CRRT and pushed them over to palliative care with their 16 family members. In a way it was hard to say goodbye, but I felt like I helped my patient towards dying more comfortably and getting the best out of his last few days. I could probably do hospice it if it weren't for the fact that most families in this area would want me to pray with them and talk about Jesus.

I also have an uncanny ability to be way too blunt, per my husband. He says I don't sugar coat things very well. Works great with critical care and ED. I'm worried I'm too jaded to care for people by doing counseling. Unless I were a sex therapist. That would be the best job ever. I would love to talk about sex all day. Just like I enjoy teaching patients and the community about STDs. It's fun, and interesting. I'm weird.

My aunt said last year for Halloween she turned her class into a "mad scientist laboratory" with dry ice. So fucking awesome.

I think I'm leaning towards science education. Especially with Mathilda's comment - I think I would be lonely.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Nurse's post
10-10-2014, 09:20 PM
Ok, I vote for sex therapist now. That's a job I've always wanted. Endlessly fascinating, and something a lot of people need help with.

Edit: Also, I think if you just go for the "therapist" title instead of psychologist that specializes in sexual disfunction there'd be a less grueling schooling requirement. You mentioned that was a reason you didn't want to go for full MD.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
10-10-2014, 10:35 PM
Hot science teacher! Yes please Yes

The only sad I have is... every highly qualified individual who leaves because the conditions are so shit... means there is one less awesome person in the health industry Sad Do nurses not have a union or something? It's seems to me to be counter-productive for hospitals to allow this kind of situation to continue - they're losing trained staff. And if they're losing someone as awesome as you that means that conditions are really terrible... which means everyone else isn't gonna want to stay either.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
10-10-2014, 10:47 PM
(10-10-2014 05:23 PM)Dom Wrote:  You need to step back for a bit. You need to get away, even if you just drive to a park for the day. The longer, the better. If you can grab your kid and go to a motel someplace pretty for a week...

You can't gain perspective while you are "living the life". You need to step outside to get an overview.

So much this.

Nurse, sending you hugs. Heart

Be true to yourself. Heart
10-10-2014, 11:14 PM
(10-10-2014 10:35 PM)morondog Wrote:  Hot science teacher! Yes please Yes

The only sad I have is... every highly qualified individual who leaves because the conditions are so shit... means there is one less awesome person in the health industry Sad Do nurses not have a union or something? It's seems to me to be counter-productive for hospitals to allow this kind of situation to continue - they're losing trained staff. And if they're losing someone as awesome as you that means that conditions are really terrible... which means everyone else isn't gonna want to stay either.

California has a nurse union. Their conditions are better. Most of the US has really crap conditions. Try mentioning union in this area and see if you have a job. There are so many responsibilities and impossible expectations that it's not difficult to fire someone you want gone.

Nurses are caught in the crosshairs of a political healthcare battle. I would highly discourage anyone from entering nursing right now. HCAHPS is a patient satisfaction survey that is aimed at decreasing hospital reimbursement based on patient satisfaction. It's a hospital, not the fucking Hilton. It rapes the reimbursement at hospitals by millions each year (my last hospital lost several million), forcing the hospitals to make huge budget cuts. So, they cut the nursing staff down to always being short staffed, lay off and never rehire nurse aids/unit secretaries/environmental services, and pass these jobs onto the already overwhelmed nurse. Not to mention, patients are getting sicker and more complicated and surviving thanks to medical advancements, and yet patient to nurse ratio is increasing. You have to chart immaculately for the purposes of reimbursement, going to court, ticking off boxes for the Joint Commission, etc. Then you get written up for not getting your charting completed in a timely fashion and working overtime. At my last job, they took 30 minutes out of my pay for lunches that I NEVER received, and then threatened me for complaining and told me it was my responsibility to relieve myself and ensure I received my lunch break. I don't count eating a cracker while simultaneously taking a piss as a break.

I'm not a customer service rep. I didn't sign up to be cursed at and smile and apologize that they are upset about something that I have no control over. And if you expect me to be, don't expect me to bring the meal trays in and out of rooms, carry out the laundry, empty the trash cans, enter in protocols and make my own judgements about what meds need to be ordered and administered and decide when to order and draw labs while it's not technically my job and then threaten me for practicing outside my scope despite expecting me to do it, chart intake/output and vital signs hourly within five minutes in a horrendous charting system, give bed baths, provide oral care every two hours with turning the patient, titrate my sometimes 12+ drips, participate in rounds, bring ice water/diet coke/coffee to patients and their 15 family members, put patients on bedpans or walk them and their 3 chest tubes/foley/9 drips/oxygen/cardiac monitor to the bathroom by myself so they can pass gas and not actually shit, manage their pain with a standard order of only 0.25 mg dilaudid every 3 hours, get yelled at by midlevels and doctors and be ready for procedures based on their time frames. The list goes on. We need secretaries and nurse aids. And for the doctors to put in their own damn orders and give better parameters, or not fuss when I order a lab at a time not to their liking.

Did I mention my patients are sick as fuck? So while I'm taking out the trash, I'm supposed to be monitoring my immunocompromised post heart-lung transplant for tiny changes that can signal life threatening emergencies such as cardiac tamponade. And if I miss it, I'll see the family in court. I wouldn't mind doing things like giving baths if I had help, but Jesus fucking Christ, one person can't do all this and provide high quality care and prevent ventilator acquired pneumonia and pressure ulcers and central line infections.

That was quite the rant. And I didn't even include anywhere near the problems. Like the times that I've been assaulted and pressing charges would have been futile and caused more paperwork that I didn't have time to complete.

Yes, it's a shame. I'm a damn good nurse. But I'm tired. And my back hurts.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
11-10-2014, 04:09 AM
(10-10-2014 11:14 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Yes, it's a shame. I'm a damn good nurse. But I'm tired. And my back hurts.

Sad I think you need to get out fast. Sorry that life sucks so much right now. It's retarded and ridiculous that someone like yourself who is passionate about doing a good job is being forced out by unendurable conditions such as you describe.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
11-10-2014, 04:16 AM
Have you considered becoming a veterinary nurse Nurse? Or even a Vet? You did mention going back to med school after all.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
11-10-2014, 07:12 AM
(11-10-2014 04:16 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Have you considered becoming a veterinary nurse Nurse? Or even a Vet? You did mention going back to med school after all.

Man, I'd give hubby's left arm to be a vet. Alas, when I was young and it was a possibility, I was also very stupid.

There are some pretty amazing veterinary hospitals. Being a nurse/vet tech in one of those would be a great job. And the patients don't complain nearly as much as their human counterparts.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
11-10-2014, 08:05 AM
Becoming a vet is a great suggestion, but I'd have too many restrictions. I am terribly allergic to horses (just standing outside of a horse barn causes my face to swell) and most cats. And I'm afraid of most dogs thanks to a childhood phobia from watching my cousin get attacked by the dog we were both petting. Excited, jumping dogs scare the crap out of me. Also, I don't do worms. Or deworm. Patients with worms are about the only thing that grosses me out so badly I nearly pass out. It's worse than dentures that have been left in for three days and neglected mouth care on a mouth breather.

I had a ton of pets. Besides the cows and chickens that I don't consider pets, I've had rabbits, scorpions, geckos, anoles, parakeets, baby quail, a robin we rescued (learned that abandoned baby animals tend to die), dogs, cats, and freshwater fish.

Our triops died a few months ago.

11-10-2014, 08:26 AM
I've compared the course of study for the various degrees in which I'm interested.Whether I do med school, engineering, or science education, I still have to start my first semester with the same classes and retake chem II, physics, and calculus because it's been 11 years.

While I would love to shadow my family at work to get a better feel for engineering, I don't think it's a possibility even to set foot on campus because I don't possess a security clearance. Mom has mentioned that I think similarly to some of the systems engineers, whatever that means. It's not like it's rocket science... Oh wait.. Consider

I think the difficulty for me comes with I'm working a job that many go into for personal fulfillment. Obviously, I'm not fulfilled. On one hand, I think I would enjoy teaching the most. We do fun science projects at home just for the hell of it, and to get our son excited about the world around him. The American education system has it's difficulties right now, and I'm not sure if it would affect me similarly to nursing. Engineering is more stable and pays well, even with defense budget cuts, and I have the aptitude for it.

[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post