Nurse doesn't want to be a nurse anymore

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2014, 08:40 AM
RE: Nurse doesn't want to be a nurse anymore
(11-10-2014 08:26 AM)Nurse Wrote:  I've compared the course of study for the various degrees in which I'm interested.Whether I do med school, engineering, or science education, I still have to start my first semester with the same classes and retake chem II, physics, and calculus because it's been 11 years.

While I would love to shadow my family at work to get a better feel for engineering, I don't think it's a possibility even to set foot on campus because I don't possess a security clearance. Mom has mentioned that I think similarly to some of the systems engineers, whatever that means. It's not like it's rocket science... Oh wait.. Consider

I think the difficulty for me comes with I'm working a job that many go into for personal fulfillment. Obviously, I'm not fulfilled. On one hand, I think I would enjoy teaching the most. We do fun science projects at home just for the hell of it, and to get our son excited about the world around him. The American education system has it's difficulties right now, and I'm not sure if it would affect me similarly to nursing. Engineering is more stable and pays well, even with defense budget cuts, and I have the aptitude for it.

Start a tutoring business?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2014, 09:19 AM
Hmm. Maybe I could do mechanical engineering and focus on biomedical. There's not a huge industry for it in Huntsville, but it would be a nice addition to Research Park if I managed to get a startup running. I've certainly had ideas for various equipment modifications and tools to assist nurses and patients.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
11-10-2014, 09:36 AM
I am a mechanical engineer. Got my degree in 95. So coming up on 20 years. It is not as exciting as it sounds. If you are a people person the work can be cold and impersonal. Engineers are not know for thier people skillls so even if you are on a project team it will be lacking. I am an introvert so spending time by myself is not a big deal. Having said that I have gotten tired of my profession. Because of financial commitments know as 3 kids changing direction now is out of the question. I think any career can burn a persons out after an extended period of time. Who really knows how they want to spend the rest of their life at 20?
11-10-2014, 09:53 AM
(11-10-2014 08:05 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Becoming a vet is a great suggestion, but I'd have too many restrictions. I am terribly allergic to horses (just standing outside of a horse barn causes my face to swell) and most cats. And I'm afraid of most dogs thanks to a childhood phobia from watching my cousin get attacked by the dog we were both petting. Excited, jumping dogs scare the crap out of me. Also, I don't do worms. Or deworm. Patients with worms are about the only thing that grosses me out so badly I nearly pass out. It's worse than dentures that have been left in for three days and neglected mouth care on a mouth breather.

I had a ton of pets. Besides the cows and chickens that I don't consider pets, I've had rabbits, scorpions, geckos, anoles, parakeets, baby quail, a robin we rescued (learned that abandoned baby animals tend to die), dogs, cats, and freshwater fish.

Our triops died a few months ago.

It's too bad you have so many things that make veterinary medicine nearly impossible. I remember a conversation I had with my dad when I told him that I thought it was pretty cool that he could diagnose animals when they couldn't talk to tell him what was wrong. He response has stayed with me for decades - he said, "Yeah, but they can't lie to you either."

He was pretty specialized in the care of cattle and hogs. He hated to work on horses because he had to work horses as a kid on the farm. And he was NOT a fan of cats - period! He did some work on dogs but only certain things for certain people. He was more into dealing with an animal as commodity and not a pet with all the emotions that come with that.

Course with cows, it wasn't unusual for one to poop into his overall pocket while he was shoulder-deep doing an exam...URP. Rainbow Vomit

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
11-10-2014, 10:37 AM
I have a friend who is the school nurse at the nursing school at of a local university. He dabbles in teaching, too, but loves the whole nursing thing with the kids.

How about something like that?

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
11-10-2014, 11:07 AM
(11-10-2014 09:36 AM)wazzel Wrote:  I am a mechanical engineer. Got my degree in 95. So coming up on 20 years. It is not as exciting as it sounds. If you are a people person the work can be cold and impersonal. Engineers are not know for thier people skillls so even if you are on a project team it will be lacking. I am an introvert so spending time by myself is not a big deal. Having said that I have gotten tired of my profession. Because of financial commitments know as 3 kids changing direction now is out of the question. I think any career can burn a persons out after an extended period of time. Who really knows how they want to spend the rest of their life at 20?

I was quite an introverted misanthropist in my younger years but have since grown in confidence and am starting to appreciate the presence of other humans to a certain extent. But I'm still stuck in a career which requires me to spend most of my working life alone behind a computer.

I especially hate conventional software engineering and am always struggling to find jobs which are more research based instead. Changing career is really difficult and I especially want to do something else when all I am doing is programming something pointless for someone else.

Unfortunately all the money is in software engineering. On the other hand at least I didn't have to go off to some far flung country to find work like most of my colleagues in academia. I've often thought about going back to university but most of the natural scientists end up programming as well.

I can't afford to restart my career all over again so that means branching out and using my existing skills. Since hitting 40 last month though I've suddenly started having more success with my applications to proper research jobs. I don't know if this is because they don't expect a 40 year old woman to have babies, or because you're still considered a newbie in research if you're under 40. I'm becoming slightly more optimistic that maybe my career is about to move onto the next step.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
11-10-2014, 11:15 AM
Just so you know i LOVE nurses.
They dont get paid enough & they do all the work. All the surgeries and babies and whatever it was always my nurses that took care of me.

Ive akways sent my nurses flowers or fruit trays as thank yous.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
11-10-2014, 01:56 PM
Have you considered labor and delivery? My sister is a L&D nurse and loves it, most of the time. She have been doing it for 20 years and does not plan on leaving the department.
11-10-2014, 02:45 PM
(11-10-2014 01:56 PM)wazzel Wrote:  Have you considered labor and delivery? My sister is a L&D nurse and loves it, most of the time. She have been doing it for 20 years and does not plan on leaving the department.

I don't want to get yelled at by laboring women and frantic fathers that ask how many weeks until the baby's eyes will open.

Last time I was over at the mother/baby unit I left in a panic attack. I had a traumatic experience as a laboring/post op mom. I tend to harbor resentment for women that talk about their easy labors. Probably not a good fit.

Just got off the phone with my brother. This was his input on engineering in Huntsville: "I hate what I do. I want out. I make weapons intended to kill brown people to steal oil and make rich white men even richer. If you work in Huntsville, you're going to make weapons. Yes biomed is up and coming, but you're going to have to uproot your family for school and a job." Dodgy "If you want my advice, you should be a science teacher. You're snarky enough to do well with teens. You're passionate. The good teachers don't burn out the same, I don't think you'd have the same problem. It would provide you with the quality of life you're looking for. Budget well, don't buy too much house, and you can still do vacations."
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
11-10-2014, 02:52 PM
I am an engineer and I no longer like what I do. I have been an oil company enabler (that would be offshore installation and construction) for most of my career. I really do not have good job advice, sorry. I do understand how you feel, more or less.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post