Nurse doesn't want to be a nurse anymore

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2014, 02:58 PM
RE: Nurse doesn't want to be a nurse anymore
I appreciate ALL of the advice. Very much. Thank you. The thoughts on engineering definitely have given me a lot to consider.

I'll keep you updated. I'm leaning towards science teacher.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
12-10-2014, 12:23 PM
(11-10-2014 02:58 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I appreciate ALL of the advice. Very much. Thank you. The thoughts on engineering definitely have given me a lot to consider.

I'll keep you updated. I'm leaning towards science teacher.

Maybe i should send YOU flowers.
Although i may not make up for years of neglect and lack of appreciation.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
17-10-2014, 09:04 PM
I was reading in another thread that JDog talked about his Dad surviving a heart attack. In that thread, your response made me wonder if you have considered moving into rehab nursing. It helps to see your patients recover to work so hard to regain skills they had at one time, or to rise to the challenges of illness/injury.

it was your words that made me think you might like it in that area.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
28-10-2014, 02:34 AM
I'm now on night shift - it's a completely different world. So far so good Smile

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
28-10-2014, 04:43 AM
(28-10-2014 02:34 AM)Nurse Wrote:  I'm now on night shift - it's a completely different world. So far so good Smile

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-10-2014, 03:39 PM
(28-10-2014 02:34 AM)Nurse Wrote:  I'm now on night shift - it's a completely different world. So far so good Smile

Just... Don't listen to Seth's newest podcast! Scary story about a nurse working the night shift Confused

Glad you like it better so far! Hug

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
28-10-2014, 03:52 PM
Ok - I haven't read the rest of this thread but if you are unhappy then maybe a change is necessary.

You mentioned teaching... I have to say, my favorite and most memorable high school teacher was my biology teacher. Like you, she was a former nurse who moved around in several nursing areas - I think her last position was surgical nurse.

She was great - she kept her classes interested, got us to think, and she had some cool stories from her nursing days. She was very up on the newest research in biology and exposed us to very early research in modern genetics... I'm talking 1977-'78. I think it was her own special interest and I'm pretty certain she went on to do genetic research.

You are in such a high stress profession so, whatever you do, make sure you don't let yourself get burnt out. When burnout rears it's ugly, jaded head, reassess and move on. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
30-10-2014, 08:32 AM
Have you considered maybe doing something on the side? I am kicking around opening a rental company for photography and video gear. There is none in town or either of the adjacent towns. I get off at 4 so I would have time to deal with clients. I know quite a few of the freelance photographers in the area so I have a small client base to tap into to start.
30-10-2014, 08:56 AM

Nights are, or can be difficult for some. Depends on if your family actually lets you sleep when you get home, and doesn't wake up for stupid things, and if you are able to actually sleep during the day. A few times (I just sit at tele now and then), but once in a while when there's someone extra they ask if someone wants to float into the Cath Lab ... (BTW have you thought of THAT ... ?? .. you could probably do that) or float into CCU and stay at night if they are short, and I have jumped at the chance. Nights (as you know) are a whole different ball game .. more time to be careful and talk to your nice patients, and put the rest to sleep Tongue ), far fewer whiney visitors. There's actually time to look back through all the alarms and look for anything that was missed. (A couple nurses have actually come to me and said "We love it when you're here, as we know you're really watching ... bla bla bla"). If you could do a Baylor schedule of nights, that might be a civilized option. One of my friends does Friday and Saturday (12 hour) nights, (and THAT"S IT). She has little kids, and her husband is home on the weekend, so she can sleep, (and then she has all week off, every week).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
31-10-2014, 10:29 PM
Sorry, I missed the last two posts because I was sleeping Tongue

I try to schedule three in a row, and I've been trying to keep to the night schedule on my off days, too. My husband lets me sleep, and my son is gone to school while I rest in the day. I drop him off in the morning and then my husband picks him up while I'm waking up in the afternoon.

Visitation is restricted at night to one visitor with the caveat "If you leave, you're not coming back in until tomorrow at 0900." That is an immense help. The patients that aren't intubated all have sleep med orders so they aren't constantly on their call buttons. I don't have to walk my postop patients twice each. And I don't have to spend the beginning of my shift in rounds.

You're right, I DO have time to think. It's a huge stress relief when I have time to actually process what is going on with my critically ill patients - I felt like days were dangerous for that very reason.

I'm getting to a slightly better place emotionally - I'm thinking if I can suck it up a year (my employer requires a one year minimum to provide a professional recommendation) I should still do CRNA school. 3 years max and I'd be done with school. If I can't stand THAT, a job that has a 6 digit starting salary, then I will pay off my school loans quickly and go back and teach. I think I can find environments where I'd be happy and things won't be so hostile. It may take leaving the south, but I'd be making enough income to afford leaving.

Wazzel - I have no business sense. None. Like I'd give everything away for free. I'm terrible at selling things - it makes me cringe. Marketing - ahhhh. I have no idea how to start one. Or what to start. Or where to get funds. I think I'm missing that part of my brain. Or I just need to be taught. Selling wrapping paper and candy bars from school taught me how to be embarrassed asking for money for shit people don't want. I'm way overthinking this. Unless it were a side business of people asking me - should I get a second opinion for this? No. Take your damn meds. If I had a lot of $$$ I'd start an overnight dialysis center with lavish hotel bedding and amenities.