Nursing Home Refuses CPR

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2013, 07:14 PM
RE: Nursing Home Refuses CPR
(04-03-2013 05:53 PM)Anjele Wrote:  But even as a private citizen you can stop and do CPR on someone in distress.
Yes, but as a professional, you have to pay the state its protection money in order to do business as a healthcare provider. After all, we can't have professionals going around saving lives without permission from the state.... someone could get hurt, don't you know.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2013, 08:23 PM
(04-03-2013 05:53 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(04-03-2013 05:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  In many states, it is illegal for them to give medical treatment unless it's a licensed nursing home or rehab facility.
Shouldn't stop any decent human being from doing it anyway. Undecided
As I see it, the person probably valued their job over the chance of saving an older person (who they may have seen as probably going to die soon anyway). I'm not excusing it, I think it's awful to just stand by while someone is dying, but I figure that's what is going on. Old people die all the time, this person may have thought she didn't want to go against policy (which is undoubtedly in place for liability reasons) and get in trouble. This is what policies like this do to people's priorities: the company is worried about getting sued if something goes wrong in a CPR attempt, the employee is worried about getting fired, meanwhile, people are lying on the floor dying.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-03-2013, 08:38 PM
Do we know what their DNR status was? Or on Hospice? That would make a huge difference on how they would respond. Though I suppose if they were on hospic they wouldnt be calling 911.....Id be curious to hear the details.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
Find all posts by this user
04-03-2013, 09:27 PM
From what they have been announcing on the radio it's company policy...DNR, or lack of, such doesn't come into play with this one.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
04-03-2013, 11:53 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2013 01:37 AM by Bucky Ball.)
The woman's family said they were satisfied with her care. Many people have DNR orders, and everyone knew when she moved there what the policy was. She lived in assisted living, not a nursing home. CNN is making a big who-ha out of a prior agreed upon treatment plan, that every one had signed off on a long time ago, as it sounds cruel. 1/2 the people there would file a law suit if they DID do CPR and they didn't want it. It's tempest in a tea pot. Actually the villan in the piece is the bitch on the phone who thought she would ignore the policies which everyone knew were in place. If they wanted her resuscitated they could have put her in a nursing home and discussed what were the available emergecy measures offered. My friend who is a 911 operator thinks she will be terminated shortly, or at least disciplined.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
05-03-2013, 08:07 AM
The family did NOT have a DNR on the woman, and CPR could have, and should have, been performed to save her life.

The 911 operator was not in the wrong, the entire point of a 911 operator is to dispatch emergency services. Bucky, my friend is a California Highway Patrol operator, and he said the exact opposite, that the 911 operator did everything she was trained to do, she dispatched emergency services and kept the people on the phone to attempt to help.

When the family doesn't have a DNR, and the woman had a probability of survival, cpr should have been done. Also, the nurse didn't even call 911, it was a random person with a cell phone and the nurse came on later. Take care of your fellow man....you never know when you'll be in this victims situation and need someone to resucitate you.

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"
05-03-2013, 08:25 AM
Only in 'Merica...
The land where 'getting sued' > 'saving a life'

The policy is stupid. She was a nurse and a HUMAN BEING, she must have known how fucking stupid that policy was in that situation.
Rather then risking the lawsuit and raising the issue of the fucking stupid policy she chose to sit on her ass and watch that old lady die.

I understand that what she and this "assisted living" (or should it be "we'll just sit back and take your money and do nothing when assistance is required to keep you living"?) place was entirely within the law. BUT there has to be a point where you put humanity above stupidity.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
05-03-2013, 01:46 PM
(05-03-2013 08:25 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Only in 'Merica...
The land where 'getting sued' > 'saving a life'

The policy is stupid. She was a nurse and a HUMAN BEING, she must have known how fucking stupid that policy was in that situation.
Rather then risking the lawsuit and raising the issue of the fucking stupid policy she chose to sit on her ass and watch that old lady die.

I understand that what she and this "assisted living" (or should it be "we'll just sit back and take your money and do nothing when assistance is required to keep you living"?) place was entirely within the law. BUT there has to be a point where you put humanity above stupidity.

Muffs, as someone who used to work at an assisted living facility I agree. Its mostly just a sit back and take your money business. However we were required to do cpr if someone was dying unless had DNR restrictions or were on hospice.

Which is why I find this situation odd. I feel like we arent being told something....

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
05-03-2013, 01:56 PM
As an example (one of many that I have) as to how these places are awful:

I was promoted from caregiver in the Memory Care unit to Activity Director in the M.C. unit at the facility I worked for. We cared for 18 people, each paying on average around $7,000 dollars a month for rent and care. Thats around $126,000 dollars a month from the residents in my unit alone.

My budget for a month of activities for all of them was $40 bucks. Nice huh? Bastards. One of many reasons I quit.

05-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Yip, there is a TON of money in retirement homes, and these nursing places and assisted living places.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]