Nursing Homes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2013, 08:16 AM
RE: Nursing Homes
(26-12-2013 06:44 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(26-12-2013 02:18 AM)Caveman Wrote:  Are you talking specifically about nursinghomes? Or also retirementhomes? Because if so:
You think no one that is in a home wants to be there?
Some just have problems taking care of themselves and need a hand.
Just because you had a few bad experiences doesn't mean homes don't bring joy to the lives of others and their families.

Who is saying that one should impose one's own will on others?

That is exactly what is wrong with the way things are.

Assisted living is a CHOICE!!!!!

In the US, there are states where you can get professional, medical assistance in suicide if you are terminally ill. There are also organizations that will help you accomplish a successful suicide in any state - they manage to stay within the law - google it long enough and you shall find.

Like here.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-12-2013, 08:22 AM
(26-12-2013 01:09 AM)f stop Wrote:  
(25-12-2013 01:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The legality of it is pretty much irrelevant dontcha think?

If you act alone and are successful then yes. But if you try it alone and fail then you are automatically considered bonkers and put on suicide watch.

If you want to enjoy life as long as possible then you probably be somewhat debilitated when you make your decision. If you enlist someone to assist you they will probably be discovered and charged with homicide. I don't want to put that on any loved one who might help me.

I might try the Go Bag, but here's my back up.
[Image: 327fedprojpic.jpg]

[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
26-12-2013, 08:26 AM
(25-12-2013 12:16 AM)f stop Wrote:  I find nursing homes to be terribly depressing. They are death row. New people arrive. Long time residents are suddenly gone. No one's having a good time. Over the past decade or so I've been exposed to several experiences of older loved ones in nursing homes.

I don't ever want to be in a nursing home. Hopefully I'll die before it happens.

Suicide seems to be the only alternative. I'm not talking about the act of a mentally deranged person. I'm not even talking about so-called "death with dignity." I'm talking about facing the inevitable fact that, if you live long enough, life will be cease to be a joy and will become a painful burden. Plan accordingly.

Right now in the United States there seems to be only one legal way to commit suicide: the "do not resuscitate" order. There's also the "living will" where you leave instructions to pull the plug if you are brain dead, but that's not really suicide.

To guard against the possibility that such a decision might be made because I am mentally incompetent I'm working on a list of events that would need to be met before I terminate myself. A list of things whose inevitable outcome is consignment to a nursing home. I need to do some research there. (A diagnosis of Alzheimer's would be one but my family does not have a history of that.) Drawing up such a list twenty to thirty years before the fact would insure that the act is not rash.

I did not intend for this to be political but it seems to me that self euthanasia by a non-psychotic person for good reasons should be a basic human right. Why should society have the right to keep you alive against your will when you are helpless, in pain, drugged and unable to do anything?

I realize that this post is not well written. Sorry for the rant.

I watched my mother slip into dementia that went on for some years. It was awful for everyone.

When she was in the early stages and aware of what was happening, she asked one of my brothers to kill her. He wouldn't do it as it was illegal.
Had we had physician-assisted suicide as an option, my mother would have chosen it.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
26-12-2013, 09:00 AM
Quote:24.Minnesota 609.215

Up to 15 years in prison and/or a fine up to $30,000 if suicide results; up to seven years in prison and/or a fine up to $14,000 if attempted suicide results.

Whaaaa? They are going to imprison the dead person for 15 years? And 7 years in prison for an unsuccessful suicide attempt is surely going to increase the will to live in the victim. Confused

Here is a site that helps: end of life counseling

Chas' mom got sucked into the system and had to spend the rest of her life suffering against her will. This does not have to happen to anyone today.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
26-12-2013, 09:43 AM
I worked in Alzheimer's care.

I will tell you right now that after having seen what they go through, how they die, and the kind of care they get....i wouldn't want to be around either.

I will also tell you for 'assisted living" situations..... If you can afford to take care of your parents, do it. Trust me.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
26-12-2013, 09:49 AM
(26-12-2013 09:43 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I worked in Alzheimer's care.

I will tell you right now that after having seen what they go through, how they die, and the kind of care they get....i wouldn't want to be around either.

I will also tell you for 'assisted living" situations..... If you can afford to take care of your parents, do it. Trust me.

My mom just died[1] in a nursing facility in Nov. Don't even get me started on Assisted Living and Nursing homes.......

I can't even.......

I've already begged my daughters that should I get difficult or dementia to just please poison my tea and put me out of my misery rather than plunk me somewhere in an expensive hole where I rot in my own fifth and slowly vanish in plain sight.

[1] my brother had POA and basically put our mom in a hole and left her to die. My mother died of dehydration.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
26-12-2013, 09:55 AM
(26-12-2013 09:49 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  

My mom just died[1] in a nursing facility in Nov. Don't even get me started on Assisted Living and Nursing homes.......

I can't even.......

I've already begged my daughters that should I get difficult or dementia to just please poison my tea and put me out of my misery rather than plunk me somewhere in an expensive hole where I rot in my own fifth and slowly vanish in plain sight.

[1] my brother had POA and basically put our mom in a hole and left her to die. My mother died of dehydration.

*Gives you a big hug*

I'm so sorry. Sad

Sadly they don't hire the people they should, and most of those facilities are out for money. A large portion of the people they hire are...undesirable (not to say there arent good staff, some people care very very much about the people they are trying to make comfortable in their twilight)

But usually "more expensive" just means hides problems better.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
26-12-2013, 10:01 AM
(26-12-2013 09:55 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(26-12-2013 09:49 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  My mom just died[1] in a nursing facility in Nov. Don't even get me started on Assisted Living and Nursing homes.......

I can't even.......

*Gives you a big hug*

I'm so sorry. Sad

Sadly they don't hire the people they should, and most of those facilities are out for money. A large portion of the people they hire are...undesirable (not to say there arent good staff, some people care very very much about the people they are trying to make comfortable in their twilight)

But usually "more expensive" just means hides problems better.

THIS ^^^^

(thanks for the hug. It was so horrible I can't really talk about it)

[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
26-12-2013, 10:28 AM
(26-12-2013 09:49 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  

I can't even.......

Hug Hug Hug Hug

But do find a better solution than leaving your kids responsible....

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
26-12-2013, 10:40 AM
(26-12-2013 10:28 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(26-12-2013 09:49 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  My mom just died[1] in a nursing facility in Nov. Don't even get me started on Assisted Living and Nursing homes.......

I can't even.......

Hug Hug Hug Hug

But do find a better solution than leaving your kids responsible....

I agree. I just worry that if I get dementia as badly as my mother did I won't have enough mind to off my own self. Don't mean to do this to my kids......just not sure how that's all gonna go down.
I suppose I could look for a hit-man in advance .... Sadcryface