Nye VS Ham copy-cats

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2014, 04:02 PM
Nye VS Ham copy-cats
So it's been, what, about a month since Bill Nye the Science Guy spent over an hour debating with Ken Ham of Answers in Genesis on Evolution being more true than Creationism, right?

Well, I was blundering around the gas station I'm employed at, pretending to do some real work, when I saw this flyer labeled, "Creation vs. Evolution." Luckily it was over with so I could freely rip it off the cork-board after I took the picture of it (which I put as an attachment). Clearly this is cashing in, so to speak, on the popularity that was that debate between Bill Nye and Ken Ham.

I didn't think of it until I saw that flyer but it seems like it would be a "brilliant" idea for churches to do. Set up a debate with an Atheist scholar (or something) and an apologist (or someone like that). The apologist would insist his "evidence" is much more logical than whatever scientific data the scholar would offer up and would assure the audience that God is real while trying to make the Atheists look stupid. Probably at the end of the debate, the pastor of the church hosting it would invite the audience to come to their church and hope for an increase in attendance. Or the pastor would just bring in an apologist to tell them it's all okay and God's controlling the whole wide world for over an hour and they'll remember it and want to come to that church.

Honestly, I feel I would be more interested in this event if it was an actual debate. It would be refreshing to see a well-recognized/educated Atheist in the Bible Belt sticking it to an apologist, I'd want to show my support for evolution and to hear any more comically stupid remarks the apologist would use to defend themselves with. But seeing that the poster only names the apologist (why would you listen to a butt?) and has listed among the talking points "the hoaxes of evolution" and "the fruits of atheism," it'd be more informing people that science proves god and he's all good amen! Even the free lunch couldn't draw me into that "educational weekend." I have a fairly loud inner fat kid so that's saying something.

So I guess my main question is do you/have you seen events similar to this pop up in your community? Y'know, something that you look at and know it's ripping off the Nye VS Ham debate. If you do, do you go to them? Would you go whether or not it was an actual debate on evolution and creationism?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

[Image: notagain.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Miss Suzanne's post
18-03-2014, 04:18 PM
RE: Nye VS Ham copy-cats
Oh, there is far worse coming. Kevin Sorbo, the actor who played Hercules, is in a new movie, "God's not Dead" which features a highly-stramanned version of an atheist college professor:

Josh Wheaton (Shane Harper), a freshman college student, enrolls in a philosophy class taught by an infamous and dictatorial professor. Professor Radisson (Kevin Sorbo) demands that all of his students must sign a declaration that "God is dead" in order to get a passing grade. Josh refuses and will go to any lengths to defend his belief in God, but he needs to take this class to meet his academic requirements. And so the professor strikes a bargain: Josh must defend his position that "God is Alive" in a series of debates with him in order to stay in the class. If he loses, he flunks. When Josh accepts the challenge, he gets more than he bargained for—jeopardizing his faith, his relationships, and even his future.

http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/

Real piece of shit.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
18-03-2014, 04:38 PM
(18-03-2014 04:18 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Oh, there is far worse coming. Kevin Sorbo, the actor who played Hercules, is in a new movie, "God's not Dead" which features a highly-stramanned version of an atheist college professor:

Josh Wheaton (Shane Harper), a freshman college student, enrolls in a philosophy class taught by an infamous and dictatorial professor. Professor Radisson (Kevin Sorbo) demands that all of his students must sign a declaration that "God is dead" in order to get a passing grade. Josh refuses and will go to any lengths to defend his belief in God, but he needs to take this class to meet his academic requirements. And so the professor strikes a bargain: Josh must defend his position that "God is Alive" in a series of debates with him in order to stay in the class. If he loses, he flunks. When Josh accepts the challenge, he gets more than he bargained for—jeopardizing his faith, his relationships, and even his future.

http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/

Real piece of shit.
Oh, god.Facepalm It reminds me of every heart felt inspirational speech I ever heard over the pulpit. And of course you gotta have at least one Duck Dynasty star in there to give the movie credibility Dodgy

18-03-2014, 04:42 PM
Even the xtard magazines are pointing out that the "professor" is an outrageously unrealistic straw man.

18-03-2014, 04:44 PM
(18-03-2014 04:42 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Even the xtard magazines are pointing out that the "professor" is an outrageously unrealistic straw man.

That's pretty bad when you can't even be convincing to some of your main critics.

18-03-2014, 04:48 PM
(18-03-2014 04:02 PM)Miss Suzanne Wrote:  So it's been, what, about a month since Bill Nye the Science Guy spent over an hour debating with Ken Ham of Answers in Genesis on Evolution being more true than Creationism, right?

Well, I was blundering around the gas station I'm employed at, pretending to do some real work, when I saw this flyer labeled, "Creation vs. Evolution." Luckily it was over with so I could freely rip it off the cork-board after I took the picture of it (which I put as an attachment). Clearly this is cashing in, so to speak, on the popularity that was that debate between Bill Nye and Ken Ham.

I didn't think of it until I saw that flyer but it seems like it would be a "brilliant" idea for churches to do. Set up a debate with an Atheist scholar (or something) and an apologist (or someone like that). The apologist would insist his "evidence" is much more logical than whatever scientific data the scholar would offer up and would assure the audience that God is real while trying to make the Atheists look stupid. Probably at the end of the debate, the pastor of the church hosting it would invite the audience to come to their church and hope for an increase in attendance. Or the pastor would just bring in an apologist to tell them it's all okay and God's controlling the whole wide world for over an hour and they'll remember it and want to come to that church.

Honestly, I feel I would be more interested in this event if it was an actual debate. It would be refreshing to see a well-recognized/educated Atheist in the Bible Belt sticking it to an apologist, I'd want to show my support for evolution and to hear any more comically stupid remarks the apologist would use to defend themselves with. But seeing that the poster only names the apologist (why would you listen to a butt?) and has listed among the talking points "the hoaxes of evolution" and "the fruits of atheism," it'd be more informing people that science proves god and he's all good amen! Even the free lunch couldn't draw me into that "educational weekend." I have a fairly loud inner fat kid so that's saying something.

So I guess my main question is do you/have you seen events similar to this pop up in your community? Y'know, something that you look at and know it's ripping off the Nye VS Ham debate. If you do, do you go to them? Would you go whether or not it was an actual debate on evolution and creationism?

I could easily see churches have such a debate, but the "evolutionist" would be a creationist ringer. The poor evidence would be preplanned, and rebuttals would be fabricated just to ensure that creationism wins.
It is all about keeping butts in the pews and money in the plates.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 2 users Like Jeffasaurus's post
18-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Yup

The whole thing reminds me of this fundy asshole who showed up in my college Ethics class and wanted to argue against the subject matter that the professor was teaching. The first day the prof starts breaking out a history of Greek philosophy and the sumbitch starts going on about how they violate his gawd's teachings or some such nonsense.

I imagine the prof had something to say to him after class. He was gone after two classes...

[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
18-03-2014, 04:51 PM
The reason why they had this is because people actually left creationism after this debate. That is right, more people started seeing the bs of creationism, and out of fear that the people who actually did stay would leave, they decided to have this. The problem is no the fact that people are leaving Christianity but creationism, which is where the money is at for them.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと
18-03-2014, 04:54 PM
Oh, and I did a quick search on this "Kyle Butt" guy, who was mentioned in your flyer. I found his listing in My New Favorite Website, The Encyclopaedia of American Loons:

http://americanloons.blogspot.com/2013/0...-butt.html

18-03-2014, 04:57 PM
(18-03-2014 04:48 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  I could easily see churches have such a debate, but the "evolutionist" would be a creationist ringer. The poor evidence would be preplanned, and rebuttals would be fabricated just to ensure that creationism wins.
It is all about keeping butts in the pews and money in the plates.

Probably. People can be pretty damn crafty when they want to stay superior or want something extremely bad in general.