O Canada!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2018, 11:49 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2018 12:17 PM by Vera.)
RE: O Canada!
(03-02-2018 02:24 PM)julep Wrote:  Not a fan of national anthems, mottos, or flags, frankly. The emotions around them seem so manufactured and convenient for people in power.

But at least the US national anthem tells a story and involves some suspense (will the flag still be there? be sure to tune in to the next stanza!).

In 1956, during the Cold War, the USA switched from the unofficial, but aspirational and inspirational, motto "e pluribus unum" (out of many, one) to the horrid "in god we trust."

O Canada is relatively easy to sing, so it sounds better in many perf

Yeah, not a fan of anthems and flags and the rest of the civilised symbols of our primitive tribalism. But hey, if you had to derive your worth as a human being from yourself and not an arbitrarily formed and supported group, you might actually have to put... I don't know, some effort into actually having some worth as a human being. Much easier to pick a label, any label, and appropriate whatever worth you believe it carries and bestows upon those who wear it (preferably, one that can be contrasted with an "other", inferior label, because we all know that true worth only comes in comparison with "others").

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
04-02-2018, 11:50 AM
(04-02-2018 11:25 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(04-02-2018 10:12 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  Roger Doucet was one of the best.

That was great. Opera singers do well when they sing national anthems. I don't read music so I don't know if the Canadian athem is one octave or two. Anyone know? I'm pretty sure the US anthem is two octaves which makes it harder to sing.

An opera singer I know told me that most of the time pop music is one octave, Broadway musicals and light operas are two octaves, and classical operas are three octaves and above. This is the difference between the three musical styles.

The Canadian anthem range is about an octave.

The US anthem is an octave plus a fifth (so a little more than an octave and a half), although if you take the high note on "free" and go up a fourth, like Houston did, it takes it to two octaves. Houston's version was set in Ab, a key one step lower than the more standard Bb, making it a better fit for her voice range.

Another difference between classical/opera and pop or Broadway is that over the larger range (not always as much as three octaves, but often) the voice is expected to sound relatively uniform throughout, which is hella hard to do.

A lot of pop is sung with a belt technique that doesn't work well in the high vocal ranges. The bigger reason for pop's more limited range is that it's frequently crafted by people without a bunch of formal vocal training, with the objective of being sung along to by people without any formal vocal training at all, so a limited melody range is a positive.

Our national anthem tune was originally a drinking song, and I would love to hear somebody interpret it that way sometime.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
04-02-2018, 12:08 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2018 01:03 PM by Szuchow.)
(03-02-2018 02:47 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  But the best national anthem by far is the French national anthem. No other national anthem comes close to La Marseillaise.

[Image: 3cd.png]

It's Soviet one that was/is most glorious. Shame about all that totalitarianism thing though.

Also a random fact - one of pre-final versions had words: my bjom ich (we beat them) which unfortunately sounded like my jobiom ich (that is we're fucking them). [S.S. Montefiore, Stalin. The Court of the Red Tsar, p.459 of Polish edition]

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
04-02-2018, 12:54 PM
(04-02-2018 11:49 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(03-02-2018 02:24 PM)julep Wrote:  Not a fan of national anthems, mottos, or flags, frankly. The emotions around them seem so manufactured and convenient for people in power.

But at least the US national anthem tells a story and involves some suspense (will the flag still be there? be sure to tune in to the next stanza!).

In 1956, during the Cold War, the USA switched from the unofficial, but aspirational and inspirational, motto "e pluribus unum" (out of many, one) to the horrid "in god we trust."

O Canada is relatively easy to sing, so it sounds better in many perf

Yeah, not a fan of anthems and flags and the rest of the civilised symbols of our primitive tribalism. But hey, if you had to derive your worth as a human being from yourself and not an arbitrarily formed and supported group, you might actually have to put... I don't know, some effort into actually having some worth as a human being. Much easier to pick a label, any label, and appropriate whatever worth you believe it carries and bestows upon those who wear it (preferably, one that can be contrasted with an "other", inferior label, because we all know that true worth only comes in comparison with "others").

Laugh out load That bird sounds just like me when I sing. Thumbsup

Yup, it's all tribal and it's not easy to erase. You can take the human out of the tribe but you can't take the tribe out of the human. .....er...something like that.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
04-02-2018, 12:59 PM
(04-02-2018 12:08 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(03-02-2018 02:47 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  But the best national anthem by far is the French national anthem. No other national anthem comes close to La Marseillaise.

[Image: 3cd.png]

It's Soviet one that was/is most glorious. Shame about all that totalitarianism thing though.

Also a random fact - one of pre-final versions had words: my bjom ich which unfortunately sounded like my jobiom ich. [S.S. Montefiore, Stalin. The Court of the Red Tsar, p.459 of Polish edition]

Um. Consider Maybe Americans should start learning the Russian national anthem.

Dodgy

[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
04-02-2018, 01:32 PM
When did you stop using "God Save the Queen"?

#sigh
04-02-2018, 01:44 PM
(04-02-2018 01:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  When did you stop using "God Save the Queen"?

When it occurred to one of the bright folk over there that God actually ain't gonna save the queens. Quite on the contrary Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
04-02-2018, 03:12 PM
I did always like "God Save the Queen" or at least the Sex Pistols version.
04-02-2018, 05:42 PM
(04-02-2018 01:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  When did you stop using "God Save the Queen"?

Technically, we didn't.

We have 2 national anthems. The "royal one" , "god save the queen" and "O Canada" the country one? Blink

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
04-02-2018, 06:02 PM
I wonder, would South Parks lyrics "Blame Canada" work with the "O Canada" tune?

Big Grin Naah, propably not. But it's fun to think about. My mother was Canadian and hated O Canada. I think they sang it much slower when she was a girl living in Canada making it sound more like a funeral dirge.

BTW. Love you Canadians. You're neat people. Thumbsup

[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post