O Canada!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2018, 08:17 AM
RE: O Canada!
(03-02-2018 09:33 AM)unsapien Wrote:  Thoughts? Anybody else have a national anthem or symbol of their country that they'd want to change?

In a perfect world, I'd like the US Pledge of Allegiance to revert back to it's pre-1950's version and remove the words "under god". Most people don't realize that most baby boomers are older than that version of the pledge. Still...

(03-02-2018 09:33 AM)unsapien Wrote:  What is most shocking to me is how many people I've talked to that are shittin' kittens over this. There are so many people really pissed about this, I just don't get it.

...this would totally happen if we did. Fox would present it as the biggest war on Christians ever. If you remove those two words, the non-Christian minority will start feeding the Christian majority to lions, I tell you. Lions!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
05-02-2018, 09:28 AM
(04-02-2018 11:50 AM)julep Wrote:  Another difference between classical/opera and pop or Broadway is that over the larger range (not always as much as three octaves, but often) the voice is expected to sound relatively uniform throughout, which is hella hard to do.

The opera singer I know told me that he could always sing with an operatic voice even when he was very young but his extensive training physically changed the vocal cords to where he can't sing any other style. He's black but he can't sing jazz or rock. It always sounds like an operatic voice. There have been several opera singers who have tried to cross over to a soft rock-pop sound but it just ends up being stupid.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
05-02-2018, 09:43 AM
(05-02-2018 09:28 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(04-02-2018 11:50 AM)julep Wrote:  Another difference between classical/opera and pop or Broadway is that over the larger range (not always as much as three octaves, but often) the voice is expected to sound relatively uniform throughout, which is hella hard to do.

The opera singer I know told me that he could always sing with an operatic voice even when he was very young but his extensive training physically changed the vocal cords to where he can't sing any other style. He's black but he can't sing jazz or rock. It always sounds like an operatic voice. There have been several opera singers who have tried to cross over to a soft rock-pop sound but it just ends up being stupid.

Some people manage it pretty well, but you do have to use your vocal cords differently and hold way, way back on the vibrato and often the volume. Not everybody's cords can adapt without strain, and if you want to keep your voice healthy you have to know your limits. Also you have to sing the words differently--more consonants, less "pure" vowels.

To be fair, the opera world has the same complaints in reverse when somebody like Beyonce sings Carmen, though.
05-02-2018, 11:00 AM
(05-02-2018 09:28 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  

Freddy Mercury being the exception that proves the rule?

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 2 users Like Reducetarian's post
05-02-2018, 06:48 PM
I like that we now have inclusive lyrics but couldn't care less otherwise. I can't remember the last time I sang O Canada.

(03-02-2018 09:33 AM)unsapien Wrote:  The only thing that annoys me about this is how it was done, the way it was run through the government in a very underhanded way.

It wasn't. That's more Conservative shrieking. There have been various different bills trying to achieve this for over a quarter century. This particular effort has been around since 2013. There have been countless committees, sub-committees, panels, consultations... I've lost track of how many different proposed lyrics there were.

The Bill passed the House of Commons with an overwhelming majority in 2016. Liberals, NDP, Green, and many of the Conservatives.

Despite that, it's been held up in the Senate for the last two years by a Conservative minority that's been using procedural delays and amendments to stall or kill it. That minority is the bunch that's whining that the majority of the Senators finally got sick of it and resorted to procedural tactics to cut debate "short". After two years I think that they were excessively patient.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
05-02-2018, 09:49 PM
Austria's National Anthem was written by Franz Joseph Haydn. Of course, he called it
"Gott Erhalte Franz den Kaiser" ( God Save Emperor Franz. )

Of course, it didn't fare so well when the Germans stole it.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
06-02-2018, 07:58 AM

[Image: barfly_condenados_pelo_vicio.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes BikerDude's post
06-02-2018, 08:43 AM
(06-02-2018 07:58 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  

Laugh out load Oh-yeah. Justin Trudeau is one hot PM. Drooling Looks like Ivanka was thinkin the same thing.

[Image: 58a32f28290000f616f26548.jpeg?ops=scalef..._noupscale]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
08-02-2018, 03:26 AM

[+] 1 user Likes RBMG's post
08-02-2018, 09:33 AM
(03-02-2018 02:47 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  But the best national anthem by far is the French national anthem. No other national anthem comes close to La Marseillaise.

Them's fighting words Wink

Wales - 'Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau'

[+] 3 users Like finite monkeys's post