Anyone here deal with this?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/31/health/ocd...?hpt=hp_t3

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-05-2014, 11:32 AM
RE: OCD and religion
Yes. :/

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
31-05-2014, 12:48 PM
I've been borderline OCD... Part of my hypochondriasis.

Its like a cycle of intrusive thoughts that build panic inside you, until you relent and perform whatever act you feel compelled to do, the panic subsides and then starts to build again, and so on.

I think I caught it early... I just dared myself not to give in to the feeling, nothing bad happened, and they started to get less and less.

With me it would be things like checking my pulse, temperature, checking all over for lumps... All of which I'd repeat every ten minutes or so.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-05-2014, 01:08 PM
(31-05-2014 12:48 PM)Sam Wrote:  I've been borderline OCD... Part of my hypochondriasis.

Its like a cycle of intrusive thoughts that build panic inside you, until you relent and perform whatever act you feel compelled to do, the panic subsides and then starts to build again, and so on.

I think I caught it early... I just dared myself not to give in to the feeling, nothing bad happened, and they started to get less and less.

With me it would be things like checking my pulse, temperature, checking all over for lumps... All of which I'd repeat every ten minutes or so.

The article paired those behaviors with thoughts of sin and going to hell, so if you didn't (for instance) check your pulse you would go to hell or be responsible for plane crashes, etc because you didn't do [behavior] right.

OCD is rough on its own, OCD paired with thoughts of hell , wow!

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
31-05-2014, 01:17 PM
(31-05-2014 01:08 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(31-05-2014 12:48 PM)Sam Wrote:  I've been borderline OCD... Part of my hypochondriasis.

The article paired those behaviors with thoughts of sin and going to hell, so if you didn't (for instance) check your pulse you would go to hell or be responsible for plane crashes, etc because you didn't do [behavior] right.

OCD is rough on its own, OCD paired with thoughts of hell , wow!

Its ritualistic behavior... So if religion is the fuel for it, then it'd be things like praying, fingering beads, crossing yourself etc.

All it takes is to believe something bad will happen if you don't perform whatever act it is... In my case I was convinced I would die of a horrible disease if I didn't constantly check myself for potential symptoms.

I think a lot of people who suffer with it know its irrational, but its easier to give in to the compulsion than face the fear itself... So its a vicious cycle.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-05-2014, 01:17 PM
Mine was the Hell thing.
I was never good enough, no matter what.
And hell being literally real... the terrors...
The Bible says to check yourself to make sure that you're in the faith. Check for sin, check for your disposition toward God, check your attitudes, your obedience to your authorities, including husband...
And then my suicidal tendencies. And of course suicide being a sin, and sin being punishable by hell, and that being even more and more depressing because it's eternity we're talking about...

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
[+] 3 users Like Charis's post
31-05-2014, 10:15 PM
(31-05-2014 01:17 PM)Charis Wrote:  Mine was the Hell thing.
The Bible says to check yourself to make sure that you're in the faith. Check for sin, check for your disposition toward God, check your attitudes, your obedience to your authorities, including husband...
And then my suicidal tendencies. And of course suicide being a sin, and sin being punishable by hell, and that being even more and more depressing because it's eternity we're talking about...

I have it although it has gotten a lot better now that I am older. I used to work up in the mountains on a lot of remote vacation homes doing finish carpentry and I would always worry that I had left something on that was going to cause a fire. That was my obsession, fire and worrying about hurting people accidentally. Many times I would have to drive up to 40 miles back up to a job site to make sure I didn't leave a light on or a heater.

I also have Tourette's Syndrome and it manifested when I was 7 years old around Christmas time. I had the rare form called Coprolalia which is uncontrollable cursing. This is what going to church was like for me when I was 7 and 8 years old:

preacher: And verily I say unto you.............

me: God damnit, god damit, I hate you god....

preacher: .......if you but had the faith of a mustard seed........

Me: No I don't hate you god.....god damnit, I hate you god........please don't send me to hell god.......god damnit, I hate you god, god damnit......

Preacher: .......and why do you try to pick the speck out of your neighbor's eye........

Me: God damnit, god damnit, god damint, I hate you god, god damnit.

I bet I uttered 100 god damnit's and 50 I hate you god's per Sunday and that is not counting the social hour that was just during the sermon.

I can look back and laugh about it now, knowing what caused it, but back then I was sure I was possessed. Of course I had to say all those curses real quiet under my breath so no one would hear me.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
31-05-2014, 10:37 PM
Yes, very annoying. Happens a lot in Evangelical Arminian circles. One of the reason I became a Lutheran for a while before becoming an atheist.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
31-05-2014, 10:42 PM

That story just makes me want to punch Paul in his damn stupid throat.

At the risk of being creepy internet dude...

Hug

I for one am bloody glad you are out of that silly religion and here with us.
[+] 4 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
31-05-2014, 10:58 PM
(31-05-2014 10:42 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  

That story just makes me want to punch Paul in his damn stupid throat.

At the risk of being creepy internet dude...

Hug

I for one am bloody glad you are out of that silly religion and here with us.
Who's Paul?

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor