OCD or just a bad habit?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-06-2014, 11:02 AM
RE: OCD or just a bad habit?
I'm hoping no one has sexually assaulted her. Kids don't really know how to express it. I'm hoping you consider professional councelling for her.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-06-2014, 02:48 PM
(21-06-2014 11:02 AM)Takelababy Wrote:  I'm hoping no one has sexually assaulted her. Kids don't really know how to express it. I'm hoping you consider professional councelling for her.

No, that isn't a concern.

I think it's more of a sensory issue and not completely stress related based on other behaviors, traits, conversations, and a bazillion other things.

She has some other quirky traits too, hypersensity to smell, migraines with vomiting at night (CVS) or clothes rules -she comes up with some crazy fashion rules (you cannot wear a skirt and put your hair in braids, they don't go together ever- I don't get it but she does).

Some of it is physical, like the smells, that there really isn't much that can be done, some physical can be treated- we finally figured out the migraines are due to dehydration and a drink of water or Gatorade at bedtime fixes it. Some of it is stuff she makes up that doesn't really matter much, like her fashion rules, but then some of it is stuff she comes up with that does create a problem, like the hands.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
21-06-2014, 03:08 PM
I do think a psychologist/psychiatrist visit would be a good idea here.

There may be some connection between these various things, and it may be possible to fix this early on and make sure it doesn't morph into something more serious.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
21-06-2014, 03:14 PM
I completely agree with Dom here.

I've got a lot of funky quirks like that too. Mine are a bit different, but I'd bet it's related.

She's doing some real harm to herself it sounds like. It can't hurt to try psychologist/psychiatrist. One that specializes in both kids and compulsive behaviors if possible.

Best of luck! Hug

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
21-06-2014, 04:47 PM
(20-06-2014 05:19 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  My 9 year old bites on her hands. You know how some people will bite off a hangnail? Well, she's got all the skin around all of her fingers nibbled down, and is pretty focused on the web area of the thumb on both hands.

Her hands are calloused, and in couple places raw.

It started about the beginning of the school year (last September), I have tried to redirect her to gum, now we are doing hand lotion with gloves to try to soften them up and to put a physical barrier there. I had asked her teacher about it (thinking she sees many kids and might have some ideas), but her reply was that she bites her nails too. Facepalm At school she was allowed to chew gum.

So now the school year is over, and she is still at it. I was hoping maybe it was just a stressful school year and once it was over the need wouldn't be there.

We do have our house on the market to sell, and we will be moving, changing schools, etc but she doesn't seem all that bothered by it as long as she can keep in touch with old friends (which she does thru text,face time, and play dates).

So when does a habit become OCD? Suggestions on how to manage this?

She needs to go to a pediatrician.
http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/child-ad...dolescents

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
21-06-2014, 11:22 PM
Could range from Autism or nervous habit to a bunch of other things. I'd get her checked out.