OCD

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2012, 01:35 PM
RE: OCD
I used to have tons of these absurd ticks.
One I still have is, that everything needs to be symetric. Like when I decorate or put things in a drawer etc. I am trying to get rid of this habit. Actually I like things that are a little less symetric but it just comes back every now and then. At least it doesn't stop my concentration anymore Big Grin

Also I used to have, and sometimes still have, a left-right tick. Like left and right side of the body have to be leveled. Like if I hold something with the left hand, I have to hold it with the right hand too, but I can't just hand it over to the other hand... Or I chew twice left then I have to chew twice right, etc etc. But it's not a lot anymore either, I am forcefully not doing it. For some time, to get rid of this, I forced myself to do things only with one hand, or to step on a crack on the street only with one foot...

I used to be pretty fucked up Big Grin

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-10-2012, 01:48 PM
I dunno if this counts, but i've memorized so many different sequences in video games that I can play some of them in my head. (the games not the sequences)

oh and I have a sequence of actions that I have to do on certain days and additional actions depending on the date (odd or even starts with 1,2,3 ends with 0-9 etc)

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
Find all posts by this user
30-10-2012, 01:51 PM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2012 02:05 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(30-10-2012 12:08 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 11:38 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  "balance", and "symmetry". That is what "beauty" is all about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabi-sabi

Is it, though? (mind you, my thesis paper was on beautyWink)

I think it is. My sense of beauty and order also, (just as the Japanese) is first and foremost empty space, and simplicity. Clutter is ugly to me. Beyond the simplicity even the arrangement of something disordered in not "non-beauty", because the simplicity is STILL there. The simplicity IS ordered beauty, until it's not seen by my brain as "cluttered". I was thinking of symmetrical in terms of bilateral symmetry of human forms.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

30-10-2012, 02:00 PM
(30-10-2012 01:51 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  ... My sense of beauty and order also, (Just as the Japanese) is first and foremost empty space, and simplicity. ...

Hey, Cheap?

Bucky gonna give you a hi 5.

30-10-2012, 02:04 PM
(30-10-2012 12:10 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 11:36 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I'm a counter. I count everything. If I spend three hours raking leaves, at the end I can tell you how many strokes I took with the rake.

I don't want to know how many strokes.

I want to know how many leaves.

Please count them for me next time. Thanks.

It's tough to explain, but basically, each stroke with the rake is an individual action, so it has to be counted. The leaves are in multiples with each rake stroke, so they don't need to be counted.

Another example is the potatoes. I don't count how many cubes of tater I have, I count how many times I cut. Some cuts yield several cubes, but that doesn't matter. I count what I'm doing, not the result of my actions.

Just visiting.

-SR
30-10-2012, 02:05 PM
(30-10-2012 02:04 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 12:10 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I don't want to know how many strokes.

I want to know how many leaves.

Please count them for me next time. Thanks.

It's tough to explain, but basically, each stroke with the rake is an individual action, so it has to be counted. The leaves are in multiples with each rake stroke, so they don't need to be counted.

Another example is the potatoes. I don't count how many cubes of tater I have, I count how many times I cut. Some cuts yield several cubes, but that doesn't matter. I count what I'm doing, not the result of my actions.

Do you count your hoots?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
30-10-2012, 02:11 PM
(30-10-2012 12:21 PM)Vera Wrote:  Just curious - if you forget to count while you're raking the leaves, do you scatter them all over the garden and start again? Consider

Depends on the situation. Sometimes.

I normally don't notice I'm counting something until I am well into the task, or, even more likely, i don't notice until i'm done. If i notice part way through, then I have to continue. If I don't start counting though, I am "safe", meaning I don't have to count at all.

Starting something over is only when I start to count then lose track or forget to count. This is very rare though. Most of the time I finish a task before I even realize that I've counted. I'll make the last cut, and realize its the 57th.

Just visiting.

-SR
30-10-2012, 02:11 PM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2012 02:15 PM by Vera.)
(30-10-2012 01:51 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 12:08 PM)Vera Wrote:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabi-sabi

Is it, though? (mind you, my thesis paper was on beautyWink)

I think it is. My sense of beauty and order also, (Just as the Japanese) is first and foremost empty space, and simplicity. Clutter is ugly to me. Beyond the simplicity even the arrangement of something disordered in not "non-beauty", because the simplicity is STILL there. The simplicity IS ordered beauty, until it's not seen by my brain as "cluttered". I was thinking of symmetrical in terms of bilateral symmetry of human forms.

balance and symmetry are not interchangeable with simplicity, though Smile (BTW, I'm totally with you about simplicity). Wabi-sabi is all about asymmetry and imperfection which, as it were, endow the object with a different type of beauty and this is an idea that for personal reasons is very close to me. I would think that simplicity is more about there not being anything extraneous and unnecessary than about order. (but that might be because I love me a bit of chaosWink)

Speaking of the bilateral symmetry of human forms reminds of an epi of QI (everything reminds me of QI, I'm beginning to think that all human knowledge is contained thereinWink) in which they were talking about how difficult (close to impossible) it would be to explain to a non-bilaterally symmetrical alien the idea of left and right....

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
30-10-2012, 02:14 PM
(30-10-2012 02:05 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 02:04 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  It's tough to explain, but basically, each stroke with the rake is an individual action, so it has to be counted. The leaves are in multiples with each rake stroke, so they don't need to be counted.

Do you count your hoots?

Haha, no. Hoots are too spaced out and sporadic. Interestingly though, weed really helps to let it go when I mess up. I count less often on weed too. Helps with the anxiety I guess, not that I'm really anxious by nature. In fact few things outside of counting bother me. Just my personality I guess.

Just visiting.

-SR
30-10-2012, 02:29 PM
(30-10-2012 01:35 PM)Leela Wrote:  I used to have tons of these absurd ticks.
One I still have is, that everything needs to be symetric. Like when I decorate or put things in a drawer etc. I am trying to get rid of this habit. Actually I like things that are a little less symetric but it just comes back every now and then. At least it doesn't stop my concentration anymore Big Grin

Also I used to have, and sometimes still have, a left-right tick. Like left and right side of the body have to be leveled. Like if I hold something with the left hand, I have to hold it with the right hand too, but I can't just hand it over to the other hand... Or I chew twice left then I have to chew twice right, etc etc. But it's not a lot anymore either, I am forcefully not doing it. For some time, to get rid of this, I forced myself to do things only with one hand, or to step on a crack on the street only with one foot...

I used to be pretty fucked up Big Grin

Didn't trying to only use one hand lead you to develop a new one where you could only use one hand and never the other ('cause I'm pretty sure this is what would've happened to me)? Not quite related, but I've had periods on my life (usually when under stress or mental fatigue), where I would confuse, so to speak my hands - eg. I'm holding a glass of water in my left hand and a piece of rubbish in the right and instead of throwing the piece of rubbish in the bin, I'd try to throw away the glass of water, while lifting the piece of rubbish to my mouth... Smile

(30-10-2012 01:48 PM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  I dunno if this counts, but i've memorized so many different sequences in video games that I can play some of them in my head. (the games not the sequences)

oh and I have a sequence of actions that I have to do on certain days and additional actions depending on the date (odd or even starts with 1,2,3 ends with 0-9 etc)

I think the first one is more like a repetitive task problem (I think there's a name or something, they discovered it around the time of the first conveyor-belt type of jobs, when workers would get something quite similar to hallucinations - the task would play over and over in their minds; happens to me, too, if I play a computer game for too long).

The second one sounds quite OCD to me.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."