OCD

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2012, 02:29 PM
RE: OCD
(30-10-2012 02:00 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 01:51 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  ... My sense of beauty and order also, (Just as the Japanese) is first and foremost empty space, and simplicity. ...

Hey, Cheap?

Bucky gonna give you a hi 5.

*misses but smacks DLJ in the ear*

Oh well.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
30-10-2012, 02:32 PM
(30-10-2012 02:11 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 12:21 PM)Vera Wrote:  Just curious - if you forget to count while you're raking the leaves, do you scatter them all over the garden and start again? Consider

Depends on the situation. Sometimes.

I normally don't notice I'm counting something until I am well into the task, or, even more likely, i don't notice until i'm done. If i notice part way through, then I have to continue. If I don't start counting though, I am "safe", meaning I don't have to count at all.

Starting something over is only when I start to count then lose track or forget to count. This is very rare though. Most of the time I finish a task before I even realize that I've counted. I'll make the last cut, and realize its the 57th.

That's quite interesting that they are so subconscious; I wonder if this means they will be easier or more difficult to get rid of...

Pot must definitely help, though; same with booze... (and to think that less than two years ago I didn't really drink...)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
30-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Booze actually made it way worse for me. That's mostly why I don't drink. That and my wife being an alcoholic kinda just swept booze right off the table for me.

I don't use weed as a medication for it either though. I've never smoked to ease the urge to count. Not sure why. I guess the counting just doesn't bother me often. I just tune it out. Weird huh? I've also never really considered getting rid of it. It's just in my head. A part of me. Learning to be a schizophrenic who doesn't take meds for it really requires learning to just accept things about yourself. Maybe that's why I roll with the counting so easily?

Just visiting.

-SR
30-10-2012, 03:08 PM
(30-10-2012 02:58 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Booze actually made it way worse for me. That's mostly why I don't drink. That and my wife being an alcoholic kinda just swept booze right off the table for me.

I don't use weed as a medication for it either though. I've never smoked to ease the urge to count. Not sure why. I guess the counting just doesn't bother me often. I just tune it out. Weird huh? I've also never really considered getting rid of it. It's just in my head. A part of me. Learning to be a schizophrenic who doesn't take meds for it really requires learning to just accept things about yourself. Maybe that's why I roll with the counting so easily?

Nah, I didn't mean doing it in order to relieve the compulsions (though I think that might be too strong a word in your case... you guys should definitely introduce diminutives in EnglishWink), just a side effect, as it causes general relaxation (or so I'm told; never smoked enough to actually feel any effect myself). Just like alcohol (sorry I brought it up, had no idea; I've had plenty not so good experiences with people around me and alcohol... which is actually why I didn't drink until recently... and then I realised that when it comes to substances I do not have an obsessive personality)..

Are you really schizophrenic? Can schizophrenia be handled without meds or does it depend on the severity of the case? (Sorry, I'm being quite nosy, I know... you can tell me to bugger off, if you wantSmile)

30-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Without going into too much detail....yes, I am a schiz, and no, I don't take medication for it. My primary manifestation is auditory hallucinations, mainly people talking. It's not a "voices in my head" scenario, since I rarely confuse those sounds with real ones. I know the voices that I hear, and know they are hallucinations. Mostly it sounds like a crowd of people. Just a general din, where you'd have to concentrate to hear the actual words.

The whole counting thing is very likely tied to the schizophrenia. Because I don't feel a whole lot of emotion, I find it pretty easy to look at my situation, and assess whether my quality of life is acceptable. Right now, my life is great, and has been since I stopped meds, so it's how I'll stay. If that quality drops, I'll consider other alternatives. At the moment, my symptoms are "acceptable".

Don't worry bout the booze thing. It doesn't upset me to talk about that in the least. I am proud to say my wife hasn't had a drop for three years next month!

Just visiting.

-SR
30-10-2012, 03:52 PM
(30-10-2012 03:22 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Without going into too much detail....yes, I am a schiz, and no, I don't take medication for it. My primary manifestation is auditory hallucinations, mainly people talking. It's not a "voices in my head" scenario, since I rarely confuse those sounds with real ones. I know the voices that I hear, and know they are hallucinations. Mostly it sounds like a crowd of people. Just a general din, where you'd have to concentrate to hear the actual words.

The whole counting thing is very likely tied to the schizophrenia. Because I don't feel a whole lot of emotion, I find it pretty easy to look at my situation, and assess whether my quality of life is acceptable. Right now, my life is great, and has been since I stopped meds, so it's how I'll stay. If that quality drops, I'll consider other alternatives. At the moment, my symptoms are "acceptable".

Don't worry bout the booze thing. It doesn't upset me to talk about that in the least. I am proud to say my wife hasn't had a drop for three years next month!

That's great that you can live without meds. I'm sure the hallucinations cannot be too pleasant, but the side-effects of psych drugs are often so much worse (which I was why I've never seriously considered getting on any sort of medication; my brain may be fucked up in some ways, but I don't want to fuck it up even worse).

Good for you wife, too; couldn't have been easy, I'm guessing.

30-10-2012, 04:38 PM
(30-10-2012 02:29 PM)Vera Wrote:  Didn't trying to only use one hand lead you to develop a new one where you could only use one hand and never the other ('cause I'm pretty sure this is what would've happened to me)? ...
No, it didn't at all. My brain tried tricks on me though Big Grin And I did it subconsciously at times, but the more I paid attention to it, the more I could get rid of it.
Actually after my hospital time and reading a lot about psychology I got well aware that it was OCD and it was dictating my live (I had tons of these kind of ticks). So I targeted them one by one and got rid of them.
So still, when I am under a lot of stress or when I have a depressive day, I will still have this OCD shine through. But it is way less intense nowadays Smile

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-10-2012, 04:57 PM
(30-10-2012 02:32 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 02:11 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Depends on the situation. Sometimes.

I normally don't notice I'm counting something until I am well into the task, or, even more likely, i don't notice until i'm done. If i notice part way through, then I have to continue. If I don't start counting though, I am "safe", meaning I don't have to count at all.

Starting something over is only when I start to count then lose track or forget to count. This is very rare though. Most of the time I finish a task before I even realize that I've counted. I'll make the last cut, and realize its the 57th.

That's quite interesting that they are so subconscious; I wonder if this means they will be easier or more difficult to get rid of...

Pot must definitely help, though; same with booze... (and to think that less than two years ago I didn't really drink...)

You must've been really thirsty.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
30-10-2012, 05:06 PM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2012 05:11 PM by Dark Light.)
I really don't know if it's OCD or not, certainly not too serious, or diagnosed (It doesn't bother me as much as it used to, but it still does to a degree) I cannot stand for thing to be out of balance. Things need to be even on both sides. It can be anything really, but to give an example I have two stacks of ice trays in the freezer. If one gets emptied, I wash it, but then I have to use enough ice to empty another one so the stacks will be the same height. It it is more visual balance, or spatial balance than anything else.

EDIT: Just read other posts. This seems to be pretty common Consider

30-10-2012, 05:21 PM
(30-10-2012 04:57 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  You must've been really thirsty.

Yep, had a lot of catching up to do... on a lot of things. Thank god for Rio, is what I'm saying... Cool

(30-10-2012 05:06 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I really don't know if it's OCD or not, certainly not too serious, or diagnosed (It doesn't bother me as much as it used to, but it still does to a degree) I cannot stand for thing to be out of balance. Things need to be even on both sides. It can be anything really, but to give an example I have two stacks of ice trays in the freezer. If one gets emptied, I wash it, but then I have to use enough ice to empty another one so the stacks will be the same height. It it is more visual balance, or spatial balance than anything else.

Whenever I'm taking pills from a blister pack, I make patterns out of the empty/full slots. But, to be fair, that's just for fun...

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post