OCD

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2012, 11:54 PM
RE: OCD
(30-10-2012 10:32 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 10:28 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I will confess to the least embarrassing one I have...

I can't start work if I haven't had an orgasm!

If I'm running late, this has been known to make taxi drivers very angry.

Have you considered you may be suffering from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperlibido and not OCD? Cool

Nah, he's just suffering from DLJ Syndrome. lol

(And "suffering" may be too strong a word)

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-10-2012, 01:55 AM
(30-10-2012 11:54 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 10:32 AM)Vera Wrote:  Have you considered you may be suffering from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperlibido and not OCD? Cool

Nah, he's just suffering from DLJ Syndrome. lol

(And "suffering" may be too strong a word)

Maybe not him, but I'm starting to think that those around him may not be so fortunate...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
31-10-2012, 02:29 AM
(30-10-2012 04:38 PM)Leela Wrote:  No, it didn't at all. My brain tried tricks on me though Big Grin And I did it subconsciously at times, but the more I paid attention to it, the more I could get rid of it.
Actually after my hospital time and reading a lot about psychology I got well aware that it was OCD and it was dictating my live (I had tons of these kind of ticks). So I targeted them one by one and got rid of them.
So still, when I am under a lot of stress or when I have a depressive day, I will still have this OCD shine through. But it is way less intense nowadays Smile

Yeah, thank god for the Internet and unlimited access to information; it certainly helps, knowing what you're dealing with (esp. for people with obsessive thoughts, I'm guessing, as they might be quite disconcerting, so much so that if you didn't know what was going on, you might think you were a pervert or something).

And yeah, compulsions do have a way of sneaking up on you when your defences are down... in Brazil I was starting to develop a new one - I was taking so many showers that at one point I realised it wasn't just the ungodly heat anymore... throw in a bit of body dysmorphic disorder and if I didn't have to share the bathroom, I might never have left itWink

And those things have such a high degree of comorbidity, that sometimes you're not sure what to worry about first Drinking Beverage

05-03-2013, 11:03 AM
Yeah, I know this is way old, but I created it and damn right, I'm gonna resurrect it. Anyone want a piece of me? Dodgy

(Plus, we have lots of new folk now, so there may be other loonies among them, who might like to share something. Or not.)

Anyway, been under a fair amount of stress recently and have been catching myself going to some of my old ways (including, though rarely, some of the semi-religious ones). Also, the need to read a sentence or two out loud sometimes gets too strong. You know the one, where you have to say it just the right way. Pretty annoying.

The silliest, however (and it takes many shapes and forms), is how when I'm doing something I just have to finish it before moving on to the next one. Like, I make myself tea every day and even though I recently got some new flavours I really wanna try, I just have to finish the box I have open before opening a new one. And don't even get me started on colour matching and what it does to me when stuff is mismatched... [Image: fool.gif]

05-03-2013, 11:07 AM
(05-03-2013 11:03 AM)Vera Wrote:  Anyone want a piece of me? Dodgy

[Image: arquivo_hannibal_lecter-copy-702860.jpg]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
05-03-2013, 11:21 AM
(05-03-2013 11:07 AM)Vosur Wrote:  [Image: arquivo_hannibal_lecter-copy-702860.jpg]
[Image: vlcsnap13397690hf7.png]

Fingers be pieces, too, you know Dodgy

05-03-2013, 12:06 PM
I have very very mild OCD I suspect.

Worst case was probably the one time I got on the bus to go to work, got a few blocks from home and got off the bus to walk home...because I wasn't sure if the door was locked or not Consider
05-03-2013, 10:50 PM
I feel like the odd one out, here. I got nothing Undecided

Interesting reading, though Drinking Beverage

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
11-03-2013, 07:48 PM
OCD
I've got OCD, but I consider it somewhat mild because I can cope with it, and its not debilitating enough to use meds.

I'm a counter, I count my steps in 4's and my left foot always has to be the even numbers and if there are cracks, my left foot has to hit them and typically it's on the 4th step. Stairs are a nightmare because I have to do them in some multiple of 4, so I use weird patterns of skipping steps. It helps that I memorize steps in places like work and home so I know how to approach them without having to worry about doing a 3 or 4 stair skip. The counting especially sucks at work, I'm a print operator and when breaking down reports I tend to count them in sets of 4. I print about 1,000 reports per shift so it gets annoying.

Whenever I am stressed I click my dentures against the few natural teeth i have and twist my beard, so I make sure to keep my beard trimmed to where its too short to twist.

I also have some weird obsessive thoughts when my anxiety is high, such as my wife leaving me and taking our son or when I'm driving its often just a visual picture of running my car off the road.
11-03-2013, 08:10 PM
Wow, that reminded me of counting my steps. I had pretty much forgotten that. When I was pre-teen till I was away from home for a while, I also counted steps. I am not certain but I think my number was 13 because that was the number of steps up to the bedrooms and also the number of steps down to the basement. It must have been the stress of the crazy that filled our house...counting was something where I felt like I had control and there was no deviation or surprise.

As a weird, loner kid who was often grounded I did end up with another quirk that I think was a bit on the OCD side...this was when there was three channels and no computers so entertainment options were different. I would put together jigsaw puzzles in a very specific order usually based on color then would turn the pieces over and put them together again with the plain side up this time by the shape of the piece. All like pieces were, of course, carefully sorted and lined up in specific areas.

But my compulsions really didn't ever cause any issues and most people didn't know about them.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy